• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you feel is the most important part of anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I personally enjoy most anime with a good story line and a good musical score. As was sent in a letter to and I will spread to you all please be specific so this those not turn into a list thread.

Last edited by balla on Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DragonofHeaven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I would say that the most important part of anime is a likable cast of characters. Some series, like Excel Saga, have little plot but are still amusing because of the crazy but fun characters. Musical score is also important but it doesn't have to be something like Yuki Kajiura's works that makes a series good. Same thing goes for animation. Older series are most likely not as eye-catching as newer productions such as thsoe done by Gonzo. So, in my opinion, character-audience relations would be what makes or breaks a series.
quaze6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:51 pm Reply with quote
a good polt isnt so good without good, complex characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Everyone prefer:
Good Plot
Good character
Good music
Good subtitle/Dub

End of topic.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:22 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Everyone prefer:
Good Plot
Good character
Good music
Good subtitle/Dub

End of topic.

LOL, yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Though if a series is particularly strong in one of those aspects, it doesn't matter so much about the others. For example, you can have an utterly amazing series with a poor music score, but if the story is good, that's all that matters.

Unless, of course, you prefer the Big Boobs and Pantyshots genre of anime. In that case, your only criterion is breast size and number of assshots.
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:26 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Unless, of course, you prefer the Big Boobs and Pantyshots genre of anime. In that case, your only criterion is breast size and number of assshots.

Hahaha! Really fun! As if anyone would say "I like this hentai, just by it's music...". Anyways, that's still anime, and I haven't nothing agaisnt it...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:

Hahaha! Really fun! As if anyone would say "I like this hentai, just by it's music...". Anyways, that's still anime, and I haven't nothing agaisnt it...

I'm ashamed to admit it, but the only reason I watch anime based off dating sims and bishoujo games is for the music. I absolutely love the sweet, generic JPop they use in all of them (Go I've/KOTOKO go!). Thoroughly addicting. Very Happy
quaze6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

yay big boobs and pantyshots!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Everyone prefer:
Good Plot
Good character
Good music
Good subtitle/Dub

End of topic.

LOL, yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Though if a series is particularly strong in one of those aspects, it doesn't matter so much about the others. For example, you can have an utterly amazing series with a poor music score, but if the story is good, that's all that matters.

Of course if one is into the hentai side of it, then none of those matters. Wink
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
the most important thing is the characters, would you want to watch a show if the charcters were all annoying, poorly drawn, and "ugly"? i think not.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
the most important thing is the characters, would you want to watch a show if the charcters were all annoying, poorly drawn, and "ugly"? i think not.

Yes. Ugly character design doesn't make an anime bad. If it did, how would Escaflowne ever have become popular?
Zenitram

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:06 pm Reply with quote
For me, characters are sometimes more important than plot. If the show has a villian/monster/whatever of the week formula, but cool/funny/interesting characters, I'll watch it. Nice animation is also important, theres one reason I can't watch Reign.....
And music is important also.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:

Yes. Ugly character design doesn't make an anime bad. If it did, how would Escaflowne ever have become popular?
The same goes with any of Rumiko's designs. The faces are so blocky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rendart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess most of it is personal preference. Personally I like anime that has a good character development, and plot advancement.

-Rendart
(thought I would have more to say) *shrug*
kainzero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:58 pm Reply with quote
i'd say that good character/character interaction would top it all off for me.

one of my favorite anime, stellvia, has one of the most cliche'd plots i've ever seen. but the excellent characters really make it phenomenal.

for some reason i'm not so interested in plot ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2