• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime couples that just DON'T work.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

Relena&Heero from Gundam Wing Heero was as stiff as a poker, she was stiff as well. I have no idea how they could be together.

i actually think bacause of their stiffness they belong together. sometimes similars attract just as much as opposites.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
namelissis wrote:
I also don't like Onegai Teacher's Kei affair with the alien girl who I don't know

AGREED. I ended up really, really hating Please Teacher because the series had me rooting for Kei to get with his classmate spoiler[and that obviously didn't happen.]

I can see what a lot of people are saying about Keitaro/Naru from Love Hina. I think their relationship works a lot better in the manga than the anime....it's a bit more balanced, I think, so Keitaro sticking it out through the beatings makes a bit more sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:

Nana and Ren of nana.

I tend to agree with Nana and Ren not being a good couple. I feel that Ren would work better as a friend, or even a future partner, but right now, Nana needs freedom to grow up. As a child she was under her grandmother's thumb, and as soon as that ended, she was following Ren, doing everything that he did, etc (she discusses this in an episode of the anime). While there's nothing wrong with turning to someone for help, I just feel Nana would do better on her own. She seems to have as much of a passion for Ren rather than a true love in my opinion.

And I'm rather fond of a NanaxNana pairing, but I'm a bit of a yuri fangirl.

While it's not really anime, I'm also not fond of this particular Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (live-action) pairing of spoiler[Makoto and Motoki] (hidden for those who haven't seen the show and want to be surprised). The problem is the fact that when he was awesome and sweet in the anime, someone to look up to and treat as an older brother, in PGSM he's a very creepy guy with way too much interest in turtles. When he's cool, she can't have him, but when he's not cool, she gets him. Very frustrating. Of course, I'm glad the anime version of spoiler[Makoto] didn't get spoiler[Motoki], I subscribe to the theory that there's something more between her and Ami, at least in the first couple of seasons. ^_-

More of that yuri fangirl coming out, I suppose.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Nana/Ren thirded for me. I like Ren and all, but I just don't think that he and Nana should be more than good friends.

I'm also going to say pretty much any FMA yaoi couple. FMA is just not a yaoi series. I also think it's really sick that some fangirls are so obsessive about that crap that they make up relationships that aren't even remotely in the series and then bother the rest of us non-obsessives about not supporting them.

While I'm on the subject of FMA, Ed/Winry. It's sort of an annoyance for me, as I'm shipping opposite the author of the series x) Anyway, I really don't think there's anything romantic between them at all; Winry is more like a big sister to both Ed and Al than a love interest. I also think that Ed and Winry are far too similar to be a good couple; one of them would end up dead within a month if they got married. Of course, there's also the fact that Ed is one of my favorite characters in FMA and Winry is probably my least favorite....;;;

Oh yes, and pretty much any incestual pairing that was not intended by the author in any series ever. Ew.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
namelissis wrote:

I also don't like Onegai Teacher's Kei affair with the alien girl who I don't know and Pretear, sorry I forgot the name of the two couples.

Out of curiosity, may I ask why? Despite feeling somewhat disappointed that Koishi ended up being rejected in the end (as obvious as it was going to be; I swear that if Mizuho wasn't in the anime that they'd be together), I think that Mizuho & Kei make a very good couple. They were able to connect, listen and be there for one another, despite their (vast) differences. And it wasn't really an affair to begin with.

As for my pick, I, like Cloe, have to say Yamato & Suzuka from Suzuka, for the reasons that she has already said. I still think that Suzuka is a good series, but their actions and personalities have no doubt turned many people away from this series. I might've actually considered turning away from it myself, if it wasn't for the supporting cast (I'm also a Honoka fan, I still can't believe that spoiler[Yamato left her for Suzuka]) & that the series was a romantic drama. I eat up romantic dramas/comedies like nobody's business. Razz
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I know that this has been debated before but I really stand by my opinion that Koushiro and Nanoka from Koi Kaze is the all bad idea relationship.

Although I was really rooting for Nanoka and Koushiro whie watching Koi Kaze, I agree that their relationship is going to lead to a lot of pain and personal turmoil in the future. The one scene that really bothered me was spoiler[in the last episode, when Nanoka asked Koushiro if he wanted to commit double suicide with her.] Not exactly a sign of a healthy relationship... ^^;

I agree with others about the Nana/Ren pairing as well. Nana O. is an incredible person and Ren is just a little... bleh. I think his personality is a little too cold for her, and he's not able to read her as well as Nana K. He's also a distraction from her own music. But that's nothing compared to my loathing for the Nana K. and spoiler[Takumi] pair. I literally screamed "NOOOOO!" and threw a pillow at the TV when spoiler[Takumi found out Hachi was pregnant and told Nobu. And then pressured her to recognize the baby as his.] I will never, ever forgive him for the way he handled that situation. Hopefully they break up soon, because I can't imagine Hachiko spending the rest of her life with such a horrible person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
But that's nothing compared to my loathing for the Nana K. and spoiler[Takumi] pair. I literally screamed "NOOOOO!" and threw a pillow at the TV when spoiler[Takumi found out Hachi was pregnant and told Nobu. And then pressured her to recognize the baby as his.] I will never, ever forgive him for the way he handled that situation. Hopefully they break up soon, because I can't imagine Hachiko spending the rest of her life with such a horrible person.

I didn't mention spoiler[Hachi/Takumi] because I don't even really count them as a couple. That's not love, that's desperation. spoiler[Takumi] is just such a total ass, marching in and spoiler[completely taking over Hachi's life. When he pushed her down and practically forced her to have sex with him, I started crying because it was just so awful.] I just hope Hachi finally finds the strength in herself to get away from him.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
On Nana:

spoiler[Takumi and Reira wouldn't cut it for me either. I like Reira, but Takumi is a real scumbag and Reira also seems to get in the way of him caring remotely about Hachi at all (and at this point she's kinda stuck with him). I would much rather see Reira with Shin; Takumi x Reira would make my blood boil.]

[EDIT] spoiler[I holding onto the tiny glimmer of hope that Takumi will turn out to be not such a bad guy after all and love/support Hachi, but with every episode I watch my hopes are utterly crushed.]

Last edited by frentymon on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jetz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Syaoran&Sakura from Tsubasa Chronicle too sweet, watching this two was very masochistic for me. That's why I stopped watching Tsubasa Chronicle

Relena&Heero from Gundam Wing Heero was as stiff as a poker, she was stiff as well. I have no idea how they could be together.

totally agree.. I just started watching tsubasa chronicle, and I thought it would be cool to see shaoran and sakura together again, but I realized it's an entirely new relationship.. Shaoran from tsubasa chronicle was so different from card captor sakura shaoran.. he's suddenly so.. nice

from the beginning I never liked relena.. I wanted to wipe her off the gundam wing cast, and pairing her up with heero made my hatred worse... If a couple between relena and heero was not established, I probably would be less annoyed..
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
coffee wrote:
Naru and Keitaro of Love Hina fame.

A guy can be head over heels for all I care, but when she beats the crap out of him every day for absolutely nothing, it's time to move on.

One of my pals lives that. I told him not to let her treat him like dog droppings, but he's too much in love.

----------------------------------------

Well, I agree to most of the pairings here, but the one I don¿t reallylike is the Tsubasa and Sanae one in the Captain Tsubasa anime. Not only did the animators decide to exclude the part where spoiler[Tsubasa confesses his feelings after being almost beat up by Kanda], but they made Tsubasa look like a soccer-obsessed freak who's too airheaded to notice his OWN feelings. Well, he's like that in the manga too, but not to the extent of his anime portrait.

Now, on to Sanae. I liked it better when she was the tomboyish, energetic Anego and not that 'valley girl' attitude she had later on. I know it's because of the customs, but seeing such quiet, ladylike, almost helpless girls wrings my guts and makes me wish I was part of the series just to beat her up and toughen her up a bit. For that instance, she could've even paired up with Misaki Taro (since he's so sweet he's a major diabetes threat).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Raicho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
Relena and Heero definately don't mix well together n my mind. I just think that Relena's ultimate pacifisim without fighting point of view with Heero's fight to protect standpoint clash.

That and I'll admit I don't like Relena much, mostly because spoiler[during the battle between Heero and Zechs that she witnesses she completely disregards her pacifisim and tells Heero to kill Zechs.]
frouella

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Doctor who wrote:
I'm going to go wiht Light and Misa from Death Note, seeing as how Light is always trying to think up ways to kill her.

Laughing Laughing Laughing How awesome that you brought them up -- I totally second the motion!

As for other examples, I'd have to say Watanuki and Himawari from xxxHolic, though they aren't technically a couple (sorry, Watanuki!). She's just too...ugh, I dunno. Saccharine? Clueless? Vapid? Any one of those will work. Personally, I think Watanuki is a better match with the Vestal Sprite (or even Doumeki, for that matter Razz ).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
frouella wrote:

As for other examples, I'd have to say Watanuki and Himawari from xxxHolic, though they aren't technically a couple (sorry, Watanuki!). She's just too...ugh, I dunno. Saccharine? Clueless? Vapid? Any one of those will work. Personally, I think Watanuki is a better match with the Vestal Sprite (or even Doumeki, for that matter Razz ).

Well, even Yuuki-san agrees with you...correction, you agree with Yuuki-san (she's the Dimension Witch, thus more powerful! Wink ) I've seen several times over the course of the xxxholic manga that she has said that Himawari is not for Watanuki or that she's good for him. But, so far, the manga really hasn't gotten into why.

So, if you want a few spoilers (or a lot for that matter), the xxxholic Wikipedia page was interesting!

Oh, and I agree with your descriptions of her! She can't be that clueless of how he feels!
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one's mentioned shuffle. personally, I was pleased with the end result of that show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
sykosteve wrote:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned shuffle. personally, I was pleased with the end result of that show.

Yes I thought that was a far better ending than most of those kind of harem series...apart from the whole spoiler[suicide] thing...

I was almost sure he would choose any of the other girls over her in the end, despite how obvious it is that they are perfect for each other.

Ones I hate...Tokimeki Memorial ~ Only Love ~. Can't remember the names but the pink/red haired one and the main guy.
1) because she likes him why?
2) he has not enough spine to give her a real answer at any point so far
3) he leads her on without any kind of yes/no and yet plays around with other girls without even seeming to realise what he is doing could upset this girl
4) she seems to forgive and forget whatever he does wrong at the slightest show of kindness from him.
5) Grow some spine both of you! Have an actual conversation about the situation.

he should realise what he does hurts her and not do it or actually tell her he doesn't want to be with her and she should realise he should be at least asked before declaring him her man...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4