• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
.hack//SIGN vs .hack//DUSK: Can the new chapter compete?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasu-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Heyyo everyone. Okay, lets get to basics quickly.

For those of us avid fans of .hack//SIGN that viewed the series either on Cartoon Network about this time last year or by their own devices, or those people who played through all of the games (or in some cases both), there is a new chapter out in the .hack legacy; that is .hack//Legend of the Twilight (also known as .hack//DUSK). Following the exploits of two twin players Shugo and Rena, winners of the avatars of the famous "dot hackers" characters Kite and BlackRose, is this series a valid and perhaps good chapter in the .hack series, or is it simply an attempt to bring a younger generation into The World (and poorly, mind you)?

Has anyone even been able to sit through the first/second DVDs yet? I tracked down the first two mangas, yet it doesn't seem that Tokyopop released any other ones. There are supposed to be 13 episodes, but truly, for a avid .hack fan, are they worth enduring?

Please tell me if you've seen them; I'd love to know!

--Kasu
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Big Towers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quote
They're more fun than the slower moving, pretencious inter-nerd drama predecessor, and from what I have seen (first four episodes), it looks like it could be just fun, I geuss. It's nothing special.
Mitsuhide A.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
Maybe im the wrong person to be posting here but considering that i hated .hack//sign with a passion, i guess i have to say that .hack//dusk can compete
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:15 am Reply with quote
They're so vastly different in most aspects, it's nearly impossible to compare them.

The animation, character designs and settings are all somewhat similar. What's different in //DUSK is the pacing, the form of storytelling, an influx of humor (mostly slapstick), a much lighter tone, and more focus on action. If you enjoyed //SIGN, go for it; I personally liked //SIGN more, but I still find the sequel (or "second season," as Keith Arem and others at PCB Productions interestingly enough referred to //DUSK as at Anime Expo) enjoyable. I'm looking forward to the conclusion, because I've heard it gets more serious and darker.

As for the manga, Tokyopop released the first two volumes sometime late last year and then for whatever reason pushed the release of volume three (the conclusion) all the way to November of this year. I have no idea why.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:11 am Reply with quote
I like //SIGN a lot. It's an excellent story with equally excellent art, animation, and especially the music.

And I've only seen the first volume of //DUSK, though I have to say Vekou is right in that the two shows are completely different in terms of atmosphere.

//SIGN is more serious and meloncholy at times, while //DUSK is very fun, energetic, and full of slapstick humor.

I like them both, but I guess it just depends on your tastes. Wink
Shorty22

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I love .hack//dusk alot more than //sign. //dusk is brighter and just fun to watch. It's a lighthearted comedy on rpgs.
Depression

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
.hack//sign and .hack//dusk are two completely different shows. They may share some of the same qualities such as taking place in the same online game. Yet .hack//sign is dark and depressing. Where as .hack//dusk is much more up beat and light hearted. I prefer .hack//sign and think that they have come out with so many different .hacks just so that they can try to attract everyone to at least one aspect of the series. Yet watching the series is not too bad. I know that is playing on CN ever Friday night at 1am but by now it is at least half way though. So if you want to see it I recommend watching so Esp. there to see if you like it.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:20 am Reply with quote
I adore SIGN, probably because in general it's geared towards an older audience. DUSK is obviously for a younger audience. Although Shugo and Rena have problems, so far they're not nearly as direly serious as some of the issues that Tsukasa and company faced, and unless the series changes drastically, it seems that DUSK will ultimately be a lighter view of The World. I will tape/watch the whole series, but I don't see myself becoming nearly as attached to it as I did to SIGN. That's just a matter of preference.
beau8th

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I like all the .hacks, but I think .hack//DUSK is better cause I like the characters and story etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
.hack//Dusk is better than .hack//SIGN mainly because DUSK wasn't as slow as SIGN, and DUSK is more interesting and not as depressing and confusing as SIGN!
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:21 am Reply with quote
I almost bought it but...... I just cant. I want to buy it but some thing in my head always tells me some-thing bad. Sorry
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:28 am Reply with quote
I actually like .dot//sign and Dusk but these are two different shows. .hack//sign was very gloomy while Dusk is more fun and energenic.
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, i know what your saiyen.
GoldHawk021

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:23 am Reply with quote
Twilight Dragon wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, i know what your saiyen.

can you at least be a more specific. If you keep writing like that there will be a chance your message will be deleated.Sorry to be a little up-tight but at least write a complete sentence Wink
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
No prob. i kinda had a feeling that would happen.
I was agreeing to how you said that Sign was Gloomu and that Dusk was funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3