• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
R.O.D. DVD at Deep Discount DVD-- Is this legit or a bootleg

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,
I know Deep Discount often offers great deals on legit DVD sets (got my Macross Boxset #3 there for 40$!!)--

I wanna get the ROD set there, but the cover they show is different from the one I've always seen before (the one with the girl turning to look up and behind her with her jacket swirling)--

Here's the link--
www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=RYK041932

My question is-- is this one a bootleg? Or simply a different version of the normal legit release, or perhaps Deepdiscount simply put the wrong picture up?? I've not known Deep Discount to sell bootlegs, but the cover took me by surprise.....

Thanks.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Well, the UPC's right...looks fine to me. Maybe Manga sent that one out a while ago, before they decided on the R2 cover.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quote
They don't sell bootlegs... that must have been the preliminary cover or something (it is the artwork used in the inner booklet/poster, but with the logos in a different place).

I can see a version of the regular Manga logo, so I doubt it's from a bootlegged cover, and the information matches up with the legitimate release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:59 pm Reply with quote
DDD doesn't sell bootlegs, according to their site. I've never had any problems with their products. Sometimes their box art doesn't always match, but the product received is always the proper R1 release.

These guys are golden, in my book. Buy without concern for piracy....
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:00 am Reply with quote
Quite right... these guys only sell the real deal. Although I must admit, that would have been a pretty kick-ass cover. In the end, I'm pretty much with Miagi... I suspect that it was only a preliminary cover image that they recieved. It'll still be fine if you purchase it from them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:05 am Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
I've never had any problems with their products.

Well, they did send 5-6 different packages to me, which for unknown reasons never showed up at my door. They were nice enough to refund me but I won't be buying from them again since the packages probably won't show up. Too bad, I really liked their prices and huge selection.

Last edited by kamiboy on Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:06 am Reply with quote
Nope, Deep Discount sells legit dvds only. Their prices may seem to indicate bootlegs, but they're not.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote
Actually, when DVDExpress aquired GameCave, they also acquired their huge stock of bootlegs and SM CDs

I actually called them up and let them know. Fortunately as a responsible company they yanked the offending merchandise within hours
gnollman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:26 pm Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
gnollman wrote:
I've never had any problems with their products.

Well, they did send 5-6 different packages to me, which for unknown reasons never showed up at my door. They were nice enough to refund me but I won't be buying from them again since the packages probably won't show up. Too bad, I really liked their prices and huge selection.

Must be an international problem.... never had any problems with their shipping, in all the times I've dealt with them.

Sorry to hear about your trouble, though...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote
Same with me. I've ordered lots of stuff from them, including ultimate and limited edition items. They always got to me no problem, and I've nothing to complain about, except for one of the prongs in the DVD case being broken, but it was easily swappable with one of my other cases. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I'm sure it is just an international probelm. I think they're more suited for shipping within the U.S. Sorry... Sad
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Many countries have censorship laws, which may or may not restrict what you can bring into the country, or the postal officials may or may not think that what you're ordering violates it even if it doesn't.

Either way, I would call your post office, as it's likely that they seized them, or returned to sender. The major US DVD companies, Amazon, DDD, etc are probably flagged in their databases
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Many countries have censorship laws, which may or may not restrict what you can bring into the country, or the postal officials may or may not think that what you're ordering violates it even if it doesn't.

Either way, I would call your post office, as it's likely that they seized them, or returned to sender. The major US DVD companies, Amazon, DDD, etc are probably flagged in their databases

Nuh uh, not Denmark. Trust me on this one; I live in one of the most free and liberal countries in the universe. You should see the new Danish computer animated movie for "kids". If that thing had been released in the US with a PG13 rating I'm sure it would have started a new civil war.

Anywaste, it is possible that the package were sent back for some reason, but since I chose the cheapest shipping whose packages are not traceable the Danish post offices couldn't do much to help me find out what had happened to them.
tetsusaiga-kyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Every now and then Deep Discount DVD puts the wrong cover on their DVDs, but they still only sell official region 1 DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Every now and then Deep Discount DVD puts the wrong cover on their DVDs, but they still only sell official region 1 DVDs.

What are you talking about? The DVDs have the covers inserted at the pressing plant, DDD never touches them
tetsusaiga-kyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What are you talking about? The DVDs have the covers inserted at the pressing plant, DDD never touches them

Let me clarify that. I am talking about the pictures that Deep Discount DVD puts on items online. For example, the Robotech Remastered Extended Edition has the wrong picture for it online. Here is a picture of the correct one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1