• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime couples that just DON'T work.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edahs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
i actually dislike the naruto love triangle between sakura-sasuke-naruto.

generally i always found sakura really irritating although she's better in the shippuden episodes. i just feel that there's no chemistry between naruto and sakura at all, other than that he likes her. and i don't think there's any chemistry between sakura and sasuke either, for that matter.

Confused
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I am currently re-watching the Vision of Escaflowne, and I realized that Hitomi-Van and Hitomi-Allen just doesn't work. In fact, any couple with Hitomi with it would never work. I just feel that she doesn't have any charisma, and she's not even that pretty to begin with, which makes me wonder why a lot of guys like her.

spoiler[Well, I would argue that it's eventually established that there never really was any Hitomi-Allen. Hitomi is attracted to Allen solely because he bears a striking physical resemblance to her first crush, and Allen's feelings for Hitomi are wrapped up in his longing for his little sister, which he mistakes for love (not to mention that he needs to clear up the mess that is his personal life - to wit, publicly coming clean about and taking responsibility for Chid - before he gets involved with anyone again). They ultimately aren't even really close friends and turn out to not really know eachother or have any compatibility at all. Hitomi-Van does work for me, though. Over the course of the series, they truly begin to know and care for eachother and form a real connection. ]

As for your opinion of Hitomi, no, she's not a beauty queen, and I think that's very deliberate. She's established as a very ordinary girl.
pyrex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
edahs wrote:

generally i always found sakura really irritating although she's better in the shippuden episodes. i just feel that there's no chemistry between naruto and sakura at all, other than that he likes her. and i don't think there's any chemistry between sakura and sasuke either, for that matter.

Confused

Agreed, in the first series I always saw Sakura as some what of nuisance in most of the missions they carried out. As far as the whole love triangle goes, spoiler[If you have read any of the manga and in a few more eps of the new series down the road, you will find out that Sakura actually has started to fall for Naruto or atleast that is implied by a outside observer.] I think she will always care for Sasuke on some level though.

For me it's also Kaname and Sousuke of FMP...for some reason I just really couldn't stand the whole couple aspect represented by either...Sousuke was oblivious almost all the way through 1 & 2 to Kaname in any way other than protecting her. And Kaname although it's obvious to us she likes him, she continually assaults him, not to say he didn't bring alot of it on himself. Not my idea of a good relationship, but...

Syroan & Sakura from Tsubasa, thats a tough one. Being that spoiler[Sakura can't remember their past relationship, how she felt about him or anything more than a void where someone in her life was. That makes it a one-sided deal. I think Syroan cares about her enough to go through all of it, even though in the end he knows things will never be as they were. I guess we'll have to see on that one though.]
Hanako-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
edahs wrote:

Confused

AGREED sakura is one of those annoying fan-girl type of anime character who is of no use of the real story. though sakura became a slight bit useful through out the time skip she is still...you know...so-so. her little romance fantasy with sasuke pisses me off that i want to rip her head off if she says sasuke-kun once more because she knows very well that naruto likes her.

i don't think that sakuraxsasuke pair can work out
i don't think that sakuraxnaruto pair can work out

naruto is better of with hinata
sasuke is better off being alone

sakura DOES NOT deserve either of them
Siilent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with Raito and Misa (Death Note) being a terrible pairing. In fact, I think it's the worst couple I've ever encountered. It repulses me.

It may have to do with the fact that I love Raito. He's my favourite in Death Note overall and probably one of my favourite characters in general. Misa is extremely annoying. She's a hinder to the plot and could never, ever be in a relationship with Raito. It doesn't work on so many levels.

Sasuke and Sakura (Naruto) is another one that disgusts me, and this time it has nothing to do with me liking the male of the couple. I'm not particularly fond of Sasuke and I strongly dislike Sakura, so one would think I'd leave it be. It still disgusts me-- that's how much it doesn't work.
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Hitomi-Van does work for me, though. spoiler[Over the course of the series, they truly begin to know and care for eachother and form a real connection. ]

As for your opinion of Hitomi, no, she's not a beauty queen, and I think that's very deliberate. She's established as a very ordinary girl.

Well I do think that Hitomi and Van as a couple is a lot better than Hitomi-Allen, since Allen is way prettier than Hitomi.

You're right, Hitomi is established as an ordinary girl, but for me she's kinda boring..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quote
Siilent wrote:
I definitely agree with Raito and Misa (Death Note) being a terrible pairing. In fact, I think it's the worst couple I've ever encountered. It repulses me.

It may have to do with the fact that I love Raito. He's my favourite in Death Note overall and probably one of my favourite characters in general. Misa is extremely annoying. She's a hinder to the plot and could never, ever be in a relationship with Raito. It doesn't work on so many levels.

Even ignoring the Misa factor, Light can't be in a serious relationship with anyone. He's narcissistic and sees everyone else, even his family, as either tools to be used for his own goal or obstacles blocking his way.
Of course, it doesn't help that Misa is practically a doormat who fell for Light only because Kira killed her parents' murderer.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
I argee the Naruto love triangle sucks so bad its not even funny no more. Futhermore,is mine most annoying Naruto behind Sasuke. For real its she says Sasuke one mine time,I want to crash her face into the concrete. But then again what did you expect from shounen romance.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Aya420 wrote:
I somewhat agree with you! spoiler[I hate that Takayuki is with Mitsuki (the blue haired girl) and that he is not with Haruka. But Mitsuki is not a slut, she is just in love. They really didn't do anything wrong. I was just a case of circumstances. although I do wish that Haruka (the one that falls in to a coma) and Tajkyuki would have ended up together.]

Geh, that's actually the reason I really can't stand KGNE. spoiler[I never really liked Mitsuki at all after the third episode, and agree with an earlier comment that she's a terrible friend. So she likes what's-his-face, fine. Why even encourage Haruka so much at the beginning if she was going to betray her while she was in a coma? I felt that she really abandoned Haruka 100%, giving up everything about their previous friendship for some guy. Especially after Haruka woke up. Looking at this from a friend's perspective, I could never forgive her. After all the talk at the beginning of "Don't you dare hurt Haruka!" she does a pretty awesome job of hurting Haruka herself.] I hated that ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lmc87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Although technically not a couple, i would hate to see Tenchi and Aeka from Tenchi Muyo get together. Although the story says otherwise i just don't think they would work or mainly because i like Ryoko better and Aekas a whiney cow Laughing
riprock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Siilent wrote:

Even ignoring the Misa factor, Light can't be in a serious relationship with anyone. He's narcissistic and sees everyone else, even his family, as either tools to be used for his own goal or obstacles blocking his way.
Of course, it doesn't help that Misa is practically a doormat who fell for Light only because Kira killed her parents' murderer.

I may be giving the writer too much credit, but I think Misa is depicted as uneducated but good at judging character.

Suppose for a moment that Misa is smart at judging people and society. Obviously she is not booksmart.

Misa knows damn well that women who live by their looks have a limited reign before they lose their looks to middle age.

Therefore Misa is willing:
(spoilers up to ep 25)
1)
spoiler[
To carefully assess whether Rem is willing to die for her by asking if Rem loves her.]

2)
spoiler[To date a boy who is good-looking, successful, middle-class or better, and likely to be a good provider in the future.

I mean, come on. Misa is a supermodel, but supermodels often end up acting like prostitutes just so they can get another dose of heroin. Look at Kate Moss or any number of other coke-sniffer runway anorexics. A supermodel's career is not secure. If Misa hooks up with Light and marries him, she'll probably have a home, a secure income, maybe even a family. In ten years, Misa probably won't be in show business.

Also, Light appears to be good-looking enough to dazzle most of his female classmates at the super-elite Tokyo University. What are the odds that Misa is going to find someone who's better-looking, richer, more charming, and available? ]

3)
spoiler[To do the eye deal and give up forty years of her life. Why live from forty to eighty as an ex-supermodel? She would rather live as a supermodel until twenty-five, as an attractive woman until forty, and then die with no regrets.
]

This is a perfectly pragmatic and rather courageous attitude for her to take, IMHO.

So, okay, even with the above interpretation, Misa is not a heroine for liberated female careers and competition with men. She's living in a way that many feminists would call backward and un-progressive. But I think the writer intended her to be seen that way.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote
I might be too early in saying this because I've only watched 4 episodes so far, but I really don't think there is much chemistry between Kei Kusanagi and Mizuho Kazami from please teacher.

There are just too many things to consider. For one thing, and probably the most notable difference between them is their age. Because Kei is considerably younger than Mizuho, their is a huge difference between their heights too (I noticed that Mizuho had to stoop a little just to kiss Kei). Then there's also their appearances. Kei is so nerdy looking, and Mizuho is so pretty. I just don't get it.

Personally, I think Kei is better off with Koishi Herikawa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I might be too early in saying this because I've only watched 4 episodes so far, but I really don't think there is much chemistry between Kei Kusanagi and Mizuho Kazami from please teacher.

There are just too many things to consider. For one thing, and probably the most notable difference between them is their age. Because Kei is considerably younger than Mizuho, their is a huge difference between their heights too (I noticed that Mizuho had to stoop a little just to kiss Kei). Then there's also their appearances. Kei is so nerdy looking, and Mizuho is so pretty. I just don't get it.

Personally, I think Kei is better off with Koishi Herikawa.

I so much agree that they dont have much chemistry, but the thing in this anime is that age doesn't matter in love, also in appearances, it doesn't matter on how you look or what, what matters the most is that there is love atmosphere, and do you know how much I laughed when you wrote Kei is better with Koishi?, haha!.. they have so much similarities!. one of the things that I dont like this anime is who is really "Mizuho?" is an alien from outer space doesn't give much info. I analyzed the facts that this story is more on surprises, gives no sense, and problematic on such complicated love life, I seem don't understand the love in this anime unlike KANON is way more than good than this anime. Kanon and Onegai! Teacher are same in genre but different some ways.

Last edited by animebrainyanic on Wed May 16, 2007 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:06 am Reply with quote
I came to the conclusion that any non-canon or unhinted anime pairing will not work. For example, A pairing like Edward and Roy will not work. There is no evidence of them having feelings for each other in a romanctic way. Another one would be Sakura and Tomoyo. Why? Sakura is straight and boy crazy. lol. Plus unless the creator says so, it aint happening. Laughing

In other words, if it aint canon, it aint gonna work and it aint happening. Wink

Hmm I hope that made sense. Thats the best I could do. Surprised
Time and Space

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
To the original poster I completely agree that the relationship between Yamato and Suzuka became a bit ridiculous, Suzuka acted a complete bitch without even appearing to hold any affection for Yamato. it wasn't that usual coldness or violence one sees like in Love Hina where you are still aware they like eachother, it was just plain evil. I remember when Honoka and Yamato kissed, I almost cried partly due to happiness and partly due to sorrow, It was inevitable that, because of the title of the show: Suzuka, Yamato would end up with her, I was a Honoka fan too Crying or Very sad

Concerning Death Note, I'm not to bothered about Light's clear contempt for Misa, it really enhances Light's character, showing how ruthlessly efficient he really is. I like their one sided relationship, it's fun to watch Twisted Evil

One revelation of love I couldn't really understand was between Kouta and Lucy in Elfen Lied, I mean, they met once years ago, at a time when Lucy had just learnt how to be a homicidal maniac, she kills his sister and father infront of him, and yet he claims to love her. I can kind of understand Lucy's love, no one had treated her as well as Kouta had, but where the heck did his love come from?

Ha, I just reviewed the final episode and it seems he loved only the lonely child and Nyu parts of Lucy, so if she didn't kill everyone, they'd be a perfect match...or not, his love seems even more dubious now,
[mind suddenly changes]
Actually, what am I saying? Who cares if their love is inexplicable and seemingly unrealistc, it's love after all, magical, moving, magnificent love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4