• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Mobile Suit Gundam (dubbed, TV ver.)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zetabag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there a partial explanation as to how Amuro could easily pilot the gundam in episode 4? I believe it was something about a computer AI.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Second, well, tanks are not exactly useful in space combat.

Lets see what you'd have to do to a tank to make it more useful in space combat.

(1) You'd have to pressurize it and all, and it would a total input from outside to inside.

(2) Treads are no good, since you get no traction in zero-g ... either a rocket propulsion, or someway to push against a larger artifact and coast, or both. If you want to be able to go from space to a habitat, given that either you are defending or attacking people living in habitats, you'd want both, since rockets alone are less useful when inside the habitat

(3) Gun weaponry would work (as long as the oxidizer is included with the charge). You need rockets to stabilize against the shock when in zero-g, but in the habitat, if you had some means of stabilizing the tank.

(4) Some kind of close quarters weaponry as well, since you may need to avoid shooting to avoid destroying your own habitat, or may wish to avoid shooting to avoid destroying a habitat you are trying to take.

Now, the classical mecha shape is pure insertion fantasy designed to sell toys, but two "legs" and two "arms" are likely to be a lot easier to directly control than an eight legged space spider tank thing. Nowadays we'd just imagine that the space tank would handle the details, but in the 80's, direct control of four mechanical limbs makes a certain amount of sense.

Its just that you'd more normally be four legged with the two front legs having extra abilities, for a stable three point stance and a free "arm", than walking upright. Or even better, four legs AND two arms, with the tank translating your two legged motion into the correct four legged response.

So all told, all this time, it should have been CENTAURS IN SPACE!!!. Shocked
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:55 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:

Then soon after I decided to follow up with Zeta since they are very close related. I was a bit bored and annoyed with the characters most of the time. As well as the voice acting just did not seem to have as much heart as the dub for MS Gundam. I felt bored and uninterested in about half the whole series other then the last 15 episodes or so.

Well, there's your problem. You watched Zeta Gundam with the English dub.

It's easily one of the worst English dubs recorded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

Then soon after I decided to follow up with Zeta since they are very close related. I was a bit bored and annoyed with the characters most of the time. As well as the voice acting just did not seem to have as much heart as the dub for MS Gundam. I felt bored and uninterested in about half the whole series other then the last 15 episodes or so.

I dunno... A show's narrative power will exceed a dub's problems if it's good enough.
First example that comes to mind is Fantastic Children. One of the crappiest dubs ever.
The story? One of the best original stories I've ever seen.

I watched the dub ALL the way through, and I still got the emotional connection.

I haven't seen Zeta but... if the VA still managed to make annoying what was already annoying in Japanese then... isn't that why they were hired?
Heck, I felt irksome about SEED's dub(I actually think Ocean Group make some crappy dubs altogether), but after some time with the characters, in addition to Samuel Vincent's stellar performance as Athrun, that dub too, grew on me.

That being said, 1st Gundam's dub was shaky, and dangerously dry at times(Ryu's spoiler[death] was hilarious dubbed), it pulled through. But... i wouldn't rate it any higher than that.

Either play it subbed(most older animes are better that way), or just watch another timeline.
Although... next week is when I finally start Zeta, so..... fingers crossed!!! Very Happy
CanadianCrippler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Mobile Suit Gundam is one of the most important shows of all-time and that is all I really need to say.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
jsc315 wrote:

No I watched zeta subbed and MS Gundam dubbed. The dub was by far much more superior the the subs in zeta. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
MSG may be corny compared to today's stuff, but it is fun, I do like Brad Swaille, and he's the only reason I'm still watching.
Zeguna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
a lot of people don't like how the MSG TV series rests on the edge of the super-robot and real-robot genres, but to me, that's one of the most appealing aspects. I love Gundam's candy colored robots, thick outlines and rough animation, and I really love how the dub (in my opinion) is slightly stilted in a way that only adds to the rough charm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2