• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime vs. Cartoons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EntertainmentBear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up before, because I am new... Anime smile + sweatdrop And so...

My sister once brought up a thread on another site about people calling anime 'cartoons', and she was flamed beyond recognition. Because although I don't think it's that big of a deal, she tends to feel it makes anime seem ridiculous. Yes, animes are cartoons, but would it matter to you?

On the other hand, I can see why she would feel that way. The american sense of a 'cartoon' is an animated television show for toddlers up to elementary school children. The show usually doesn't have a general story, jumps the shark, and is canceled.

While anime has a wide range of audiences, doesn't have to be a comedy, and usually has a set amount of episodes that [except in some cases] avoid shark jumpage... Also, some animes are based on mythology and legends, while a small number of cartoons are very loosely based on mythology and culture.

So... would it matter to you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tekkaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:17 pm Reply with quote
This topic has been up several time.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:25 pm Reply with quote
EntertainmentBear wrote:
On the other hand, I can see why she would feel that way. The american sense of a 'cartoon' is an animated television show for toddlers up to elementary school children. The show usually doesn't have a general story, jumps the shark, and is canceled.

A number of American cartoons are aimed at adults. South Park, The Critic, Duckman, Kid Notorious, Family Guy, Futurama, Beavis & Butt-Head, Heavy Metal, Heavy Traffic, Fritz the Cat, the Adult Swim lineup (Aqua Teen, Sealab, Venture Bros., etc.), Mission Hill, etc., etc., etc.

Then there are a number of classic cartoons that were aimed at all age groups from child to adult. Flinstones, Jetsons, Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home, Simpsons, King of the Hill, early Looney Tunes (40s to about the 60s), Disney movies up until the early 1990s, etc., etc., etc.

There are also a number of youth-oriented cartoons with excellent writing. These include Gargoyles, The Tick, the 1990 Batman series...they don't necessarily need an overarching story to be excellent, just as many anime don't (Lupin III & most of Cowboy Bebop, for example).

Just as the stereotype of anime as "mindless sex & violence" gets old, the stereotype of American cartoons as "insipid kiddy shows" gets old, too. Yes our view of what animation can be is much more limited in scope, but there's still a number of excellent titles that suit a wide range of audiences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EntertainmentBear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Alright. Sorry. Forget it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The topic has been brought up before, but I don't think that recently.

I'm going to go against the flow here, I think most mature anime fans have become sick of the stupidity that has been inherent in cartoon vs. anime debate and as a result dismiss it with the statement that anime = cartoon.

If you look at the definition of "Cartoon" at dictionary.com you'll see 5 definitions.

1 a) A drawing depicting a humorous situation, often accompanied by a caption.
1 b) A drawing representing current public figures or issues symbolically and often satirically: a political cartoon.
2) A preliminary sketch similar in size to the work, such as a fresco, that is to be copied from it.
3) An animated cartoon.
4) A comic strip.
5) A ridiculously oversimplified or stereotypical representation: criticized the actor's portrayal of Jefferson as a historically inaccurate cartoo

And you'll find similar definitions in other references, but some references that go more into detail refer to #3 as "popular yet incorrect usage."

The word "cartoon" has been around longer than animation has, and it never applied to anything serious.

By definition, a cartoon is something that is either silly, immature or what not.

Since animation originated as a form of children's entertainment, and in North America remained a form of children's entertainment, it was never incorect to call it all "cartoons." And so it's so surprise that by popular usage, most people have come to use the word "cartoon" to refer to all animation. Much like most people have come to use the name "Kleenex" to refer to all tissue paper.

Here's the problem: It's completely natural for people to call animation "cartoons", regardless of whether it is technicly correct or not. Yet those very people have a natural perception of "cartoons" as something immature or silly. Obviosuly this doesn't apply to all anime, even if it does apply to most anime.

Yes, most anime is immature or silly. There are in fact very few completely serious or mature anime. Perfect Blue, for example, is not a cartoon. But Gundam Seed, Tenchi Muyo, FLCL, Mahoromatic, Lupin, GTO, Love Hina, they're all, in some way or another cartoons. (I'm not sure if I'd call sit-com style comedy cartoonish, this would remove GTO from the list).

Still, calling some of those titles cartoons despite the fact that they are produced for non-adults, does detract somewhat from their image. When a person says "cartoon" they think of something meant for pre-teens and younger. There are not a lot of cartoons made in North America for teenagers.

If there's a pre-conceived image that goes along with a word, and if that pre-conceived image isn't appropriate for a particular situation, then I don't think the word is appropriate.

I wouldn't call any anime geared exclusively towards teenagers or older "cartoons". But it's certainly not something to get mad at people over or argue about. It's not even worth "correcting" other people over.

Personally, when telling people what anime is, I call it "animation," but if someone else says "cartoons," I would never disagree with them.

BTW, when I don't want to get into the whole "what is anime" discussion, and someone asks me what I do for a living, I often respond, "I write about cartoons."

-t
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Try this. Smile

Hope that helps, and feel free to contribute to that existing thread if you like Wink.
keyz13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote
But most of the society think that cartoon is a genre for kids and is aimed for kids. For example a few a month ago, I watched one of my Rurouni Kenshin OVA VCD, and my aunt happened to walk by while I was watching and said "you still watched cartoon", as she looked down on me with weird face. I don't know about you but I feel kinda akward when someone said that to me.

If people think cartoon is animation I'm ok with that but most of them think that cartoon is kiddy stuff that's why some people think that anime fans are immature.

If I'm not mistaken (I read this somewhere before) that in some dictionary the word 'anime' mean japanese animation.

So to me cartoon and anime are probably two different thing but both of them is a form of animation.
CaptainZeke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Uhm.

They're the same thing. Anime is borrowed from the French, where it means "cartoon", and used by Japan as the same purpose. So to a Japanese person, Bugs Bunny is just as much anime as Full Metal Alchemist.

Outside of that, I do prefer Japanese Anime over American/French cartoons, regardless of their meanings.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
CaptainZeke wrote:
They're the same thing. Anime is borrowed from the French, where it means "cartoon", and used by Japan as the same purpose.

Actually, the term "anime" came from the Japanese romanisation of the term "animation." Take the first three syllables of "animeshon" and you get "anime."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
This is where some people like to refer to anime as Japanese animation or Japanimation. It kind of settles the dispute about anime being called cartoons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:52 am Reply with quote
CaptainZeke wrote:
They're the same thing. Anime is borrowed from the French, where it means "cartoon"

Actually, while I am guilty of stating the same thing in the past, animé does not mean "cartoon" in french. In means "animated." And not the "animated" that refers to animated pictures (animation), but rather "having the qualities of movement."

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=animated wrote:
To give life to; fill with life.
To impart interest or zest to; enliven: “The party was animated by all kinds of men and women” (René Dubos).
To fill with spirit, courage, or resolution; encourage. See Synonyms at encourage.
To inspire to action; prompt.
To impart motion or activity to.

Animation in french is called "Déssin animé," the french don't have a seperate word for animation and (animated)cartoons, but they do have carricature for carricatures/cartoons.

In French, if you say "animé" to refer to animation you will not be understood.

-t
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I’m new to this broad.

Technically, you can call them both Animation or cartoon. However, American Anime and Japanese Anime are very different to me. When you watch an animation 99% of the time I think a lot of you can identify which is Japanese Anime and which one is western anime.

That’s why they are not the same thing to me even though they maybe the same thing to many of you.

Right now, CN and other networks they clear categorize Japanese/American anime.

A thread about ninja scroll on this broad. Someone asked why are there only 13 episodes of ninja scroll. This is the different between Japanese Anime and American anime. Ok, not just anime even TV shows, 99% of the time a Japanese anime has an ending. IN this case ninja scroll’ story is only 13 episodes. No matter how good/bad the rating maybe, the show will end at the 13th episodes. Of course sometime they will make more episodes like slayers, but it still has an end. On the other hand, American cartoons – I don’t remember there are any endings. Sometime I watch an American cartoon, one day the show just ended. There is no ending, nothing….

There are other differences, but I think you guys already mentioned, so I’m not going to say the same thing again.

Sorry for possible typos because I’m in a boring meeting. lol
Imcoolurnot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I get kind of irritated when people say that I watch cartoons. Not because its not true but because I know what they perceive as a cartoon. To associate something like Captain Planet with something like Berserk sickens me.

*Let our powers combine my ass* Anime hyper
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
American animation can end without notice because they have no continuous story line, they are episodic, meaning the whole story is contained in one episode, and what happens to the character does not affect it in the next.

Very few actually have one, namely Justice League, and most based on marvel comics. From what I can tell, I'm not totally sure Megas XLR has a continuous story line.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Onv

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Imcoolurnot wrote:
I get kind of irritated when people say that I watch cartoons. Not because its not true but because I know what they perceive as a cartoon. To associate something like Captain Planet with something like Berserk sickens me.

*Let our powers combine my ass* Anime hyper

Are you saying Captain Planet is bad?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2