• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game Round 5~!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
correct. Up for grabs.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
"These individuals hide in the shadows. They're constantly inventing new enemies, ensuring war is always raging somewhere--the merchants of death, the military industrial complex."
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, rather wild guess. Although I feel like I have heard it elsewhere as well.

spoiler[Gundam Seed Destiny. Speaker should be Gilbert Durandal. And context should be a worldwide broadcast, and proclamation of war against Blue Cosmos (more like annihilation).]

Surely you're not yet another Justin Bailey, Sword Magess, BES, etc...? You enigmatic creature oh you. Laughing
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Hmm, rather wild guess. Although I feel like I have heard it elsewhere as well.

spoiler[Gundam Seed Destiny. Speaker should be Gilbert Durandal. And context should be a worldwide broadcast, and proclamation of war against Blue Cosmos (more like annihilation).]

Surely you're not yet another Justin Bailey, Sword Magess, BES, etc...? You enigmatic creature oh you. Laughing

Correct.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Hah.

I'll leave this turn open. If someone wants to pick it up, you have about two hours before I find a new quote. Unless I crash.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
*Snags open turn*

A: Looks like the enemy is desperate, too. I wonder how much the people of this Earth have fought?

B: If you look at the number of eyes, you should be able to tell.

A: So they've fought a bit... In order to protect their own Earth.

*Moment of silence (a few seconds)*

A: They're different... This Earth and our Earth are different.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Definitely know the anime. But god help me memory when it comes to context and speaker. They just had too many main characters. Cool
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Here be hints [for egoist to trigger his memory and others]:

Hint #1: spoiler[Character A is expecting a younger brother.]

Hint #2: spoiler[Character B is similar to Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica's mascot, Kyubey, in the sense that they're both manipulative.]

They be some mighty big hints.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Dung Beetle to Maki, Bokurano. Context is that this is the first time the children go to another Earth to fight, and so they realise the scale of the fight as well as just who their enemies have been.]

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Oh, got it.

spoiler[Maki Ano is Character A, and B is Dung Beetle. Bokurano.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Yup, that is correct. That show seems... Rather unpopular. I don't know a lot of people that watch/talk about it.

EDIT: (5 P.M. EST)

Just saw dtm42's post. So I guess the point goes to him, unless egoist adds in context, then I'll give the point to him.

EDIT2: Point officially goes to dtm42, since he added in correct context.

@TKoH, it's understandable, I would like the game to move on, but since dtm42 is on, I guess we can wait for dtm42's quote to pop up. I'll adopt that policy next time it happens.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that's a relief because I was about to search for a quote. Laughing
I don't care about the points, which is why I stopped doing monthly updates on the score. Wink
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
EDIT: (5 P.M. EST)

Just saw dtm42's post. So I guess the point goes to him, unless egoist adds in context, then I'll give the point to him.

This was brought up in the last thread by DerektheRed, but I'll bring it up again: This "Oh wait, dtm42's post was delayed...I guess he gets it" needs to stop. I don't mean to slight dtm42, but we can't backtrack points because of him because he's being moderated. And even though not everyone plays for points, I do, and I'd be pretty pissed if I lost a point because his post was delayed and came before mine. If it's seen he gets the point, but if someone else is declared right before it is, it shouldn't suddenly transfer to him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
@The King of Harts,

1) Like you, the points mean something to me and, while I find it frustrating when I think I've won a point only to find tha I was pipped by a moderated post (don't forget it has happened to me twice), I think it's poor sportsmanship to claim the point when someone else clearly posted the correct answer before me.

2) In fairness to dtm42, the problem is the time it takes for the moderators to view and approve the post.

I like to see the game moving quickly. When I provided the quote that led to the recent discussion, dtm42 had PM'd me the correct answer. I could have done two things: posted immediately I saw it (which I did) or wait until the forum post had been moderated. If people are going to pinch dtm42's point I am inclided in future, out of my sense of fairness, to do nothing until their forum post appears. This will, of course, slow down the game.

My suggestion
dtm42 sends via a PM a copy of his forum post to the person providing the quote. If correct, the quote provider notifies the thread that dtm42 has the correct answer. dtm42 gets the point but the next quote can be provided by anyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that dtm42 broke forum rules to be moderated in the first place, but we're still molding the game around him despite that.

My suggestion: If his post is seen and it's right, he gets the point. But if a later post is approved before his post is seen, he doesn't get the point. He broke the board rules and we shouldn't make exceptions for him.

What I really want: He shouldn't be allowed to play until he's off moderation. His posts being moderated, and thus postponed, is affecting the game in a negative way, so it'd be easier to just not allow him to play. I understand that's tough, but, well, he shouldn't have broken the rules.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 100