• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strawberry Panic [Omnibus] GN

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Maybe it's supposed to be parody, but if so it wasn't very funny.

As far as I understand, it's a parody without it so much as being written as directly a comedy.

Parody, by definition, is intended to be comedic. If something is trying to be a parody and is not funny, then it is simply a feeble repetition of cliches without accomplishing anything. I suppose if this was intended as a mean-spirited expose on the worst excesses of bad yuri by proving how gullible most of the subgenre's readership is that they buy something this... substanceless, then it might be considered a parody, but otherwise, it's just kind of generic.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
Isn't the novel incomplete (in English) as well? I have the first two volumes, but the third was never released by Seven Seas in English as far as I know ... which made me really sad, since I wanted to know how the story concluded.

The omnibus for all three novels are coming out next year!

.... so I have to re-buy the first two to get the final one? Confused Not amused.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
TheRoyalFamily wrote:

And I'm not going to read the novels, since what's the point of reading a comic without pictures? Especially one like this.

But there ARE pictures in the light novels ... and the light novels came first, anyway Smile
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Parody, by definition, is intended to be comedic. If something is trying to be a parody and is not funny, then it is simply a feeble repetition of cliches without accomplishing anything.

I've heard the word 'parody' used more loosely, to be honest, and that it doesn't always mean 'spoof.' I've heard of dojinshi called parodies, which were not always comedic takes of original source materials but imitations in general. In Strawberry Panic's case, it takes every Yuri trope in the book, done from all other series past, particularly from MariMite (which I don't believe is really a Yuri series to begin with) and mishmashes it into one series. The ludicrousness of the story elements and scenes in a way meant to be taken seriously could be taken as amusing by themselves. As said before, I think its only goal in the end was to be the ultimate Yuri fantasy series, which of course isn't alway enough for some. That's it, my last post (hopefully!)
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
Isn't the novel incomplete (in English) as well? I have the first two volumes, but the third was never released by Seven Seas in English as far as I know ... which made me really sad, since I wanted to know how the story concluded.

.... so I have to re-buy the first two to get the final one? Confused Not amused.

You can preorder it on Amazon for $10.19 right now. Think of it as paying for book 3 and getting the other 2 free as they're now loooong out of print.
http://www.amazon.com/Strawberry-Panic-Complete-Novel-Collection/dp/1934876992/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291766502&sr=8-6

Last edited by adam_omega on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
You preorder it on Amazon for $10.19 right now. Think of it as paying for book 3 and getting the other 2 free as they're now loooong out of print. SP at Amazon

I got the Manga Omnibus to bring a $20 Amazon order into free shipping range, I'll probably buy the LN Omnibus in the same circumstance.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

You can preorder it on Amazon for $10.19 right now. Think of it as paying for book 3 and getting the other 2 free as they're now loooong out of print.
http://www.amazon.com/Strawberry-Panic-Complete-Novel-Collection/dp/1934876992/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291766502&sr=8-6

Wow! It isn't out for SO long! I probably will end up buying it since it's about the price of one anyway Smile What am I supposed to do with the first two volumes? I guess they are small, so I can keep them ~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2