• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Animation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote
do any of you think that anime gets better drawn further into the series, gets worse, or stays the same?

And what about little details? like when in inuyasha the tesusiega gets repaired and it's still dented and crappy looking.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
It really depends. Most of the time it seems that the first couple episodes are the best, but occasionally they'll bring in some better animators for a couple episodes in the middle (Haibane Renmei and Samurai Champloo are good examples). And it really depends on what your definition of good animation is. For example: On a technical level, the animation in Macross declined throughout the course of the series. But because there wasn't as much post production work, the animation in the last couple episodes had more personality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote
As jfrog has mentioned, most of the anime I have seen have their best animation in the first few episodes, and in the opening and closing sequences. They blow their budget on these and subsequently, the animation gets worse (even Last Exile but it was not as noticeable). There are a few series that have very consistent, good animation quality throughout the run of the series (CCD and Escaflowne come to mind) but these are rare.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
It really depends. Most of the time it seems that the first couple episodes are the best, but occasionally they'll bring in some better animators for a couple episodes in the middle (Haibane Renmei and Samurai Champloo are good examples). And it really depends on what your definition of good animation is. For example: On a technical level, the animation in Macross declined throughout the course of the series. But because there wasn't as much post production work, the animation in the last couple episodes had more personality.

I thought the animation in Macross SDF improved as the series went on.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kainzero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
most of the anime I have seen have their best animation in the first few episodes, and in the opening and closing sequences.

this is true.

it depends on budgeting and length of series.
totally unrelated, but i know that the simpsons has looked more crisp as time progresses.

for most 13/26 ep series though, they get money and spend it how they see fit. a lot of it is put into opening sequence and first few episodes because they want to attract new viewers. the animation got REALLY crappy in ep 25-26 of ROD TV. the first two eps of Tenjou Tenge had some nice animation, but later eps had some pretty stale fights.

and of course, sometimes animation just looks weird... ep 9-2 of 2x2 shinobuden, shinobu just looks a lot more different than in the rest of the eps.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching the 13-episode Mezzo: Danger Service Agency and noticing how the animation got worse in the middle. That was also, when just casually glancing at the closing credits, I thought I started seeing more Korean names (company names as well as names of persons) when they mentioned animators. As usual, the opening and closing sequences were good and so were the first few episode. You could really see a difference in the character animations as the series progressed.

Oh, BTW, great rocking soundtrack too.
Osaka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Animation quality does change as the series progresses. Other than what everyone else has said I can add that in most cases 'filler episodes' have less quality, most likely because they are not essential to the storyline and are there to buy time.
Toboe06

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Kainzero and others about budgets. Sometimes the companies can run out of money, and will need to worry about where to put the majority of it. Sometimes this majority isn't in the animation department, where lack of quality can result.

Another reason for lack of quality is when the animators have to meet a deadline for their artwork to be handed in. At the beginning of a series, there isn't really a deadline, because, obviously, they haven't launched their product yet. But as the year goes on, they can run into problems and not spend as much time on the details. (I believe this is why recap episodes were introduced, they could use previously used artwork and not spend time on more frames).

Or else, people just get lazy.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It's not a matter of laziness, a lot of the time they don't use the same animators all the way through a series. So it's not that they ran out of money, but that they only budgeted a couple episodes to be done by really good people. That would draw people in, and once viewers got hooked on the story they could switch over to animators with less experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Toboe06

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
So it's still a budgeting issue. I do agree with you that laziness is not usually an issue (that was meant as a joke), and I also recognize the fact that different animators are called in for different episodes. (I do also find it amusing that after people are treated to wonderfully animated introductions, they end up with crap later on, although I would believe it to be true.)

But I'm still going to stick with the deadline issue. I don't have a specific example, but often after gorgeous fight scenes they will have long gaps of dialogue. This is because the animation studio spent all of their time on the first half and possibly didn't have time for the second half of the episode.
jfrog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
The other way around, probably. The second half of the episode was easily animated shots of people sitting around talking so they could spend more time on the fight scenes. Anime studios aren't as lazy as people think they are.
Toboe06

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:24 pm Reply with quote
::chuckle:: ..... Isn't that what I said? I'm not implying the animators are lazy. If they were, we wouldn't have the kinds of show we do now.
True_Knight_Blue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I cant belive I'm posting. ^^;
I dont get how to use this thing at all...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:54 pm Reply with quote
True_Knight_Blue wrote:
Wow... I can't belive I'm posting. ^^;
I don't get how to use this thing at all...

Hmmm... must have never been online before or even been on a forum.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
roboticservo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I can see the characters get more defined as the series progresses. In the beginning the characters seem to be bland, but maybe its because as the series progresses you learn more about the characters and pay closer attention to their actions.

Matt
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2