• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk Game?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Gero49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:15 am Reply with quote
I Bought ‘Sword of the Berserk – Gutt’s rage’ a while ago and I was told it was a stand-alone game but I thought I recognized a few of the characters. I saw a trailer for another Sword of the Berserk game and I know I’ve see some of them. Is there a connection between the game and the show? I liked the game, thou I didn’t get the story, it was pretty cool too. I’ve never seen the show; if there is a connection, is the show good enough to buy? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The Dreamcast game takes place sometime after or during 21st or 22nd volume. But I know Niko is a character later on in the manga. I knew a new Berserk game is coming to PS2.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
You need to read the manga, not watch the anime.
The game was based on the manga because it has puck and it follow the manga.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ParaParaJMo wrote:
The Dreamcast game takes place sometime after or during 21st or 22nd volume. But I know Niko is a character later on in the manga. I knew a new Berserk game is coming to PS2.

You mean this one??

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_berserk_jp_w.html

New game for PS2
Dr Gero49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that’s the trailer I saw.

I’ll try and read the Manga but not too many places around me carry Anime & Manga and I hate shopping online; I’ve had bad experiences. Thanks for responding so fast!
Lord Van

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that PS2 game look sick. I hope they import that.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Dr Gero49 wrote:

I’ll try and read the Manga but not too many places around me carry Anime & Manga and I hate shopping online; I’ve had bad experiences. Thanks for responding so fast!

If you have anymore questions about Berserk anime/manga I recommend going to www.skullknight.net a great place to have discussions about Berserk.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, the new game looks great. Please let them import it over here (after all, they did to the previous one, and that was before the anime or manga was popular over here). I love the new Hirasawa track too. Looks like they're following the Millenium falcon arc (not the ship, the current story arc in the manga). I'm so pumped.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The games looks great. But if the gameplay is the same as the dreamcast version (slash and more slash), than I'll pass.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
The games looks great. But if the gameplay is the same as the dreamcast version (slash and more slash), than I'll pass.

The Dreamcast game was a very good action game that got possitive reviews in the press. But I would think (based on my knowlege of that storyarc) that they will put some RPG/team elements in it. Plus I'm sure it will be more story driven this time around.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
darkhunter wrote:

The Dreamcast game was a very good action game that got possitive reviews in the press. But I would think (based on my knowlege of that storyarc) that they will put some RPG/team elements in it. Plus I'm sure it will be more story driven this time around.

It wasn't bad back them, but compare the gameplay to today's standard, it's definitely below average. I played the games many times and I didn't find it as interesting as say Samurai Warriors. Did you played the DC game?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:07 pm Reply with quote
You mean the DC Berserk? Yes. It was a great action game, but it does pale a bit when you take newer games like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden into consideration. But from the looks of it, they're putting alot of effort into this game (even getting the original composer to do some songs), so I'm sure they will improve on the gameplay to bring it up to todays standards. Plus they could add some RPG elements like I said (after all, in that arc Guts is traveling with a party Smile ).
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:22 am Reply with quote
Well the cinema on the demo looks really awesome, just the gameplay need to improve well beyond the DC berserk. I wonder what studio is working on the game.

Dr Gero49 wrote:

Definitely read the manga over the anime for a more complete story, but it's very violent. If you're not into really violent stuff, than I suggest watching the anime, it's tone down.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:23 am Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, for those of us who have read ahead of the English publications, do you think this is the best arc for a game? I think yes. The Golden Age (vol. 4-13) would be more of a Dynasty Warriors game, and the anime already covered that. The Retrebution arc (vol. 14-22) would have too little to do, with just a couple of action parts. The current arc really opens up alot of possibilitys. There is the mentioned RPG element, and the idea that you can use the diffrent characters. It even could be made into a somewhat less linear title as you travel to the major plot points. In any case, addressing Darkhunter, I doubt that they are going to make it exacally the same as the last title. Alot of time has passed since then, and it looks like they're putting alot of effort into making the game an experience. Its still too early to put a verdict on the gameplay, but I'm sure there will be major improvements over the last title.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:30 am Reply with quote
The Dreamcast game was considered one of the best sleepers for the now defunct console. It provide ol'skool hack and slash gameplay followed by an innovative scenario system where at the very second of an dangerous situation, you have the option of pressing a suggested button (A,B,X or Y) in order to avoid falling into a trap or being pummeled by a boulder,etc.

That same scenario system is now being used in Capcom's upcoming Resident Evil 4 game.

Hopefully the Beserk PS2 game will garner enough interest to be imported/localized to the United States.
I prefer the DC game over the semi-disapointing Anime series anyday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2