• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(OT) Joining the Japanese club: Can anybody give me Advice?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I recently decided to join the Japanese club because I heard that they show manga and anime. Another reason is that I have an interest in Japanese culture. I'm not one of those crazy purist fanboys who are so obsessed with everything Japanese and hate everything American. I've always had an interest in other cultures mostly in Japanese culture because of me being an anime fan. That doesn't mean I'm gonna start wearing Japanese clothes everywhere I go, or speak Japanese.

Anyway, I'm having second thoughts of joining it because I'm a little embarrassed of joining the Japanese club because I'm not Japanese. I know it's ridiculous and stupid. But can anybody offer any advice?
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Go to the first meeting, THEN decide whether you want to go back or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
One of the reasons why I'm nervous about going to the Japanese club is that i might be the only guy there who's not Japanese and that I might not fit in.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Again:
Cookie wrote:
Go to the first meeting, THEN decide whether you want to go back or not.

Don't walk away from it just because you don't know and are worried. Educate yourself. Make a fool of yourself, if you have to, and THEN learn from your mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I was in the Japanese club in high school and the Asian Club. The Japanese club president during my time was my best friend in school, a Chinese chick. Anyway, just do it. It's not meant to be a club exclusive to Japanese kids, but to learn about the culture and/or language. And I was the number one member in the 2000-2001 school year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
One of the reasons why I'm nervous about going to the Japanese club is that i might be the only guy there who's not Japanese and that I might not fit in.

Like the others said, don't worry about that. Get to know some of the people, go to the first meeting, and see if you like it. If you don't then don't go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kainzero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:20 am Reply with quote
the japanese club at my university is like a big party club. same with the chinese club.

like everyone else said, check it out first... just because it has a japanese label doesn't mean it'll suit you. or maybe it will.

i like anime but the anime club scares me so i don't join =P
Dilandau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:02 am Reply with quote
I am not Asian, but I was a member of the SE Asian club in High School, and the Japanese Club in Uni...I wasn't the only non-Asian, and most of the time they don't really focus on anything very Asian anyway. From my experience at least.

Give it a go.
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:06 am Reply with quote
Go for it! You have nothing to lose. You'll most probably make some very good friends along the way too.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
All you have to do is be open and willing to get to know people. I wasn't a part of any clubs or anything, but back in high school, at least my school in particular, all of the Asian students were nice and very social to everyone (although, I think most of us were in the Honors and GT classes Razz).

And being Asian myself, I can at least say all of the other Asian people I've known in life are very easy to get along with (but don't assume all Asians are that nice Wink). Anyway, just go in there and do some mingling, and I'm sure you'll befriend quite a few of them. Mr. Green
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I actually tried joining one in HS, and did like it for a while, but it was almost always disorganized, so I got bored and left. Of course, my school wasn't the place that would seriously invest in extracurricular activities, which is why they banned football when some guy busted his head playing it on the concrete, instead of actually refurnishing the concrete with grass.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
All you have to do is be open and willing to get to know people. I wasn't a part of any clubs or anything, but back in high school, at least my school in particular, all of the Asian students were nice and very social to everyone (although, I think most of us were in the Honors and GT classes Razz).

And being Asian myself, I can at least say all of the other Asian people I've known in life are very easy to get along with (but don't assume all Asians are that nice Wink). Anyway, just go in there and do some mingling, and I'm sure you'll befriend quite a few of them. Mr. Green

Heh, heh. I don't assume that since I'm Asian too. Anyway, I'll give it a try. I don't really have anything to lose. Thanks guys. Smile
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote
If you're Asian, what's the problem? I know Asia is not Japan, but I thought the problem is that you were a "westerner". I mean, I, let's say, an European, joining a japanese club at an american high school/university, that would be at somehow embarassing...

However, Good Luck! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1