• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Shoten Cancels Its Tokyo Anime Fair Display

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Heh, one good screw deserves another. I wonder if any other publishers will join in with the boycott.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
even if it turns out to be a big deal, it's all good because it'll annoy pedophiles (also wishful thinking).

You obviously haven't read up on the new bill at all. The original bill that didn't pass was the one that tried to ban depictions of underage, "non existent youths" in sexual and violent situations. The new bill would ban depictions of any age group from those same situations as well as characters engaging in acts that would be illegal in real life (incest, rape) and anything that might lead to suicidal thoughts or deviant behavior if it's possible children may have access to them. Tokyo Gov. Ishihara (one of the biggest supporters of both bills) has even gone as far as showing disgust towards homosexuals (expect him to try passing that as part of the vaguely defined "deviant behaviors") and marital sex! If you think this bill will only effect pedophiles think again.

Nemo_N wrote:
It's not like Kodokawa products can't be bought somewhere else though.

If the censoring takes place in Tokyo it'll take place everywhere. It's far too expensive to make two versions of every anime, manga, and video game that my be considered objectionable so that there can be "Tokyo editions". And not selling in Tokyo, the otaku capital of the world, isn't an option. If this bill takes place in Tokyo it will effect everyone world wide.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
it's all good because it'll annoy pedophiles (also wishful thinking).
Yes, I'm sure Dennis Ferguson and Gary Glitter will be so annoyed about something that have absolutely no interest in.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I am neither for nor against the bill. One reason is because I can sort of understand why they want to "regulate" what they call inapproriate. Yet, it sounds like they are taking this quite far. What exactly do they want to censor? If something is going to be censored, for what reason? The idea of "keeping harmful products away from children" should be meant well, but it sounds like they are also doing much of the harm. What are they trying to prove? What are they trying to point out, and where is the evidence that something "inappropriate" is going to cause people to do things? Just because somebody watched Ranma 1/2 doesn't mean they're going to run around naked, or because they watch Rurouni Kenshin, they're now going to become murderous manslayers. Rolling Eyes

This bill doesn't effect me personally whether it gets passed or not, but others in the manga and anime field will be, I'm sure. I don't know what caused all this. If "bad things" had happened as a result because of what was deemed "inappropriate" I'm sorry. All I know is, I've grown up watching anime that has had violence and nudity and I turned out just fine. So if they think this stuff is going to influence everybody, they're wrong. I can understand that they want to "keep children safe", but they're doing it all wrong.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
As for Kadokawa's actions, this isn't the way to address the bill and it only serves to affect those anime fans who are going to the fair.
Blood- wrote:
I agree with Petrified Jello that boycotting displays at an anime fair really only punishes the fans who plan to attend the fair.

TAF is not designed to be a B2C event. It is more like a B2B trade show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I agree with Petrified Jello that boycotting displays at an anime fair really only punishes the fans who plan to attend the fair.

Buuuuuuut don't let it get around that I agree with something he wrote, mmmkay?
(Pssst!, He's a she ) Wink We must not be getting the whole bill, because of what all I have read that is available in English, it's only about restricting sales to minors and requiring creators to self regulate what they create for those minors. I think those afraid to this rather toothless and paper tiger are just pissing in the wind over this. Punishing their customers isn't a very clever way of trying to hurt the government over a sulk. Rolling Eyes
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
We must not be getting the whole bill, because of what all I have read that is available in English, it's only about restricting sales to minors and requiring creators to self regulate what they create for those minors. I think those afraid to this rather toothless and paper tiger are just pissing in the wind over this.

If it still has the part about setting up encouragements for creators not to create 'deviant works' along with the 'smut' list it would also create it would be a little more then worrisome. Combined that with the governors statements about homosexuality and sex in general the worrisomeness would be over 9000+....

Disregardless of that there are already laws in place to restrict such materials to minors. Combine this with the fact that 99% of the time there is no such thing as a duplicate law, its pretty easy to see the possibility that there is another motive behind this....
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Since TAF is supported by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, I suppose the point is to keep fans from attending.

Don't distributors also attend TAF?

Basically Kadokawa is shooting themselves in the foot unless there are anime distributors of Kadokawa based manga there that can pick up the slack.

Boycotting TAF is only affecting the attendees and themselves. Other businesses there will be more than happy to take advantage of them not being there.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Since TAF is supported by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, I suppose the point is to keep fans from attending.

Don't distributors also attend TAF?

Basically Kadokawa is shooting themselves in the foot unless there are anime distributors of Kadokawa based manga there that can pick up the slack.

Boycotting TAF is only affecting the attendees and themselves. Other businesses there will be more than happy to take advantage of them not being there.

I think people are really confusing what kind of event Tokyo Anime Fair is.

It's a trade show. I.e. companies have large booths with nothing for sale, but plenty of fliers about new upcoming shows and big balloons and fancy gimmicky displays. There are stage shows and interviews with producers and guests introducing new works, and sometimes there are exclusive clips, etc. There's a main stage where big name seiyuus and directors have some presentations as well.

There is a very very small official marketplace section, but it only has a tiny amount of random merchandise and is not the main attraction at all.

Now, the show is only open to the public 2 of its 4 days. The other 2 days are business days, and during those days is when you get everyone holding licensing meetings at the company's booths, as well as business seminars and receptions, plus the tokyo anime awards ceremony. Tokyo anime fair is an important event for overseas licensing, as most of the players in the business make the trip over there to talk about the upcoming spring shows.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
I think people are also seriously underestimating the clout that Kadokawa holds. Sure, the insanely popular manga and shows are all held by Shueisha (they put out Shounen Jump), but Kadokawa Shouten is easily the most prolific manga/light novel publisher out there. They publish all of the series that you didn't know that you knew. They also hold manga rights to Evangelion, Gundam, Sgt. Frog, and Code Geass (to name a few). Them not being there is a big deal. It would be like Warner Brothers not showing up to a movie trade show.

I think this is the perfect way to protest the bill and the current attitude of the government towards anime and manga. The bill is ridiculous. The way that it's worded, from what I understand, could be construed to arbitrarily block anything... that includes fighting that is not government-sanctioned, which encompasses Bleach, Naruto, and pretty much every other shounen series. (BTW, if someone knows more, please feel free to contradict me--I haven't read the bill, this is simply what I've come to understand).

All this being said, it completely affects the Western markets, because it could attack shows at their creative roots.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I think people are really confusing what kind of event Tokyo Anime Fair is.

Well, I've said so already, four posts above yours. It's just that people like the poster above you didn't believe what I said. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:
even if it turns out to be a big deal, it's all good because it'll annoy pedophiles (also wishful thinking).

You obviously haven't read up on the new bill at all. The original bill that didn't pass was the one that tried to ban depictions of underage, "non existent youths" in sexual and violent situations. The new bill would ban depictions of any age group from those same situations as well as characters engaging in acts that would be illegal in real life (incest, rape) and anything that might lead to suicidal thoughts or deviant behavior if it's possible children may have access to them. Tokyo Gov. Ishihara (one of the biggest supporters of both bills) has even gone as far as showing disgust towards homosexuals (expect him to try passing that as part of the vaguely defined "deviant behaviors") and marital sex! If you think this bill will only effect pedophiles think again.

I understand what the new bill does and agree with your conclusions; I was simply conveying the (wildly misguided) arguments I have seen here and some other forums.

Emerje wrote:
Nemo_N wrote:

If the censoring takes place in Tokyo it'll take place everywhere. It's far too expensive to make two versions of every anime, manga, and video game that my be considered objectionable so that there can be "Tokyo editions". And not selling in Tokyo, the otaku capital of the world, isn't an option. If this bill takes place in Tokyo it will effect everyone world wide.

I was talking specifically about TAF, not about Tokyo as a whole. And I agree with your conclusions.

Sorry if I was not clear on both points.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
As for Kadokawa's actions, this isn't the way to address the bill and it only serves to affect those anime fans who are going to the fair.
Blood- wrote:

TAF is not designed to be a B2C event. It is more like a B2B trade show.

Thanks for the clarification.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Tokyo anime fair is an important event for overseas licensing

That reminds me, for whoever is reading, is ANN going this year? From a business perspective ANN might be looking to negotiate a new streaming title, but from a news perspective if there are major boycotts is there much reason to attend?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2