• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Hey Derek, Don't forget...

6. For Rounds 1 and 2, voters are required to justify in detail at least one pick for each group.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Right, new rules...

(Since I last participated, anyway)
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Tsume

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.
Naomi Armitage, Armitage III franchise

Kambei Shimba

Group A-3
Izumi Curtis, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Izumi Curtis

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.
Nanashi, Sword of the Stranger

Eikichi Onizuka

Group A-5
Michiko Malandro , Michiko to Hatchin
vs.
Johannes Krauzer II, Detroit Metal City

Michiko Malandro

Group A-6
Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise
vs.
Hideo Kuze, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

Roy Mustang

For me probably the hardest match up this round. Kuze is charistatic, he draws people like a magnet, and his skill as a fighter is of course second to Kusanagi's. However, my vote stays with Mustang- a man who openly (and on numerous occasions) states he wants to stand at the top of the military, which dpes not make him very popular among his higher-ups. Ambitious, egocentric, yet highly skilled- Mustang is known throughout the whole country for his flame alchemy and not a lot of people would liketo fight him face-to-face if they can avoid it. Plus, a delightful 'general cool' trait- he seems to be very popular among cute nurses.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.
Deunan Knute, Appleseed franchise

Deunan Knute

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.
Nanoha Takemachi, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Guts

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Teresa

Group A-10
Claire Stanfield, Baccano!
vs.
Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld, Code Geass

Claire Stanfield

Group A-11
Date Masamune, Sengoku Basara
vs.
Brandon/Beyond the Grave, Gungrave

Brandon/Grave

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Haruko Haruhara

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Kenpachi Zaraki

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.
Shiki Ryougi, Kara no Kyokai

Shiki Ryougai

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Shichika Yasuri, Kanagatari[/quote]

Mugen
cashballer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Naomi Armitage

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Mirielle Bouquet

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Nanashi

Group A-5
vs.

Johannes Krauzer II

Group A-6
vs.

Roy Mustang

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Simon
I agree the second picture makes him look like a wuss.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Nanoha Takemachi
Honestly the toughest matchup I can imagine right now. I know Guts is going to win, and it's a real shame Nanoha is probably going to get bumped out this early, so I'm giving her a pity vote. Both characters are incredibly badass. Some of the stunts Nanoha pulls are definitely on par to rival Guts, and I think that picture of her is perfect for this tournament. This round makes me sad Sad

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Teresa
Wow, another one? This tournament is going to be really tough for me, I guess. I have to say Teresa is definitely more badass than Triela, although Triela is a tough contender.

Group A-10
vs.

Claire Stanfield
I'm not a big fan of Claire, but I don't think of Kallen as very badass at all; she strikes me as more subordinate and indecisive throughout most of the series, and more "shy" than "lone wolf."

Group A-11
vs.

Brandon

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Haruko Haruhara

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Saber
Another tough one, but I have to go with Saber. She demonstrates both types of badass throughout Fate/Stay (and the UBW movie, although in a less major role). Outside of combat she maintains her noble, solemn composure at all times, despite the stupidity of her master. She never fails to show the respectable honor of any good knight. As soon as the action starts, she throws herself into the fray to defend her companions. The strongest of the servants, she wields an immensely powerful sword and has technique and special abilities to match. Saber is handicapped in nearly every battle she fights, and still defeats her opponents at their own games, without the use of underhanded tactics.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Shiki Ryougi
I'm surprised this is the only one, so far, where I don't know much about either character.

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei
He's just so incredibly badass.

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Shichika Yasuri, Kanagatari

Mugen
Definitely.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Tough one. Kenpachi is really badass, but besides that, he's just an empty and badly developed fella. Saber, that is.

He is developed, or at least his backstory shown to us (and not in a silly filler-esque way either), which is about as close as you'll ever come to actual character development in Bleach. Also, I have to wonder how being badly developed is a negative in a bad-arse or cool contest. After all, Spike from Cowboy Bebop was infamously never developed at all, and he is currently the favourite to win the thing.

While I'm here, I might as well repost the link to Kenpachi's fight with Tousen. How is that not cool and bad-arse?
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon

Group A-2

Kambei Shimba

Group A-3
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir
This one is tough. I assume Izumi will go through, but for me Mireille is the stronger option. She focuses her life around her job/craft, perfecting her skills and growing stronger. Plus, not only does she meet a certain bad-ass quotient, her cool level is extremely high, with her cool and stylish lifestyle.

Group A-4

Eikichi Onizuka, GTO

Group A-5
I've never seen either show, but is there really anything more bad-ass than death metal?

Group A-6

Group A-7

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
Guts is pretty much the guy that this contest was made for.

Group A-9

Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Group A-10

Group A-11

Group A-12

Black Jack, Black Jack

Group A-13
Saber, Fate/stay night

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
mow123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika One of the stronger female contenders.

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Kambei Shimba Easily the coolest and most bad ass samurai in his series. Calm, collected, and he makes being cool and bad ass look easy.

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Izumi Curtis Not at all impressed with Mireille. Sure she does bad ass things, but her personality is lacking, and she has a complex when facing an old nemesis. That's not considered cool by any standard. Izumi also has her merits, too, but I feel that her number of nominations overestimate her strength.

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

The likable goofball GTO will likely win here, but I have to throw out a reminder that he's inept when it comes to women, and he's not at all tactful at doing anything. Nanashi

Group A-5
vs.

Michiko Malandro Based on the comments alone.

Group A-6
vs.

Roy Mustang

For all of the characters in GITS, Hideo came off more as arrogant jerk than anyone who is cool or a badass.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Simon
His transformation makes him the coolest and most bad ass character where these traits don't come naturally. I am a fan of his arduous journey into badassdom, but seem may view it as a weakness.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts
Would be front runner in a pure biggest badass tournament. I'll be curious to see how far this guy goes.

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Teresa Triela may be the most bad ass of the gunslinger girls, but buried behind her tough exterior lies the vulnerabilities that haunt the other characters. She may handle it better than the others, but I think she's borderline at best.

Group A-10
vs.

Claire Stanfield

Group A-11
vs.

Date

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Black Jack Why so many Haruko supporters? I thought she was more of an eccentric weirdo than a true bad ass. Black Jack has such a stronger presence and convincing aura of bad ass to him. I think his main weakness is the age of his series and how his character has aged. Sure he's not as edgy or in your face like Haruko or many other modern day characters, but I really think those traits are irrelevant to this tournament.

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Kenpachi Zaraki
By a clear margin, he may lack grace, but he makes up for it in brutality and fierceness. He would also do better in a pure badass tournament, but I don't see him crying about it.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Shiki

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.
Shichika Yasuri, Kanagatari[/quote]

Mugen One of the stronger candidates in this group. There's no wonder why some may draw similarities between him and this tournament's favorite to win it all. That being said, he's not a copy cat, but a modern day rendering of what reminder of the essence of that makes anime character cool these days. Mugen also has his own distinct style and quirks that make him distinctly his own character with arguably even more flavor and spice than the original.

Last edited by mow123 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm back to working a regular work schedule right now, I won't be able to actively debate as much in this tournament as I have been the previous ones. But, let's get voting taken care of:

Match A-1: Balalaika (Black Lagoon)
She might not be the most active badass gal for action scenes in this tournament. But Balalaika is the type of woman you would want to fear when she has command of professional Russian military squads and you just happen to rub her the wrong way. She's cold and calculating, knowing how to put fear and intimidation into her foes when they are on the wrong side of the track.

Match A-2: Naomi Armitage (Armitage III)

Match A-3: Izumi Curtis (Full Metal Alchemist)

Match A-4: Eikichi Onizuka (Great Teacher Onizuka)
For a teacher who spoiler[attended and took a school national test despite having several fresh bullet wounds from rescuing the spoiled daughter of a powerful school board member from yakuza], Onizuka is anime's biggest Badass Teacher! Laughing

Match A-5: Johannes Krauzer II (Detroit Metal City)

Match A-6: Hideo Kuze (Ghost in the Shell: 2nd GIG)

Match A-7: Simon (Gurren Lagann)
I'll vote for him this round since Denuan doesn't stick out well for me. But Simon is more reserved in his attitude than mentor Kamina and I feel this would hurt him in the next round.

Match A-8: Guts (Berserk)
The Black Swordsman and Hundred-Man Slayer should feel right at home in this tourney. Twisted Evil

Match A-9: Teresa (Claymore)

Match A-10: Claire Stanfield (Baccano)
This guy has to be the most memorable of the over-the-top characters I seen with Baccano. While not spoiler[immortal], he did enough of his fair share of havoc aboard the train he was a "conductor" on, was always confident and full of himself when dealing with the other criminals aboard and he always knew he would prevail over anyone who got in his way.

Match A-11: Date Masamune (Sengoku Basara)

Match A-12: Haruko Haruhara (FLCL)

Match A-13: Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach)
Definitely more full of himself and confident in his abilities compared to what I seen from Saber.

Match A-14: Shiki Ryougi (Kara no Kyoukai)
Shall give some support to the one with spoiler[split personality issues].

Match A-15: Hei (Darker than Black franchise)
The fact Hei was still able to bust ass spoiler[despite the loss of his Contractor powers in Gemini of the Meteor] gives him more kudos for me.

Match A-16: Mugen (Samurai Champloo)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, this is painful because in almost all these match-ups I've seen only one of the shows.

Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain
Choosing: Balalaika
Because Having not seen Wolf's Rain, I've got to use the guide for Tsume, and it calls him a "beta-wolf". Not quite enough against an alpha dog like Balalaika.

Group A-2
Kambei Shimada, Samurai 7 vs.
Choosing: Kambei
Because I feel I might be treating Naomi unfairly for not having seen Armitage, but has grace and poise to go along with his power, so he's hardly a weak contender anyway.

Group A-3
Izumi Curtis, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir
Choosing: Izumi
Because Izumi is a strong character in pretty much every sense of the word.

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO vs.
Choosing: Onizuka
Because The write up for Nanashi doesn't sway me from a man who seems inhumanly tough, has the dedication to teach the unteachable, and the confidence to give society the finger while doing what he believes in.

Group A-5
Michiko Malandro , Michiko to Hatchin vs.
Choosing: Michiko
Because Krauzer is held back by being the alter-ego of the wussiest wuss that ever wussed.

Group A-6
Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise vs.
Choosing: Roy Mustang
Because I don't know Kuze at all, so for now I'm going with Mustang and his flare for style.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann vs.
Choosing: Simon
Because Tough call, but at the end of Gurren Lagann, I think Simon more than makes up for the weakness he demonstrated in the beginning, and I'll give that a little more edge than Deunan's consistantly tough nature.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk vs.
Choosing: Nanoha
Because So, Guts is tough as nails, but as this tournament in whole also accounts general coolness, that's enough in my book to put Nanoha on top easily. By the point of StrikerS, she's a living legend and is the motivational force for several other characters. Plus, her badassery is way up there, too. When she unleashes her full power, she is absolutely devastating, perhaps mostly clearly shown in the final battle of StrikerS when spoiler[she uses magic to locate one of the villains who then realizes Nanoha is going to attack her from the opposite end of a city sized battle-ship.] She never backs down either, even on the brink of death.

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl
Choosing: Teresa
Because Triela is my favorite of the girls from GSG, but just exudes that mature confidence and poise the younger character just can't quite match.

Group A-10
Claire Stanfield, Baccano! vs.
Choosing: Claire
Because Kallen is a little too hotheaded for my taste in badasses, and it doesn't help her that I rate Claire pretty highly.

Group A-11
Date Masamune, Sengoku Basara vs.
Choosing: Date Masamune
Because (His horse is a motorbike, your argument is invalid). But seriously, Date is just fun, outlandish, but still more composed and mature than his in series rival Yukimora.

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL
Choosing: Black Jack
Because I just don't get the appeal of Haruko.

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night
Choosing: Kenpachi
Because I think Saber's a little too uptight to last very long in this tournament, whereas Kenpachi has that devil-may-care attitude and the brawn to back it up to make life interesting.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece vs.
Choosing: Zoro
Because I'm counting the description of Shiki as psychotic as a negative point.

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed
Choosing: Kazuma
Because Hei's general awesomeness is countered by his hobo period in the sequel, and Kazuma sounds good enough to come out over someone who averages out to the range of pretty good.

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo vs.
Choosing: Mugen
Because As much as it pains me to vote against my own nomination in the first round, Shichika's personality is too bland (almost non-existant) to take down the break-dancing samurai.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Voting for Balalaika Tsume aint bad but he's up against impossibe competition here. While though Tsume acts tough he's really somewhat emotional. That's not a bad thing of course but it definately detracts from his "bad-ass" quotient.

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Voting for Naomi Armitage Though Kambei was ok he is just another in a long line of generic samurai badasses. Naomi has personality and a real sadistic streak that gets her the vote in my book. She also retains a rather empathisable (if thats a word) human side that is well written enough not to interfere with the bad-ass bit. A bit of an achievement by any standard.

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Voting for Izumi Curtis Their own "style" is definately something I look for in a "cool" character Mirielle seems too bland to really stand out.

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Voting for Nanashi Eikichi is a great guy however his tendency to make a pratt out of himself lowers his cool factor for me. On the other hadn Nanashi is a kind of badass I really like. In other words not a braggart. Which Onizuka is a bit.

Group A-5
vs.

Voting for Michiko Malandro Though I am almost certain to vote against her in future rounds that kind of spluttering trash mouth people like these two spout around thinking theyre tough just makes them look insecure to me.

Group A-6
vs.

Voting for Hideo Kuze didn't really impress me tbh but almost anyone impresses me more than Mustang.

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Voting for Simon Despite having a somewhat emo childhood phase his badassery in the latter half of the series will make him tough to beat. His determination, style and skills where exceptional throught. Duenen is actually one of the few characters who i think compete with him a bit. But not enough, She again falls under my cliche'o'dar as just another girl with a gun and an attitude. She lacks her own personal "thing" that makes her badassery stand out.

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts vs Nanoha .... While I appreciate the arguments that people have used in favor of Nanoha. It's going to take some pretty heavy and solid argumentation to push my vote away from Guts. This guy is impossible to defeat the amount of tragedy and suffering he endures is huge and yet he comes back time and time again angrier and more powerfull. He survives seemingly impossible situations with skill and determination. That although huge are still within believable human bounds. And that of course makes them all the more awesome.

Voting for Guts

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Voting for Teresa She has that whole "I know i can kill you in half a second so i dont need to show off" thing. And during the series she represents a very impressive capacity for self analysis and an ability so see the world for what it is.

Group A-10
vs.

Voting for Claire Stanfield. Never really like baccano but tbh i can't really see Kallen as much of a badass as she's constantly agonising over something or other.

Group A-11
vs.

Voting for Brandon

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Voting for Black Jack

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Voting for Kenpachi Zaraki
Because I can't vote against both of them.

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Voting for Shiki Ryougi Kimono wearing Assasin of awesomeness 1 Fail Shounen stereotype who should have sliced the top of his own head off the first time he tried that silly trick .. 0

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Voting for Kazuma Hei spends waaaay too much time agonizing in my book. I usually dont like a braggart but Kazuma wasn't really like that he just didn't care that his opponent was stronger or weaker than him. Its like he was a great big can of pressurised anger waiting for a victim.

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Voting for Mugen One of the best badasses around and a strong contender to win imo. This guy who fights to a background of Sakura petals can not compete. Sakura petals are not badass. They are anti-badass.

Last edited by RHachicho on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
Sakura petals are not badass. They are anti-badass.

That's like voting against Simon because rainbows aren't badass.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's like voting against Simon because rainbows aren't badass.

Rainbows arent badass. But they don't excactly strike me as anti-badass. They are Nuetral. While the multicolor thing is often used in childish stuff in the west its actually quite an energetic thing to look at. When I see the rainbows that where in TTGL i kinda think "full powaaah!". However Sakura petals make me think of pink flutteryness and giddy giggling emotions. Definately not badass. I know I will come up with better reasons in closer more important rounds Anime hyper

Also that was part of Simons badassery I think that he was able to put on the big glam shades and fight to a background of rainbows because that was his "thing" his that kind of glam'y not really camp campness. After all in nature men are the biggest show offs. Look at a male peacock and then tell me the flambouyancy of ttgl wasn't totally plausible lol. Color and movement boys Color and movement. Aaaaanyway just saying that just because something is flambouyant dousn't necessarily make it depart from masculinity. And it's associate bad-assery (at least on a male character we can not argue that masculinity plays a big role) At least in my book it dousn't.

Also

Quote:
I'm counting the description of Shiki as psychotic as a negative point.

Don't, really. You'd be doing the character an injustice.

Last edited by RHachicho on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:01 am; edited 2 times in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Group A-1

Balalaika, Black Lagoon

Group A-2

Group A-3

Group A-4

Eikichi Onizuka, GTO

Group A-5

Group A-6

Group A-7

Group A-8

Group A-9

Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Group A-10

Group A-11

Group A-12

Black Jack, Black Jack

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

This one is difficult because I do like both characters, I'm going to go with Kenpachi for his joy of fighting and what he said during the Bount arc about the Soulreaper who served the Bounts...Kenpachi called him ivy because the boy was unable to stand on his own. Kenpachi said it much better though.

Group A-14

Group A-15

Kazuma, sCRYed

Group A-16

Mugen, Samurai Champloo
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:26 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Balalaika, Black Lagoon
vs.
Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Balalaika

Group A-2
Kambei Shimba, Samurai 7
vs.

Naomi Armitage

Group A-3
vs.
Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Izumi Curtis

Group A-4
Eikichi Onizuka, GTO
vs.

Eikichi Onizuka

Group A-5
vs.

Michiko Malandro

Group A-6
vs.

Roy Mustang

Group A-7
Simon, Gurren Lagann
vs.

Simon

Group A-8
Guts, Berserk
vs.

Guts

Group A-9
Teresa, Claymore
vs.
Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Teresa

Group A-10
vs.

Claire Stanfield Kallen’s ass is not cool enough. Ok, seriously she is a good fighter, but her personality is a drawback. Clair is a sweet psychopath who is memorable for his badassery in a series full of badasses.

Group A-11
vs.

Date Masamune

Group A-12
Black Jack, Black Jack
vs.
Haruko Haruhara, FLCL

Black Jack

Group A-13
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach
vs.
Saber, Fate/stay night

Kenpachi Zaraki

Group A-14
Roronoa Zoro, One Piece
vs.

Shiki Ryougi

Group A-15
Hei, Darker Than BLACK
vs.
Kazuma, sCRYed

Hei

Group A-16
Mugen, Samurai Champloo
vs.

Mugen
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
Voting for: Tsume, Wolf’s Rain

Reasons: Mostly because I nominated him, also I'm actually only greatly familiar with him.

Group A-2
Voting for: Naomi Armitage, Armitage III franchise

Group A-3
Voting for: Mirielle Bouquet, Noir

Group A-4
Voting for: Eikichi Onizuka, GTO

Group A-5
Voting for: Michiko Malandro , Michiko to Hatchin

Group A-6
Voting for: Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist franchise

Group A-7
Voting for: Deunan Knute, Appleseed franchise

Group A-8
Voting for: Guts, Berserk

Group A-9
Voting for: Triela, Gunslinger Girl

Reasons: Finally, another character who I've actually seen! Triela looks sweet and innocent, like the other fratello girls, but in a fight she will kick most people's ass.

She's also the number one reason I need to buy and finish watching Il Teatrino, since she takes center stage in the plotline which makes it awesome, despite the lower production values throughout that season (I assume we are just counting it as a second season, which is why she doesn't say "Gunslinger Girl franchise").

Group A-10
Voting for: Claire Stanfield, Baccano!

Reasons: Baccano! just wasn't really my thing, so I'm not overly familiar with Claire. But I do like the sound of him better than Kallen who I never particularly liked as a character (though against a weaker opponent I would probably have voted for her for at least this round). Also...

Bento-Box wrote:
I don't think there are many mecha pilots who could go toe-to-toe with [Kallen].

I have to disagree with this since, well, we have one IN her series. Suzaku generally wins in their match-ups, IIRC, and certainly they both hold their own against each other. Granted, different technology in their respective mechs play a part of this, but still, even within Code Geass I don't think she's shown as being the absolute best.

Group A-11
Voting for: Brandon/Beyond the Grave, Gungrave

Group A-12
Voting for: Black Jack, Black Jack

Group A-13
Voting for: Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach

Wow, Saber's guide really is bad (and I thought some of the others weren't so great). I vote for cashballer's reasoning to be Saber's new guide.

Group A-14
Voting for: Roronoa Zoro, One Piece

Reasons: I'm sorry, but you cannot argue against someone who fights with three swords. That is epicly badass in my book.

Group A-15
Voting for: Kazuma, sCRYed

Group A-16
Voting for: Mugen, Samurai Champloo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 53