• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Card Captor Sakura

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE Card Captor Sakura! I already have all 12 volumes of the TokyoPop releases so no Omnibuses for me! And I've just recently started getting back into the anime after a long hiatus. I can't wait to finish it! Very Happy
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Wandering-Dreamer wrote:
Quote:
Also, gotta ask, am I the only one around her with that book of the Clow Cards?

Yes, I have that. Also a plush Kero chan, two different sets of small figures, the Tokyo Pop manga, all the TV series in individual discs, the movies, some 9inch dolls and most recently the Dark Horse Omnibus.

You don't have to be young or female to like this series.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Great article this week jason, I really enjoy reading your articles. You're like, my favorite ANN coumnist here. You know what you're talking about and seem to really enjoy your work. Keep it up! Cool

I love Cardcaptor Sakura. It is such a cute, warm and comforting manga. It might not be that exciting, but it's warmth and tenderness is it's strong point. It's a manga (and anime) one can watch while sitting back and relaxing, it won't send you to the edge of your seat or give you a huge adrenaline rush. I already own all 12 unflipped volumes by Tokyopop, but I recently got the omnibus by Dark Horse in the mail. Dark Horse gave it a new and better translation, which is why I'm double-dipping. Also, I love the covers. That's how the Cardcaptor Sakura manga was released in Japan: Sakura in front of a white background with pink borders.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really into shojo titles but CCS was really appealing. Two things I'll that surprised a lot are those "forbidden relationships" (I never realized such things when the show first aired and I was about ten Shocked ) and how mature can 10-year old children be (I was a freaking brat in comparison at that age). About the insert of illustrations like flowers, I found it kind of funny in X/1999 as feathers appeared almost everywhere (it was like if they were hunting ducks Laughing ) Anywhere, the huge contrast between CCS and X/1999 really shows that is not wrong calling Clamp experts in manga
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Great article this week jason, I really enjoy reading your articles. You're like, my favorite ANN coumnist here. You know what you're talking about and seem to really enjoy your work. Keep it up! Cool
Seconded.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I never did read the CCS manga, and never finished the anime (not for lack of wanting - I can still hear the "Catch-you catch-me catch-me catch-you catch-me matteeeeee~" looping in my mind), but I always enjoyed what I did see of it. It's a series that really functions at multiple levels. You have the obvious magical girl pedigree, but also kind of a wink-nudge about it because the whole "magical girl" aspect to it is kind of manufactured by Tomoyo. And as the article mentions, a lot of the relationships in the series are very non-traditional, when you think about it. It's something that makes you consider the characters more individually. Sakura was definitely moe before moe was in fashion.

Also, this line, "In a medium where pages often look like they were rescued from an exploding screentone factory, their linework is incredibly clear and delicate," totally cracked me up. I just thought about how many shoujo series have that toner-laden, oddly flat look. I was never a big fan of CLAMP's old stuff, so their newer art styles where they have cleaner shapes and lines (like xxxHolic) is definitely more appealing, artistically.

It's good to hear that King of RPGs Vol. 2 is coming out! I really enjoyed the first, in that way where you laugh at a hilarious but kind of mean-spirited joke, only to realize you're really laughing at yourself too. If I had artistic skill, I would roll for initiative on those great t-shirts.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I watched the anime before I read the manga, simply because at that time I just didn't read manga. The thing is, I have no idea why I ever watched it in the first place. I absolutely adore Card Captor Sakura, but I had never watched Cardcaptors, I had never gone to any anime forums, I was and am not the target audience (at the time being a male in my mid 20's) so I really can't explain what possessed me to pick up a title like this, other than the fact that I already enjoyed shoujo titles like Sailor Moon and Fushigi Yuugi, so there were very few genres that I wasn't at least open to trying.

That said, this article, while focusing on the manga, also describes quite well why I collected all the singles for this and waited with bated breath for each DVD to come out. It also is why when I did start getting into manga that CCS immediately found its way into my collection.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote
I might pick up the Dark Horse edition someday but I love my collection of the single issues for the first half (not single volumes, single chapter comic-book style issues). Anyone else remember these? The paper size is so big!
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
I like this article. I'm not into shoujo or magical girl stuff, but Cardcaptor Sakura is so sweet and charming that you can't help but love it.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
Cardcaptor Sakura is so sweet and charming that you can't help but love it.

Uh...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
CLAMP should get back to writing these kinds of manga. CLAMP is not as relevant anymore as they were back in the late 90's / early 00's. CLAMP got superseded by the new fad of loli ecchi stuff.
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:04 am Reply with quote
I keep reading that Dark Horse canceled their plans for the future omnibuses of CCS-- can anyone confirm or deny that? I was thinking about collecting them because, while I own all of CCS, it's a combination of the tiny Mixx graphic novels, the Mixx comic-book format ones, and the TP ones.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
I keep reading that Dark Horse canceled their plans for the future omnibuses of CCS-- can anyone confirm or deny that?

It's still listed as coming out on 27/07/2011 on Dark Horse's website. One would think that a cancellation would be unlikely as it's a very popular series, and a lot of people agree that their new edition is superior to Tokyopop's. I paid £15 for the first Omnibus Volume at my local comic shop, so I certainly hope they don't cancel the release.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
I own the first six volume that Kodansha released in English/Japanse format. I own the last six in Tokyopop form. Then the Omnibus came out, and I bought that. I own the entire anime [subbed] series, as well as the movies.

Fan much? Very Happy

I just need those damn Clow cards...I knew I should have picked them up when I saw them!

I'm really glad CCS is getting some attention again. It was a great series when it came out, and a whole new generation deserves the chance to read it. Smile CLAMP's other series that I *highly* recommend is Wish. That was not only cute, it was funny.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:00 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Saturn wrote:
I keep reading that Dark Horse canceled their plans for the future omnibuses of CCS-- can anyone confirm or deny that?

It's still listed as coming out on 27/07/2011 on Dark Horse's website. One would think that a cancellation would be unlikely as it's a very popular series, and a lot of people agree that their new edition is superior to Tokyopop's. I paid £15 for the first Omnibus Volume at my local comic shop, so I certainly hope they don't cancel the release.

Yeah I got the first CCS omnibus and volume two is still listed on Barnes and Noble dot com but after that nothing else is listed.

And I cant even find either of the Magic Knight Rayearth omnibus even though I pre orderd volume one six months in advance than they said they couldnt fill my order.

same story with the Chobits volume two omnibus wich I pre orderd again six month in advance and never got but ended up haveing to pay full retale price for.

I dont know if Dark Horse has problems with distrubution or it's a problem on B&N's part but it's just annoying when this type of thing happans
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4