• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Help and recommendations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex014

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
I need some help trying to find manga's.
Some of the genres I like are: action, adventure, comedy, supernatural, horror, mystery and romance.

Several manga's I like include (in no particular order):

Bleach
Rurouni Kenshin
xxxHolic
Death Note
Kami-Kaze
Love Hina

Please recommend manga's you think I would like. Thank you. Smile
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
D. Gray-man? It's shounen and it covers almost every of the genres you mentioned.
Kenshin_Himura93

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely check out Fullmetal Alchemist. It is an action, comedy, and gets really creepy sometimes. I think you would really like it Very Happy
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I would have to go with what Tamaria said. D. Gray-Man is something that you might enjoy. I know that I thought it was entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Trigun it's an action/adventure, and one of the best manga titles. Nice collection by the way.
Kenshin_Himura93

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Also, i just started reading it this weekend. The manga is called Kiseiju. I think it is really good. The plot is a little unorigional, but i still really like it. It is really creepy, and you should check it out.
Agoston

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Trigun it's an action/adventure, and one of the best manga titles. Nice collection by the way.
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to go against that. The Trigun anime is great and definitely worth checking out, but the manga is way worse.

I read it and the second half makes almost no sense (it's only 2 volumes). The fighting scenes are just so unorganized and confusing you don't know who's shooting who. The ending was just so.. strange. spoiler[ Knives was a naked man with hair down to his ass, I don't think you can get too much weirder than that. ] I've never read Trigun Maximum though, so I don't know about that.

Monster is an excellent mystery/suspense manga you could try, and Claymore is one of the best shonen mangas I've read, but make sure you read past volume 4 or so, 1 and 2 are mostly just setting up.

Oh and what do you think of Kami Kaze? I was thinking of trying that out.
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Hi Alex.

Since you like xxxHOLiC, it's worth noting that it eventually gets increasingly harder to get all of what's going on if you're not also following Tsubasa, in spite of the early volumes' claims that one doesn't need to follow both. The catch-22 is that you lose alot in Tsubasa if you're not familiar with CLAMP's other works and should probably be familiar with Cardcaptor Sakura at a bare minimum before starting it. So you'll eventually have to make a choice between either becoming lost in Tsubasa's CLAMP allusions or not getting a significant chunk of what's going on in Holic in later volumes. Just thought I'd let you know in case you weren't aware.
Sanosuke_Sagara-85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey Alex, I'd suggest Gunsmith Cats, it has alot of action, some witty humor, meticulously drawn artwork, and a great storyline. Though it can be episodic at times, the stories are clever and exciting, so this is not a deterrent. It takes place in a mafia infested Chicago and has many guns, cars, locales, etc, all of which are drawn from the real things/places (I'm from Illinois so I love Chicago!). This is my most favorite manga of all time along with The Slayers sagas (which I would also definitely recommend based on your preferences), both being the first two I'd ever read when I was a sprout. Wink
Cloud992345

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
If you like Love Hina, read Negima. its by the same author.
I recommend Black Cat and Claymore if you like Bleach.
Black Cat is about bounty hunters, and Claymore is about demon slaying.
Hellsing is recommended if you are looking for something a little bit darker. It is a manga about vampires, and it gets really good later on in the series.
D. Gray man, as stated above, is also good.
Comedy-wise, go find a copy of Excel Saga. its hilariously funny, both the manga and anime.
yu yu hakusho is a good supernatural shonen manga.
And thats all im going to recommend...
(Disappears) Cool
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to go against that. The Trigun anime is great and definitely worth checking out, but the manga is way worse.

I read it and the second half makes almost no sense (it's only 2 volumes). The fighting scenes are just so unorganized and confusing you don't know who's shooting who. The ending was just so.. strange. spoiler[ Knives was a naked man with hair down to his ass, I don't think you can get too much weirder than that. ] I've never read Trigun Maximum though, so I don't know about that.

Monster is an excellent mystery/suspense manga you could try, and Claymore is one of the best shonen mangas I've read, but make sure you read past volume 4 or so, 1 and 2 are mostly just setting up.

Maybe you should read Trigun Maximum to see what they're talking about, and backup your claim. Personally, I like the anime better, (I always prefer the anime to manga) but themanga is worth a read. Plus alex014 is asking for manga recommendations, and Trigun was recommended. Let the them decide if they want to read the manga or not. This is not a thread to discuss which manga is better.
Agoston

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
@ Youkai Warrior - This isn't a thread for backseat moderating either. Trigun Maximum and Trigun are different, and I'm pretty sure Dark Elf was only talking about Trigun. I'm just stating my opinion on Trigun and why I didn't like part of the manga, and some other mangas that Alex might like more than Trigun. He's asking for opinions and I'm giving mine, nothing wrong with that.

Oh yeah, and Parasyte is another great manga to try. It has lots of action, but it's also serious and at times very thought provoking. It's a little gorier than most of your favorites, but the gore isn't too bad or excessive and it's definitely worth trying out. It's not very long either (the newest Del Ray edition will finish at 8 volumes in July with 5 out at the moment).
alex014

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:

I think it's a great manga, although it took me a while to find a store that sold it.
alex014

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
Thank you everybody.

I've been getting some pretty interesting recommendations and I hope to check them out whenever I get the chance. Smile
Xxipodipodxx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
hey i think u might like Naruto it has action,and sort a supernatural, and it pretty funny! but its gets really really exciting! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2