• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wandering Son (TV) aka Horou Musuko.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
do they feel uncomfortable with the gender as a whole and wish they had been born different?
Yes (if referring to Nitori-kun and Takatsuki). Also however, I don't like giving away spoilers, but I will say in the first episode there were a total of spoiler[six] characters we meet who crossdress (or used to). I think it is interesting because we get a little taste of the many different reasons people have for wearing the opposite sex's clothes.
For Chizu, she said it pretty plainly; because it's cool. Takatsuki is envious of her because she can't simply put on a boy's uniform for the sake of being cool. It has a different meaning for her.

Yep this episode starts the story in the exact same place as where I started reading the manga. Darn it I was hoping I wouldn't have to go find those volumes now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode one felt like the first episode in the second season. There's clearly quite a bit of backstory that we don't know about but was alluded to. And the characters aren't just beginning to question their gender identity and cross-dress but have been doing so for some time now. I don't think that this is an automatically bad thing - it allows us to get into the heart of a story faster - but it does mean things were more confusing than otherwise.

I've said previously on the forums that if the show could treat its issues and themes with respect and sensitivity (i.e. not overly-dramatise), then it would almost certainly be a Masterpiece, or close to it. I want to reserve judgement for a bit longer, but from what I've seen so far, this has the potential to be one of the best shows of the year. Quiet, almost unassuming, but extremely touching, it is a rare breed in Anime. I actually got vibes of Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei from it, not from the subject matter mind you but rather the tone and presentation.

Speaking of presentation, the character designs and general art style are odd and a touch simplistic, but I don't mind them much. A bit too shiny as well, but really, they're passable, and that's all they needed to be. This is not a show to watch because you want pretty visuals, but rather, the visuals are there solely to tell a story. As long as the art does not detract from the emotions - and it doesn't - then there's no problem.

I have decided that - barring a major meltdown in the show's quality - I will keep watching till the end. I don't need three episodes to see that this is another wonderful noitaminA series.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, kinda of ambivalent about this one. Like most people, I love the look. I don't get a Shinkai vibe at all - in fact, his use of light is totally different then the soft, gauzy look here. Shinkai veers more toward photo realism (in 5 Centimeters Per Second) than virtually anybody else.

I did have a hard time connecting who was who, but I think I was catching on by the end. I have to admit that cross-dressing and transgender topics just don't interest me. However, the scene on the bridge when Nitori spoiler[was sobbing as Takatsuki watched was pretty heart-breaking.]

I dunno, I'll give it the ole college try, but right now I'm not super-absorbed in this.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute... They're just starting middle school? What? This is so odd. I would've thought they were at least already starting their second year of middle school, seeing how they've mentioned dating and stuff. Maybe I'm relationship-knowledge deficient or something. Anyway, I didn't get confused as to whether or not I was watching the right episode (since this is the only episode out), but I felt like they threw us into the mix just a bit too deeply. Now I know why. I'm expecting them to reveal the past chapters in the next episode or two, or maybe stuff 'em into flashbacks.

Also, the style of the series is lovably soft, but it's hard to watch such watercolor-like images on a computer screen. I love the style and all, but it doesn't feel right. Cringed at the opening too. Too much vibrato for my ears! Does not match music style of series (meaning, piano Razz)!

Well, whatever. This was my most anticipated series of the season, and it's still quite good. I'll be following this one, probably until it ends.
Ringking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
I'll agree that the artwork was gorgeous (the cherry blossoms did have a Shinkai feeling to them) but as for the story itself I guess I just don't really get it. It's hard for me to enjoy something when I can't empathize with the characters. Is it just about crossdressing, and that they feel more comfortable dressing as the opposite gender, or do they feel uncomfortable with the gender as a whole and wish they had been born different? Are they attracted to the opposite sex? It seems at least the main character is as he was spoiler[turned down by I forget her name but I take it it's the girl who wants to either dress like a boy or be a boy, and is that her mother that bought her the boy's uniform? From the way she talks in that scene I couldn't tell if she meant she was also the same way or just that she wished someone understood her as well as the girls friend did.].

Thats another big thing they missed out of the anime. The woman pictured there isn't Yoshino's mother, she's spoiler[a transvestite that that Shuu meets on on of his crossdressed outings and becomes friends with. She played the role of catalyst for a lot of the stuff that goes on.]
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
I think this show is really suffering from the fact that it skipped four volumes of manga. We don't know the background of the characters but the show assumes we do.

It also introduces like 10 characters in rapidfire order. So many names, so similar names. We have Sa-chan, Sasa-chan, Chi-chan, Chiba-chan... How the heck are we supposed to keep them straight? I've read the manga so I can, but with how quick this is jumping in... we're not given an opportunity to breath. Hourou Musuko wanders, it slowly meanders in the manga, but this is way too fast.

It even weakens Nitorin's crying on the bridge cause... we haven't been given any time to really form any sort of emotional attachment to him yet.

A very weak start for my most anticipated show.
killmyself

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote
This was the only new show this season I was really looking forward to seeing and the first episode didn't disappoint. I was kind of dreading they would ruin the concept in typical anime trope fashion but was put to ease rather quickly. I like that they are presenting the main characters emotions and feelings as evolving and hard to explain instead of trying to force the issue in a cliched way.

Nayu wrote:
I think this show is really suffering from the fact that it skipped four volumes of manga. We don't know the background of the characters but the show assumes we do.

It also introduces like 10 characters in rapidfire order. So many names, so similar names. We have Sa-chan, Sasa-chan, Chi-chan, Chiba-chan... How the heck are we supposed to keep them straight? I've read the manga so I can, but with how quick this is jumping in... we're not given an opportunity to breath. Hourou Musuko wanders, it slowly meanders in the manga, but this is way too fast.

It even weakens Nitorin's crying on the bridge cause... we haven't been given any time to really form any sort of emotional attachment to him yet.

A very weak start for my most anticipated show.

I haven't read the manga and won't because it ruins the anime every time. I had no trouble following the first episode and they will most likely explain the past of the characters with continued flashbacks and references as it goes. I don't think they are assuming everyone has read the manga they probably just felt like this was the better starting point for the series.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
Thats another big thing they missed out of the anime. The woman pictured there isn't Yoshino's mother, she's spoiler[a transvestite that that Shuu meets on on of his crossdressed outings and becomes friends with. She played the role of catalyst for a lot of the stuff that goes on.]

No spoiler[she is not a transvestite. She's a transwoman who, from what I got from the manga I think is already post-op. She is a woman and has a boyfriend who sees her as a woman. ] She gives perspective to the story because both Shu and Yoshino look up to her and Yuki respects the 2 kids for not being as alone in a cruel world of people who don't understand their problems.

I kind of like the approach this took in the first episode. They briefly introduced each of the supporting characters, including ones involved with crossdressing themselves who will impact Shu's and Yoshino's lives and decistions. I can't wait to see how it's played out.
ansemaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
As a transsexual anime fan, this is potentially one of the most important anime I've seen released in a very long time. It's an insightful, well-written, heart-wrenching look into what life is like for a kid who has to go through something like that, and for those around them. I said very much the same thing when I read the manga that this is based on, and it holds true even now. It doesn't reduce gender and the state of being transgender to a "lol traps" joke or a one-off episode where someone is forced to crossdress. It looks at the reality of the matter, straight in the face.

I know for a fact that Takatsuki is probably the anime character I sympathize most with. This being out of every anime I've ever watched across time. It's not Oscar's situational upbringing as male in Rose of Versailles, it's not one of the million "reverse trap" characters who dress as boys as a disguise or to cater to somebody's tomboy fetish, it's a situation in which the character is actually FtM. That means a lot.

I just hope that Hourou Musuko means the same to others, and can maybe teach some new viewers a lesson. God knows people in the geek community need it.
Ringking

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Ringking wrote:

No spoiler[she is not a transvestite. She's a transwoman who, from what I got from the manga I think is already post-op. She is a woman and has a boyfriend who sees her as a woman. ] She gives perspective to the story because both Shu and Yoshino look up to her and Yuki respects the 2 kids for not being as alone in a cruel world of people who don't understand their problems.

Yeah, close enough. The scanlation i had had it translated as spoiler[transvestite] so...
kiddtic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I knew this show would be pretty deep but wow!. Makoto (Nitoris' best friend) asking himself whether he has a preference for boys or not hit me really hard and popped a whole lot of questions in my head.

Also the love triangle if you can call it that is very interesting, I cant wait to see how things turn out. I like Chibas' character theres a whole lot more to her and you can tell. its just a matter of time before even more drama is unraveled.

This is my favorite show this season and I hope it stays strong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vastoceans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I am really bad at dealing with angst in my anime; especially that of young people. I'm glad this episode ended on a bright note instead of dragging out the not getting along thing for multiple episodes but a lot of it was still hard to watch (punching pillows, throwing bags, shoving, OMG she didn't greet us!, I hate you!, etc.). I agree with kidd about the "I wonder if I'm attracted to boys?" line being one of the highlights of the episode (though I couldn't name the character that said it to save my life).

I still love the premise of this show and will continue to watch it but I find it to be one of the weaker outings of the season thus far. I'll admit the feeling probably has a lot to do with me looking forward to the show and having unreasonably high expectations. I don't know whether the rest of my lack of enthusiasm stems from the beginning of the story being skipped over or from the cast of characters being too wide to give anyone - including the main characters - significant screen time. Hopefully it will all come together in later episodes.
Thunderstorm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Second episode, like the first, was brilliant. Chiba is definitely an interesting character - there's more going on there than meets the eye. Makoto's discovery of his sexual preference also hit me as a "wow" moment. One of the great things about Wandering Son is how understated it is.

The episode also did an excellent job at setting up all the dynamics. Yoshino and Chiba, Chiba and Sasa, Makoto and Shuuichi - aspiring screenwriters should see this show just for the way Mari Okada executes the story.

There's only one flaw with it: I couldn't resist reading some of the manga (although I have my copy on pre-order to make up for it). I am all for what adaptation requires, but I wish they really started closer to the start, or at the start. The first episode did a pretty good job at covering what the viewer needed to know, but it struck me when Seya and Maho were talking. All of a sudden, they're talking about Seya being attracted to Shuuichi. How did that happen? I can't judge for completely new fans to the anime version, but I know I would have been baffled.

Mind you, those who never read the manga will be ignorantly bliss. This is my favourite show of the season.

Last edited by Thunderstorm on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
killmyself

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
The show is excellent. The pacing of the second episode was very good and we are now learning about a large amount of multi-layered characters in a natural flowing fashion. They are being presented from a more communal viewpoint than the typical introspective one you get with most shows. It gives off the feeling that the characters lives are intertwined rather than a group of people who are together via happenstance.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the second episode more than the first. I suppose it's because I'm slowly familiarizing myself with the characters (although it still gets confusing as to who is who at times), or maybe because they mainly focused on Chiba Saori. The flashback scene with her and Yoshino was excellent, with all that emptiness and awkwardness bundled together...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5