• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Do you eat japanese?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Well? Does your diet consist of Japanese?

Whenever I cook for myself I ALWAYS have rice. I'm an addict! Very Happy

I tried Sake once because I am an idiot and thought that "It's shame to enter nirvana without ever having tasted good sake" as Seijuro Hiko said. But it tasted horrible I have to say. I also got a sore throught from drinking the stuff. Sad

I wonder if today's ramen can be considered japanese food? I eat alot of that too!

I've never tried pocky but the Suncoast I used to live by sold it occasionally. I really need to go get some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I have food court Japanese very, very occasionally, but, most of the time, the only thing specifically Japanese I eat is Nissin Cup Noodles, and that's because it's the only brand of instant ramen sold around here that still has real freeze-dried shrimp instead of just shrimp powder. And I've liked Cup Noodles since the 1980s, and, while I watched most of the anime available in English in syndication and on public television back then, I didn't start watching Japanese animation as a hobby in and of itself until 1994, so my love for Cup Noodles is independent of it being originally from Japan.

I jes' love the Big Macs too much for me to care that much about eating Japanese for the sake of eating Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:

You know...rice isn't just for Japanese food... most Asian countries eat rice as their main staple
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Every once in a while I go to a local Japanese steak house, and I love it. I'm still getting used to the taste of sushi *I can't stand it mostly unless I have green tea to wash down the taste left in my mouth* but I adore tempura, and pretty much anything for the grill there.

My favorite thing from the place is the greentea icecream. It has to be my favorite icecream flavor, and I'm going nuts with only being able to get it from Japanese restruants. My mother has an icecream machine, and we just recently bought greentea powder, so we're going to be doing some experimentation.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Good luck with the ice cream. As far as eating sushi goes, I don't have a big problem with most of it. Fortunately, when it comes to going out to buy and eat some, there are a lot of places around me that serve Teppan and Sushi as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I just went to a Japanese restaurant today, and hated most of the food. This really screws my plans for living in Japan one day Wink. I do like tempura,teriyaki and rice balls, as well as as some gyoza (meat dumplings, I think) that I tried once. Sushi has to be an aquired taste- I've tried it twice now, and the second time it was slightly less revolting. Despite all this, I'm going to try hard to sample all kinds of Japanese food so that I'll eventually enjoy it. It helps that I'm a rice fanatic too! If anything, my anime-interest has at least inspired me to attempt to eat corectly with chopsticks (after eating Chinese with a fork all these years). Wish me luck!
Naiomi

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Shocked You guy eat out alot!!

I spend most of my money on Anime/Manga/Video Games so I don't eat out much, but I do cook well.

I make really good Sushi, (My uncle taught me a while ago) and tempura, but it took a while to learn.
Ramen

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:
I tried Sake once because I am an idiot and thought that "It's shame to enter nirvana without ever having tasted good sake" as Seijuro Hiko said. But it tasted horrible I have to say. I also got a sore throught from drinking the stuff. Sad

My guess is that you still have not had good sake. Bad sake does exist, and if you don't know any better, that's probably what you'll get. Also, if it comes warm, it's probably bad. I don't know quite enough to spout brand names, but I've had my share of both good and bad sake, and it's real bad when it's bad.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Ramen wrote:
Jinchuu wrote:

My guess is that you still have not had good sake. Bad sake does exist, and if you don't know any better, that's probably what you'll get. Also, if it comes warm, it's probably bad. I don't know quite enough to spout brand names, but I've had my share of both good and bad sake, and it's real bad when it's bad.

its not horrible..and I've had bad sake before, if its really cheap sake the best you can do is just mix it with something. there is a Korean Japanese place near me that has good sake, which they serve hot, but it you let it cool down and get cold its still good.
graywolf

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:59 pm Reply with quote
rice is is WONDERFUL Very Happy Laughing Laughing Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every once in a while I go to a local Japanese steak house, and I love it. I'm still getting used to the taste of sushi *I can't stand it mostly unless I have green tea to wash down the taste left in my mouth* but I adore tempura, and pretty much anything for the grill there.

Well, there's your problem. The Japanese steakhouse is an American invention. Never, EVER eat in a Japanese steakhouse and expect to get decent Japanese food.
Nani?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote,

Quote:

Of course not. I have several friends who are Japanese and they do not want me to eat them,spoiler[ At least not from a nutritional standpoint]. I don't know about were you are but here in Denver it is not only bad form, but it's illegal. How would you like if Japanese ate Gaijin? Crying or Very sad
Seriously, don't eat your friends, or even people you don't like.

Then again,
Considering the reputed health benefits of the Okinawa diet and no carbs (great for Atkins Laughing ) I might want to reconsider. Wink

Jokeing aside,

There are all sorts of really good japanese places around here (some very cheap) where you can get anything, Yakisoba, sushi, Gyoza, Miso and my personal favorite Eel Sashimi. I personally can do a good curry but otherwise I'm a member of the Anake Tendo cooking society.

All the best,

Nani?

Last edited by Nani? on Thu May 13, 2004 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naiomi

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quote
A sarcastic literalist! Very Happy Of course, who's really to discriminate between Japanese, American or even Canadian or French. Take Gluttony for example.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
Jinchuu wrote:

You know...rice isn't just for Japanese... most Asian countries eat rice as their main staple

Yea I agree. Rice is not consider to be a "Japanese" food, but rather it's tradional Asian food in which china, vietnam, korea, thailand and many other counties eat as part of thier diet. Most rice in the U.S. are imported from china. Being Chinese and Vietnamese myself, I eat rice at least once a day with my family and I would never consider it japanese food. I would say most Asian American are sick of white rice because it tastes plain.

So you can eat all the rice you want, but you can't say it's japanese rice. Also japanese food and real japanese food are different. I don't think you would go into a Yoshinoya and call it real japanese food for the same reason you wouldn't call Taco Bell, real mexican food.

Each Asian countires though are known for certain food
Chinese: Chow Mien, Fried Rice etc
Vietnamese: Pho
Korean: Kimchi "Korean-style" Steak
Japanese: Udon, Domburimono, Sukiyaki
Tha: Pat Thai

Japanese food can be expensive around here, especially the shushi and kareake bar. The best japanese food I ate was Shabushabu prepare by a Japanese chef in a Japanese resturant in Little Tokyo. Most Westerner will find this very good too, even better than sushi, so I would recommend getting this if you don't know all. I say the best way to eat sushi is with "a lot" of wasabi to kept keep the raw fish down.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had sushi in a while, I'm too poor.

I had some Japanese food at a food court once. Just haven't been back in a while.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3