• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan(case closed)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote
so far this show is really boring. does it better as it goes along?
Lord Byron

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:24 am Reply with quote
I just got done watching the first episode on Cartoon Network not 30 minutes ago, which is apparently the first airing on American TV. Actually, I liked it pretty well, I thought it was funny and I like the main characters infatuation with Sherlock Holmes. Even in the first episode you can see something of an edge to this. spoiler[One of his first cases involves a decapitation while on a moving roller coaster.]

Now, you're entitled to your opinion of course, and I'm definitely not an expert on this show, but considering the shows run of 300+ episodes in Japan, I would think it does in fact get better.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing more of this show as it airs.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:30 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so far this show is really boring. does it better as it goes along?

spoiler["The criminal must be one of these seven passengers! Person A had the knife... but really, it was Person D because she was a gymnist and I noticed she lost her necklace, and she cried as she killed him. And I'm super-great and amazing because I figured that out."] :p

I dunno. I liked the first case explanation, involving the banker. I thought it was clever, but I found the second explanation somewhat ominous, as if this "style" of detective-work was going to rear its ugly head over and over, at least in the short term.

If only there were a quality teen action block on Cartoon Network, a place where Gundam Seed, Conan and Inu Yasha could lead into Bebop and Wolf's Rain.. ;)

PS: What was that quick 2 second "skyscraper" thing at the very end? I must've blinked my ears or something, 'cause it was gone before I heard it completely. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:42 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
spoiler[I dunno. I liked the first case explanation, involving the banker. I thought it was clever, but I found the second explanation somewhat ominous, as if this "style" of detective-work was going to rear its ugly head over and over, at least in the short term.]

Seemed pretty good for a pilot episode, I agree. Though with 300+ episodes, one can expect that there'll be some large degree of filler set around a few stock-standard mystery plots. Especially given that it fits a similar "prime time family show" mold to shows like Inu-Yasha, which actually have more filler than actual story-driven episodes. Confused

Cookie wrote:
If only there were a quality teen action block on Cartoon Network, a place where Gundam Seed, Conan and Inu Yasha could lead into Bebop and Wolf's Rain.. Wink

Yes, if only they had done what they pretty much said they'd do with Toonami. Instead, we have SVES v.2.0 with essentially a clone of Toonami's old weekday lineup plus about two new shows.

Cookie wrote:
PS: What was that quick 2 second "skyscraper" thing at the very end? I must've blinked my ears or something, 'cause it was gone before I heard it completely. :p

Japanese next-episode preview? Coulda sworn I heard them say the Japanese title of the show in there somewhere. Beyond that, no clue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:42 am Reply with quote
The style of animation reminds me of Lupin. The VAing isn't bad. Colleen did a good job considering she didn't get any practice at it. Her normal voice is a bit different and I was afraid she would just read. Monica did a good job too, she rarely gets a job her age, and once again she gets to play a much younger character.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:55 am Reply with quote
I thought they were going to change the entire show, remove some parts of the story, and change the music, just because the names were changed. Looks like I was wrong, this is pretty good.
Depression

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I think that so far it is a good show, with the interesting thing just about to happen. Yet I do expect it so be some what slow at points with 300+ episode there has to be fillers which will cause the story to slow down. Yet I wonder if the series will ever full be shown in the US. With so many episode it would take a long time and they are still coming out with more episode all the time so it looks unlikely that the full show will every be shown in the US or at least no in the near future at least, which is too bad if it doesn't because as I said it looks to be quiet a clever show.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, if only they had done what they pretty much said they'd do with Toonami. Instead, we have SVES v.2.0 with essentially a clone of Toonami's old weekday lineup plus about two new shows.

SVES 2.0 was the old block on saturday nights right, or is that the same as the new toonami on saturday nights? I read somewhere that toonami was moved to saturday nights to appeal to a more teenage audience.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
SVES 2.0 was the old block on saturday nights right, or is that the same as the new toonami on saturday nights? I read somewhere that toonami was moved to saturday nights to appeal to a more teenage audience.

that is, theoretically, what happened.

The daily Toonami block became Miguzi (with a target age of maybe 5-10?). Toonami moved to where SVES was (with a target age of 11-15?). Adult Swim, then, aims at the 16-20 range.

However, when one considers what DBZ "got away with" on the old Toonami, comparing the Saturday shows to it makes them feel a little watered down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Does the "new" toonami have less edits than when it was still on weekdays? It has to since they're aiming for 11-15 year-olds?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Does the "new" toonami have less edits than when it was still on weekdays? It has to since they're aiming for 11-15 year-olds?

11-15 was roughly the same demographic that Toonami aimed for during the week. Or at least it was included.

Either way, the content hasn't changed at all. At least not from what I've seen (which mostly just consists of SEED & Megas, but they've edited SEED just like it was on Toonami's old afternoon incarnation).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SamCurt

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

In Japan it's called "Next Conan's Hint." That is, it's the hint of the case in the next ep. Hence, it's usually after the preview, but oh well...
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:10 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Either way, the content hasn't changed at all. At least not from what I've seen (which mostly just consists of SEED & Megas, but they've edited SEED just like it was on Toonami's old afternoon incarnation).

I may be wrong, but it's highly likely that all of the shows currently airing were designed for the original Toonami. I'm sure they were well into editing SEED for the weekday Toonami by the time the plans were announced for the move. You figure roughly a year had gone by between the time SEED was announced for CN and the time Saturday Toonami was announced, and only about two months between the time the Saturday Toonami was announced and actually started. We probably won't see the full potential of Toonami until late summer/fall.

Emerje
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:01 am Reply with quote
Ah! You have a good point there! Yeah, I remember Adult Swim was in the same situation at first; Gundam 0083, Candidate for Goddess, etc. were all pre-edited to Toonami standards, and it wasn't until the likes of Inu-Yasha & such came along that genuine Adult Swim-oriented anime came about beyond just Cowboy Bebop and (at the time) Yuu Yuu Hakusho.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:23 am Reply with quote
If Case Closed gets popular enough, it might be put it an earlier time. Probably in the Sat. Toonami. Remember when yuyu hakusho was on adult swim? It might get edited but not a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3