• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your first memorized anime theme song?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coykiesaol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
my first one is 'Sakura Kissu' of ouran highschool host club
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
Pokemon's first song of course, I think I memorised at the least 4 or 5 seasons' theme songs, and just last year I went back and was still able to sing the songs reasonably accuratly. As a member of the generation that had pokemon so big when I was a kid it is not surprising.

But most shows I watch now are in Japanese so it is fairly hard to memorise the words, exceptions include one of the openings of Rental Magica and the ending song of Spice and Wolf. Otherwise I am pretty sure I am murdering the song as I sing along to most of them.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon's opening, for sure. That's probably because even though I watched Pokemon all the time after school, I didn't get home until about the time they did the "Who's that Pokemon!" segment, so I didn't see the opening until years later when it changed channels and time slots. Of course, I still know the first opening for Pokemon, along with the other 12. Sailor Moon, however, came on at, I believe, 5 pm on Toonmai, so it was easy to catch at the beginning and learn the song.

I can actually do a lot of them, to be honest. There's all the Pokemon openings, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, the first Digimon, One Piece's Rap (including the prologue), and Shin Chan's closing. I also recently realized that I know a lot Cristina Vee's English version of Super Driver; there are still some slumps I'm not hearing right, but I know about 98% of it. I actually think it'd be pretty cool to learn all the English openings for anime, but it'd be hard for shows I've never seen since I'd have no connection to it. Of the ones I have heard, all I need is Tenchi Universe, Ouran, and Fruits Basket.

I also want to learn Cruel Angel's Thesis (Evangelion's OP) since it's my favorite. I'd probably butcher it because I don't know a lick of Japanese, but it'd be neat to sing a song in Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thegluestick1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
If anime video games count, it would be "Kiseki no Hono yo Moeagare!" from Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Burst Limit's what got me into anime, lol i know not a great intro Razz ). From the actual anime, Cha-La Head Cha-La.
<3 Hironobu Kageyama

ACTUALLY SCRAP THAT. Pokemon for sure Very Happy
wm4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
You are asking for favorite songs right ?

Judging from the title, I am afraid most of the answers would go to
songs of Doraemon and/or Astro Boy. Unless the person is birthed
at 90's and is still a kid today, then their answer might be different.
skulljoke90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Meitantei Holmes aka. Sherlock Dog or Ginga Nagarenboshi Gin
turtlesoupwins18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
pokemon, which looking back on it now its kinda sad, but anyway... "i wanna be the very best...!!!"
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Ruroni Kenshin's opening when it played on CN, back something like 9 or so years old, maybe? Don't know. Long time ago.

Since then, I've learned at least 75 other anime themes in japanese. Since I've been studying the language for about a year and a half, it's progressively been getting easier and easier.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was going to say. Mine was certainly the English version of Pokemon or Sailor Moon when I was a very young child.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Berserk's opening theme is probably the only one I know. I didn't even make any effort to memorise the lyrics but it was rather catchy. Before I know it, I'm singing along the lyrics to the opening theme.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Mine was also Pokemon's 1st OP. Almost impossible to get that jingle out of your head.

Other then that the next one would be Cruel Angel Thesis since NGE was the first show I saw subtitled.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
My first (and only entirely-memorized) was the full version of Gravitation's OP "SUPER DRIVE" by Yosuke Sakanoue. The song is so infectious I just had to be able to sing along in my car. I'm sure my pronunciation is ridiculously bad but I'm the only one who has to listen to it and I don't care. God, that show has a great soundtrack. I ended up importing his album with that song on it, as well as a handful of Kinya Kotani CDs/singles (he did the ED, as well as the singing voice of Shuichi).

I've loved quite a few theme songs since then but none have possessed me to just sit down and learn the lyrics like this one did. That's probably because I was still a new anime fan at the time and Gravi marked my discovery of the BL genre (though nowadays it seems downright quaint in that respect).

Nee, oikakete, oikakete, shiroi kaze...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
RebelsRogue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Katekyo Hitman Reborn's fourth & fifth OPs were my first. I had other theme songs mostly known but these were definately my favorite. lol, I can sing them to myself word for word now. ;3
Arsene Lupin III

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
It depends on what you mean by "memorized." For example, for a few years I could not get the theme music for Cowboy Bebop and Lupin the Third out of my head. I could very well remember them. They're just that memorable for me. Actually, about Lupin's theme, I still remembered it a couple years after Adult Swim cancelled it's airing, and thinking about it led me to rediscover it, in a way. I've always enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, pretty much, but lately I've also rediscovered it after not viewing it for a while.

I would have to say that their theme songs are a major part of what makes the series so memorable for me. Does anyone else feel like this with regard to your favorite shows?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4