• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime couples that just DON'T work.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
Happy Valentine's Day!

I saw this topic a few days ago, and thought the idea was really fun. Unfortunately it was locked due to an insufficient opening post, but I thought I'd bring back the question for Valentine's Day. Who (in your esteemed opinion) are the worst anime couples? Couples that you can't believe actually end up together. Couples you're sure will break up after the last episode airs. Couples that have pretty much wasted every second of your time they're on screen. Be honest and be brutal! And, as always, make sure to back up your choices with sufficient explanation.

My first choice would be Yamato Akitsuki and Suzuka Asahina from Suzuka. Talk about two people who make you want to punch the television monitor. First off, I've never been a fan of those "I really hate your guts, but not really" couples that are constantly spitting vitriol at each other, but supposedly also have a deep-rooted affection for each other. But Suzuka really takes this to the next level with her constant snapping and repulsion of Yamato. She didn’t come off as hesitant and guarded so much as just extremely unlikable. Yamato, on the other hand, is apparently the kind of guy who throws away a perfectly fine relationship with a dedicated and loving girl (I’m a Honoka fan) for a lingering physical attraction to someone who has never shown him anything but disdain. While I was watching the series, I severely hoped Yamato and Suzuka would never hook up, since they're both a complete mess.

OK, your turn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
I do not have any specifics, but I'd just like to chime in that harem couples are usually very poor. It's because different people side with different characters and get depressed when the main dude goes for the obvious 'tsundere' lead, even though there's strong development for other characters.

Thoughts in point; Shana, ZnK, Love Hina, and Mahou Sensei Negima!
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:12 am Reply with quote
I know that this has been debated before but I really stand by my opinion that Koushiro and Nanoka from Koi Kaze is the all bad idea relationship. I'm not sure if the age difference, or the blood relation would pose a more immediate problem. The scene near the end where Koushiro's coworker spoiler[says she understands that it isn't his fault and shows her genuine concern frustrated me. She obviously cared for him and went out of her way to take care of him, yet he blows her off in favor of a doomed relation.] The situation reminds me of Rumbling Hearts where I also feel sorry for Mitsuki who spent all those months cooking and cleaning for Takayuki. I would feel really indebted to someone who took care of me when I was down, or at the very least I wouldn't except the hospitality if I didn't have any interest in her. I spent most of Koi Kaze booing Koushiro's decisions and in the end of the series spoiler[I was disappointed that he ended up with his sister, especially since he was so close to getting out of the relation.]
namelissis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
Well, personally I don't like Kira-Lacchus pair up because I think it's better if lachus ended up with Athrun.

Second, obviously I also don't like Athrun-Kagali pair-up because you already know.

I also don't like Kagome-InuYasha loveteam. I mean, Inu Yasha likes Kikkyo, which is his first love, in the first place?

I really don't know why I disgust Taka so much, maybe because I really think he and Tamahome are different persons and Tamahome has proved more than him for the sake of Miaka.

I think also that Tomoyo should fly solo and shouldn't be paired up with Eriol or Kurogane...

I also don't like boy to boy and vice versa relationship, that's why I'm not in favor of Gravitation's Suichi love affair and Kyou Kara Maoh's Yuri-Wolfram team up.

I also don't like Onegai Teacher's Kei affair with the alien girl who I don't know and Pretear, sorry I forgot the name of the two couples.

As of now that's what I could think of!!!

--- thank you for backing up my locked post
i appreciate it!
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
Syaoran&Sakura from Tsubasa Chronicle too sweet, watching this two was very masochistic for me. That's why I stopped watching Tsubasa Chronicle

Machi&Yuki from Fruits Basket they are BORING, when i saw them i thought why Takaya didn't give something more interesting instead of this two.

Kisa&Hiro from Fruits Basket I hate Kisa and I like Hiro he should be with at least less annoying character.

Athrun Zala&Meyrin Hawke from Gundam Seed Destiny i don't know why they are together. Meyrin have not had enough character development. With this character development she could be a hentai character. Besides I'm Cagalli and Athrun fun.

Kira Yamato&Lacus Clyne from Gundam Seed/Destiny too perfect and too annoying

Relena&Heero from Gundam Wing Heero was as stiff as a poker, she was stiff as well. I have no idea how they could be together.

Last edited by Aylinn on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:06 am; edited 2 times in total
coffee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote
Naru and Keitaro of Love Hina fame.

A guy can be head over heels for all I care, but when she beats the crap out of him every day for absolutely nothing, it's time to move on. They're both as rigid as a board character wise. I have a hard time fathoming why either of them could stand each other. Keitaro for being a weak minded bum, and Naru for being so wishy washy about her feeelings. "Oh I like you!, but I can't tell anyone" to "I hate you" the next second just doesn't cut it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
voluptas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
I never liked the Heero and Relena relationship in Gundum Wing. I just didn't find it belivable that they would fall for each other without really knowing each other.
Doctor who

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
I'm going to go wiht Light and Misa from Death Note, seeing as how Light is always trying to think up ways to kill her.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
namelissis wrote:
I really don't know why I disgust Taka so much, maybe because I really think he and Tamahome are different persons and Tamahome has proved more than him for the sake of Miaka.
I agree, I HATE taka but I love Tamahome. I mean they're supposedly the same person, because TAKA is the reincarnation of Tamahome, but I don't know, Tamahone seems manlier.
namelissis wrote:
I also don't like boy to boy and vice versa relationship, that's why I'm not in favor of Gravitation's Suichi love affair and Kyou Kara Maoh's Yuri-Wolfram team up.
Well, I guess people like different things .As fro me, I love shonen~ai Shuichi and Eiri's relationship is enjoyable to watch. I hated Yuki's fiancé.
As for the couple that just doesn't work, That blue haired girl in rumbling hearts and Takayuki. I despise them both. That girl [short hair, the one that falls into a coma] is so much sweeter. The blue haired one is a slut, she’s a man stealer and an unfaithful friend.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Kagome and InuYasha from InuYasha: This couple just do not work since I learned the story of how Naruku trick Kikyo into betraying InuYasha. I just got the feelings she is butting in from InuYasha and Kikyo from getting back together. Another InuYasha couple that just do not work Miroku and Sango from InuYasha I think she can just do better. Holland and Tallho from Eureka 7:she bends backwards for Holland and Holland is a big jerk to her. Matter of fact Tallho is plan B to him since Eureka did not chose him.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I think that Tamahome and Miaka are just...so made for each other it just drives you insane! I mean, I like Tamahome (and Taka too), but, out of all the characters in the series, why did he have to fall in love with someone so....yeah....

And Kagome and Inuyasha are a little out of there too. Inu loves Kikio. Kagome and Kikio are so different. How can Inuyasha be torn over such different people is beyond me. How Kagome could be Kiko's reincarnation is beyond me too.

Ai Yori Aoshi's Aoi and Kaoru also creeped me out. If I met a girl who's sole purpose in life for the last 18 years, on her own desicion, was to marry one specific person, and remember all that about him...I would be a little creeped out. Like at the top, it's just...too good for comfort....
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:
Ai Yori Aoshi's Aoi and Kaoru also creeped me out. If I met a girl who's sole purpose in life for the last 18 years, on her own desicion, was to marry one specific person, and remember all that about him...I would be a little creeped out. Like at the top, it's just...too good for comfort....

Really? I always point to them as one of the most perfectly-matched of all anime couples, given how well they complement each other's needs and how right they look together. I suppose Aoi's obsessiveness might be creepy if she was more aggressive about it or if Kaoru didn't deperately need the kind of unreserved, unconditional love she had to offer, but given his background that's exactly the kind of thing he does need, and he offers Aoi the gentle, caring, reassuring nature that she needs. That beautiful synchronicity of personalities, and that it's never in doubt that they are going to be together, are two of the main reasons why the series was a surprise smash hit on both sides of the Pacific.

I also don't get why so many people are dissing Inuyasha/Kagome. Kikyo is DEAD, so even though she's animated there's no real hope for a long-term relationship there, a point which Kikyo was consistently firm about. Sure, they had that "tragic love" thing going on, but Inuyasha ought to be with a living person, and Kagome is an ideal match since she won't back down to him - and that's something he needs, whether he admits it or not. I also have to disagree about Miroku and Sango. Despite his quirks, they make an agreeable couple, and one of my favorite episodes of the whole series was the one where spoiler[he essentially proposed to her.]

Have to agree on Koshiro and Nanoka from Koi Kaze, though. That is a coupling that is wrong on a lot of different levels, despite how naturally it plays out.

My picks for Most Inappropriate Couple are Nakahito and Kurumi from Steel Angel Kurumi (or, even worse, Nako and Kurumi from the sequel series), Taro and Mariel from Hanaukyo Maid Team, and any couple involving Negi in Negima. Notice a common theme here? All of these "young boy paired with much more mature-looking (if not mature-acting) woman" series bug me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
My picks for Most Inappropriate Couple are Nakahito and Kurumi from Steel Angel Kurumi (or, even worse, Nako and Kurumi from the sequel series), Taro and Mariel from Hanaukyo Maid Team, and any couple involving Negi in Negima. Notice a common theme here? All of these "young boy paired with much more mature-looking (if not mature-acting) woman" series bug me.

Really? I thought that the Kurumi and Nakahito pair was pretty good, I mean Nakahito was a very reserved and shy person who would probably never leave the shrine other then peer presure from people who are A-holes, and the EXTREMELY straight forward and "DO IT NOW!" Kurumi was the perfect opposite for him and could help him get trhough that. While Kurumi 2 sucked bizzalls all the way around, so I don't really care for the match-ups anyway.

But for the rest. I'm not sure if I really liked the pairings of any young dude with an older woman, it's just wierd, but it never really ruins a show, so that's all I care about.

I couldn't really think of any couple in paticular off the top of my head so I don't have one...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
the following couples for the following one reasons....

1. they seem gross
2. i think they dont work because of their personalities or their place in the story
3. too annoying
4. gross

Ed and Roy mustang or Fullmetal alchemist. Its one of those yoai pairing i cant stand alothough i love yaoi. its a bit because im pro win/ed. also because of their age difference and place.

shinji and asuka.....the most whinny character and most annoying bitchy character together. if they were together it would be just asuka yelling at shinji to do stuff for her. it would be all asuka thing and shinji would be the following cohort.

Nana and Ren of nana. i know i will be yelled at because of it but its not that i hate hate it. its ok. i actually like nana o and nana k. its one of my fave yuri pairings and if you read the manga you know that it wouldnt be so bad if they ended up more as friends.

and now my most annoying hated pet peeve of a couple....

Chiyo chan and sakaki. she's 10 yrs old...she's 15 yrs old. maybe if chiyo was 15 i wouldnt mind but she's too innocent and small and sakaki..i know she loves cute but if she was t o be with a girl i vote for the always waiting karin or the most fanfictioned kagura.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Kaname and Sousuke from FMP: They are too are too crazy for each other and they have too many quirts. And when you throw Tessa into equation its better for both sides if they go their separate ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4