• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNi is giving away HD FLCL for FREE on iTunes.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Don't remember if it's episode one or six, but it's worth checking out if you are curious about the upscale.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
But only if you're from the Land of the Free! Big surprise there Rolling Eyes .
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Is it a digital copy? If so I'll pass. Much rather have the boxset.

But then again...my sentiments exactly, jmfsilenthill. =/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
Oh. My. God.

The aspect ratio was changed to 16:9. And it was done by stretching the video. Anime cry

Someone please tell me that the upcoming set will have both a 16:9 and a 4:3 version. As it is, I might consider canceling my order and sticking with my Synch Point singles. This is watchable, but everyone has a slightly squished look (complete with "ovalized" irises).

Does anyone know how the Japanese BD was handled?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Oh. My. God.

The aspect ratio was changed to 16:9. And it was done by stretching the video. Anime cry

Someone please tell me that the upcoming set will have both a 16:9 and a 4:3 version. As it is, I might consider canceling my order and sticking with my Synch Point singles. This is watchable, but everyone has a slightly squished look (complete with "ovalized" irises).

Does anyone know how the Japanese BD was handled?

The Japanese BD was in a 4:3 pillarboxed ratio.

I won't be buying this release, and I also won't be buying the Japanese one. Synch-Point did just fine with their encodes. This isn't a show that badly needed the jump to HD. If there were some exclusive extras or elaborate packaging I might have reconsidered but oh well...
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The JP release was also terribly DVNR'd to death. I chalk this up to somebody messing up when uploading to iTunes. DBZ taught FUNi a hard lesson in OAR, so I don't think they've forgotten about that. I'm optimistic for their upscale to look good otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Not to double-post from the Feedback board, but I just received an email from FUNi confirming that the iTunes episode was an error and the BDs/DVDs will be in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio. Good news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1