• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anybody checked out the previews in the Fox Box?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:48 am Reply with quote
This morning during the commercials, they're showing previews of...uh....Mew Mew Power, One Piece and F-Zero which means a possible preview of the dubs. Since I missed the preview of Tokyo Mew Mew, I can't really comment, but they did show One Piece. Since I never seen any sub versions of One Piece, I can't comment as well. What do you guys think?

Oh yeah, let's avoid mindless whining posts. Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:51 am Reply with quote
Can't comment on the clip itself, but the voices for Zoro and Luffy were dead on I thought. Can't wait.
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quote
The clips can be found on the Fox Box website over here.

I won't give an opinion because I have none. Confused
Ssj Rock Lee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought Zoros voice was great and and Luffy's wasnt too bad, better than i thought
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
The clips can be found on the Fox Box website over here.

I won't give an opinion because I have none. Confused

Wow, I have to say that Mew Mew Power looks really good. The voices seem fine and the animation seems better than the rest of the anime they've showed. I'll be glad to wake up in the morning to see that. Just have to remember to set my alarm clock. Luffy's voice seems a little young though. I guess it was meant to be that way. I've only read the manga in Shonen Jump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
What I find hilarious was slogging through another one of your usual 4Kids-bashing threads somewhere or other a month ago and reading complaints about that clip shown at one of those conventions a while back, a complaint that can be summarized thusly: "OH NOEZ! 4Kids is giving some of the pirates in the pirate cartoon pirate accents!" Well, duh... I suppose the budding young linguistic anthropologists can care to explain exactly how none of the characters, who were speaking Japanese before (regardless of whether or not you were meant to pretend that they were speaking English), would speak with a stereotypical pirate accent if they were speaking English? Not that I'm suggesting that all or even most of the male characters should have a traditional pirate accent, but what is the point of watching a pirate cartoon in English if at least one of the characters doesn't say "AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGH, MATEYS!"?

Speaking of talking like a pirate, they better show at least one episode of One Piece on September 19th.

Also, people who regularly track my forum posts here know I don't have any problem with editing, name changes, and localization for American children's television, as long as the licensor approves, since, well, "FUNi/Nelvana/4Kids paid for the rights and you didn't", but they had to name one of the girls in Mew Mew Power "Bridget"? Dammit, that name is already taken by the most yaoi-riffic (potentially) character in the history of the world!

EDIT: I was re-reading my post, and, just so there's no confusion, when I said "your usual 4Kids-bashing threads", I meant a general "your", not specifying darkchibi07 in any way.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Don't even put funi in the same place as 4kids and Nelvana. Funimation is not that kind of anime company anymore.

Last edited by Animefan16 on Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I suppose the budding young linguistic anthropologists can care to explain exactly how none of the characters, who were speaking Japanese before (regardless of whether or not you were meant to pretend that they were speaking English), would speak with a stereotypical pirate accent if they were speaking English?

Abunai . . . ^__~

Quote:
but they had to name one of the girls in Mew Mew Power "Bridget"? Dammit, that name is already taken by the most yaoi-riffic (potentially) character in the history of the world!

Hey, I know someone named Bridget. I don't think she spells her name that way, but whatever.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote
shoot me. shoot me now.

"loofie".

zoro called luffy "loofie".

i haven't heard the japanese version, but luffy *as in fluffy...* sounds like a kid. he's 17 in the manga...or is it 18..

*pulls hair out*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
shoot me. shoot me now.

*bang* You're dead.

Loofie vs Luffy isn't that big a deal, is it? At least it's the same "name", just a different vowel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustinSane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Hotaru wrote:
shoot me. shoot me now.

"loofie".

zoro called luffy "loofie".

i haven't heard the japanese version, but luffy *as in fluffy...* sounds like a kid. he's 17 in the manga...or is it 18..

*pulls hair out*

It's pronounced "Loofie" in the original verson, so 4kids did one thing right. Luffy's voice is kind of annoying but all in all it's alright, now Zorro's voice is kind of weak, he sounds way too nice for a pirate hunter. I know i'm gonna be disappointed with the edits, but i'll tivo it anyway
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Luffy was pronounced right, it's pronounced Loo-fee in the Japanese version, that's how it's supponsed to be pronounced. At least his name was left as Luffy, and not changed to "Roofy" or "Tod" or some other lame 4Kids name. I hope it's still Monkey D. Luffy, that becomes important later in the series.

The voices are close, but wrong. Luffy's is too young, he should sound youthful, but not like a kid. This luffy sounds like 10 or something. Zorro's voice needs more gravel in it, like Picollo from Dragon Ball, but it's also fairly close. Gold Roger's voice was just painfully wrong, but at least he doesn't talk much, so I can deal.

I'm slightly less worried about the show falling into 4Kid's grasping maw, but only slightly, they have a horrible reputation for butchery and degredation to overcome on this one.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised at the pronouncation of Luffy's name as well. It's just not how I was pronouncing it in my head as I read the manga. Confused Of course, I generally mess up the pronouncations when left to my own thoughts. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I saw the preview on TV... my compu is too slow to bother with it online. I assume they're the same ones. Luckily I caught the only one I was interested in.
coldspider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

I'm slightly less worried about the show falling into 4Kid's grasping maw, but only slightly, they have a horrible reputation for butchery and degredation to overcome on this one.

I wouldn't be too worried.A big reason why let's say Yugioh is so hacked up is because KidsWB's censorship guidelines are a lot more strict than Fox's.One Piece should do fine on the FoxBox as well as the other new animes premiering on the network.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I consider Shaman King to be a worse botch job than Yugioh, just because of the changes to the characters "Lenny" and "Rio" alone, and that show's on the Foxbox. 4Kids is just terrible when it comes to localizing anime, they have no respect for the original source material, so I'm giving them no benefit of the doubt when it comes to One Piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5