• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Industry Group Head Says Anime is a Bubble that Burst

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quantcast
Japan to Create Fund to Boost Anime & More Overseas

8 hours later

Quote:
Industry Group Head Says Anime is a Bubble that Burst

there are no words...
cz.petab

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Just to add some nitpicking to this thread (from the article, second paragraph, second sentence):
Quote:
In 2007, domestic anime DVD sales fell further to 89.4 million yen (US$904 million).
I guess it should be billion yen there. I know the proper sum is obvious from the context, but still ... Wink

I'm sorry about my bad English, feel free to remove this post once the article is fixed (if you decide to do so).
Dante80

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Further, I guess you're not sick of the constant "heh, i'm so wise and intelligent and above all of this *grabs popcorn, downloads nanoha fansubs*" self-serving smug posts that pop up in every fansub-related thread, but I am, so I poked fun at that guy.

Come on Zac, you are mean again. Anime cry I didn't mean that through my post...here it is:

Dante80 wrote:
Quote:
Because any information that doesn't jive with whatever conclusion you've come to, even without doing any real research on the subject yourself, is "biased", and that means it's bunk, because you say it is.

Zac, that may go both ways...

Yay..."another" fansub debate....*grabs popcorn and moves the FF tab below aegisub*

I was fansubbing Dallos at the time, so I just put the thread tab below the aegisub workbench to better watch the discussion. I always enjoy fansub debates, because although discussed to death we get some interesting arguments from both sides (and some times, we get new arguments on the subject too). Die-hards and/or crusaders aside, there is merit in discussing how much detrimental are fansubs to the industry, how can they become irrelevant and why some people still choose them over legal means now that we are in the dawn of the (legal) digital distribution age.

Its just that these threads are not the place to do it imho. We could have a wonderful discussion based on the article, and the many points given inside (I isolated one of them in a later post). Yet, we (collectively) choose to isolate one sentence about fansubs, and have at it again. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Dante80 on Tue May 05, 2009 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I can tell you right now if Funimation came out and said "Fansubs are costing us X amount", the fans would scream bloody murder and would never, ever accept it as even close to the truth. And no organization exists that has the resources or the unlimited access to years' worth of sensitive sales data to independently study the matter.

Heh.
I couldn't help but notice the contradiction in this.

I don't discount there are some people who went from buying to downloading. That's just a given.

But I can't fathom a justification for these industries to state piracy is taking away from sales when those sales aren't going to happen anyway.

Distributor: Hey, don't download! Buy our DVDs because they're loaded with extras you can't find on a fan sub site!
Consumer: Okay!
*purchases* Extras: textless opening and ending theme songs and a few previews for other DVDs.
(yes, not all series are like this, but quite a few are)

Woo hoo. Add to this the extras content in Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya when these "extras" use propaganda regarding fan sub sites on purchased material.

Yeah, I'm so freakin' glad part of my $50 went to this crap.
Evil or Very Mad

And you know, I also can't discount the fact our monies are being spent going after these sites rather than utilizing them to market incentives to get these people to buy.

As a purchaser, I hope you can understand why I post regarding this topic.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Zac wrote:
I can tell you right now if Funimation came out and said "Fansubs are costing us X amount", the fans would scream bloody murder and would never, ever accept it as even close to the truth. And no organization exists that has the resources or the unlimited access to years' worth of sensitive sales data to independently study the matter.

Heh.
I couldn't help but notice the contradiction in this.

I don't discount there are some people who went from buying to downloading. That's just a given.

But I can't fathom a justification for these industries to state piracy is taking away from sales when those sales aren't going to happen anyway.

Distributor: Hey, don't download! Buy our DVDs because they're loaded with extras you can't find on a fan sub site!
Consumer: Okay!
*purchases* Extras: textless opening and ending theme songs and a few previews for other DVDs.
(yes, not all series are like this, but quite a few are)

Woo hoo. Add to this the extras content in Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya when these "extras" use propaganda regarding fan sub sites on purchased material.

Yeah, I'm so freakin' glad part of my $50 went to this crap.
Evil or Very Mad

And you know, I also can't discount the fact our monies are being spent going after these sites rather than utilizing them to market incentives to get these people to buy.

As a purchaser, I hope you can understand why I post regarding this topic.

You are speaking of the way DVD extras work in America. Though I agree that all those Haruhi extra's with the spunky girls in costume were annoying and not really what I wanted to spend money on (Maybe some cast commentary?) but in Japan special features are different. They are often full of unclothed female characters doing things they couldn't show you on TV, sometimes you get a new episode or merchandise sometimes they even put a hentai episode on a DVD.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Hmm, I had always thought that Japan was focusing on quality over quantity.

This explains a lot of things.

I'm skeptical on the shift, if only because "quality" simply translates to "what makes the most money." How this will translate to opportunities for auteurs I've no concrete guess, but I'm not optimistic.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Then I found the forum has degraded to talks of fansubs that had absolute dick to do with the original topic.

Well, the article did mention fansubbing and DVD-rips as part of the problem outside of Japan.

I would personally love to see the other aspect of the article, too: quality over quantity. The problem is, will that translate into better sales? Or has it truly become a niche-market, where series with (usually unnecessary) bishoujo and mecha tack-ons is what it takes to get something to sell? Will experimental animation (think Kaiba) fall by the way-side because it isn't marketable?

Venturing into didactic animation might work in Japan, but I strongly doubt it will sell in America, so that's an internal, domestic solution.

Ah, I missed that part in the article. Damn hyphens.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Possible solutionsfor eliminating the need/appeal for fansubs?
1) Streaming. I don't use fansubs for any series that is streamed, and try to boycott groups that fansub streamed series.
2) Wider awareness of how to rent/borrow anime from stores and libraries.
3) A return to the sharing-your-stuff model of anime from back in the days of anime clubs etc. Not only will it encourage anime fans to actual get to know each other in RL, it will also encourage a legal network of sharing anime to preview it.

The more these solutions get implemented, the less fansubs will be necessary, and the more support real fans will give to companies seeking legal action against fansubbers who won't play by the new rules of the game. Note I say "real," because anyone who doesn't support the industry in some way or another isn't a fan, they're a leach.
That's by far the best solution I can see that will truly help not just the anime fandom but also the anime industry in the long run; building a "real" and not "virtual" community through real fans/industry interactions.

In this day and age, when more and more gray areas in the laws are being created due to misinterpretations of the laws, and more individuals are challenging not just the justice system, but also the entire society as a whole by disregarding morality due to their own selfish greed, I get this feeling that the majority of anime fandom had become this monster that had lost its humanity of compassion: Do to others what you would have them do to you. Because we don't really know each other anymore and thus, we can no longer tell who we really are by ourselves. Instead, we get these overwhelming senses and attitudes of ungratefulness, entitlement, selfishness, that don't do anything but to justify an individual's greed and corruptions. And in the process of hurting ourselves and each others by sabotaging our own humanity, we're becoming lesser than animals that are capable of real compassion.

Think about it, if the majority of the anime fans today are capable of compassion, would they do something so terrible and wrong like stealing intellectual properties from anime creators, while still calling themselves as fans who support the anime industry? If they were compassionate toward those who made the anime that they claimed to like so much, then why would they do such terrible thing? This is beyond unlawful nor immoral, this is sickening.

Descent123 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Descent123 wrote:
I don't like moe shows, maids, fan service shows and etc.

Neither do I, and while that stuff is overly popular, there's plenty out there that doesn't have anything in it, you just need to look.

I did, and it's just not that good compare to the stuff I grew up with or like.
Don't loose hope just yet. Because I'm not done, so neither should you.

Last edited by DomFortress on Tue May 05, 2009 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
They are often full of unclothed female characters doing things they couldn't show you on TV, sometimes you get a new episode or merchandise sometimes they even put a hentai episode on a DVD.

I've seen a few DVD sets offer merchandise (tshirt, figure) with the purchase, and I'd love to see more of this type of campaign.

If ADV teamed up with Good Smile Company or Max Factory and offered a Clannad figure with every DVD single, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Yes, I expect the cost of each to increase a bit, but it's better than trying to buy both separately!

Now, I'm late to the party. Finding the figures is hard (and some have skyrocketed due to popularity).
Crying or Very sad
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
ADV couldn't pay me to buy Clannad, but anyway I think the reason they don't do this is a belief that American consumers don't really care about series related merchandise much and every time Bandai tries to do this with their over priced LE sets it fails. Why? Not because we don't like merchandise but because it would be cheaper to buy the DVD and merchandise separately in many cases.

Still as far as the decline of the industry goes I think that fansubs are a problem in Japan but changes also need to be made about the amount of shows that come out each year, what's being made into anime and who it appeals to.The same thing is being made 100 times each year and you never get new fans so you only end up splitting the amount of money the same fans spend more and more.
Descent123

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

I'm far from done, but I don't like any of the new stuff at all. Then again I'm hoping that the new Cobra OVA/TV series and the Ai no Kusabi OVAs will be great.

Last week I went and purchase a bunch of laserdiscs off a guy and he pretty much said that there's no good anime anymore (according to the guy all the new shows are a joke to him), so he's pretty much semi-retiring from anime.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
It's like saying that Blood+ had low sales because of fansubs. No, it sold badly because Sony charged $100 for 25 episodes. No one would buy anything at that price.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

I'm far from done, but I don't like any of the new stuff at all. Then again I'm hoping that the new Cobra OVA/TV series and the Ai no Kusabi OVAs will be great.

Last week I went and purchase a bunch of laserdiscs off a guy and he pretty much said that there's no good anime anymore (according to the guy all the new shows are a joke to him), so he's pretty much semi-retiring from anime.
I share his sentiment as well as yours. The 80's through early 90's were truly the golden age for Japanese animation overall mainly due to the massive OVA format and the steady theatrical releases of high quality anime series. Back then, anime was well made to simply tell a story, instead of today, when animated TV advertisements are being mass-produced to promote story elements that sell characters related merchandises. That, my friend, is the state that we're in, "quantity" overtook "quality".

And damn, LDs! You're more hardcore than I could imagine. The only LD I've seen was the Tehchi Muyo OVA that my sister owns, and she doesn't even have a LD player.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
tiredgamer wrote:
I noticed a decided lack of blame placed on fansubs...

I didn't even bother to read the rest of the forum as soon as I saw the first two posts.

First of all, fansubs are indeed to blame but that's only a small fraction of the problem and nowhere near the main issue. In addition, I'm sure they're aware that fansubs are a problem but certainly the least of their concerns at this point.
The biggest problem, which many people from various sites I've read this article already have brought up and I'm sure here as well, is not fansubs, but rather many company's lack of creativity recently and lack of quality. As the article states, "Japan should emphasize quality over quantity."
Moe, lolis, mecha are all booms, but constantly repeated and thus getting old. The era has come and gone and will surely come back, but it needs to rest for now. Someone needs to come up with something new like bringing back the good old stuff including Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Nanoha, CCS, Rozen Maiden, Da Capo, Haruhi, Kannazuki no Miko, etc... instead of COPYING THEM into a different setting with "different characters." In addition, throwing in something out of left field that is not only believable but also completely unexpected is one way to do things. 2003-2005 was the age of moe and lolis. 2000-2002 was the age of harems and maids. 1995-2000 was the age of action and mechs, action, and comedy.
The wrong turn I see from this is between 2006 and 2009, companies combined all 3. Fall 2006 was a boom because no one expected so many "good" series all at once and from there it slowly died down because every company followed, copied, and produced what we get in this crap season. The only difference between what we have now and back then was they added a whole bunch of fanservice material....in other words, emphasizing more on ecchi than the actual story that people want and thus resulting in "nearly" trainwreck endings like Geass and Gundam 00 as well as those that indeed crashed like Druaga and Nanoha StrikerS.
Descent123

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
I share his sentiment as well as yours. The 80's through early 90's were truly the golden age for Japanese animation overall mainly due to the massive OVA format and the steady theatrical releases of high quality anime series. Back then, anime was well made to simply tell a story, instead of today, when animated TV advertisements are being mass-produced to promote story elements that sell characters related merchandises. That, my friend, is the state that we're in, "quantity" overtook "quality".

And damn, LDs! You're more hardcore than I could imagine. The only LD I've seen was the Tehchi Muyo OVA that my sister owns, and she doesn't even have a LD player.

I agree, too much quantity in the market, it's enough to turn me off.

I have about 60-70 US anime LDs. I should upgrade the Tenchi OVAs and the Tenchi Universe to DVDs but I just like LDs so much more. I really love the packaging jobs since if you buy the LDs it comes with a lot of extras that you can't get on the DVD versions.

I have three LD players, want one? Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8