• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wolf's Rain theme on Passions!?!?! [Day time soap]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
While re-hooking up my PSX today, My TV was set to channel 4 where Passions happened to be playing. While I was hooking it up, I heard a background theme from Wolf's Rain. It was spot on, I'm sure of it.

My question is, WTF is Yoko Kanno's music doing in Passions?! Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:51 pm Reply with quote
BTW, whats Passions?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:53 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
BTW, whats Passions?

It's a daytime soap-opera. Like Days of our lives or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
Which theme, "Gravity?!"

As wacky as the writer/producer/creator of Passions is suppose to be he probably heard it on Wolf's Rain, either on Adult Swim or might have even picked up the DVD or CD. He's suppose to be quite a charcter from what I've read. Keep in mind he had a Bewitched plot theme (1960's TV show) going on Passions when it first started (he even got the actor who played Doctor Bombay to do a cameo in a early episode!).

Anyway, all TV shows have to do to air music from other shows is get clearence and pay the people in involved. Of course nothings quite that simple. The main reason U.S. TV doesn't use a lot of popular music/artist is simply money. The fees for TV shows to use music are often huge (bigger than some shows single episode budgets Shocked ), with record companies, artists and writers all needing to get a cut. So most shows don't bother with using music or they re-record things so they don't have to pay as much (one recent exception is WB made shows - they use artists who are on their own record label, which cross promotes artists and skips over a lot of red tape, as well).

Daytime Soaps seem to have a more of an ablity to use music at a lower pay rate but I'm not sure why. However, I know they have different all around contracts from primetime TV shows so I think it's part of that overall situation (well for one thing Soaps barely get re-run or show up on DVD).

Anyway, I've heard that Soaps have used anime music before. Supposedly one show used the end theme from Big O for some love story they were doing. It might have been Passions but I don't know - I don't watch Passions (did for a while when it first started but it didn't hold my interest) but I might take a peak in if they are using Wolf's Rain music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1