• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Being Used in Possibly Illegal Ads?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
I was at work today reading my local newspaper, The Oregonian, when I noticed a full-page ad for something called the "ClearView TV" digital converter box, for the upcoming switch to digital TV next year. It claims that the boxes are free, but you have to pay a $59 5-year warranty and pay for shipping. Here's a link to a news article about the current investigation into the legality of the ad.

http://www.katu.com/news/tech/20006249.html?video=pop&t=a

However, what I noticed upon looking over the ad is that one of the pictures at the bottom shows a man and two young girls watching the Kodomo no Jikan OVA episode on their tv. Where in the world did these people get this show to watch, and why is this company using the image in the ad? I guess this has already been brought up around the internet, but sadly, I just got home and was curious if anything at all is legal about this ad? Question

http://drdazzlement.livejournal.com/143336.html
*Some profanity in the main post on this link, but a scan of the picture in question.*
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
Most likely some bored graphic designer just edited it in for the lulz, and it succeeded. Not like the Japanese will ever find out or care though.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Most likely photoshopped. While the vertical banding pattern is uniform on the entire picture (well done, you anonymous prankster), there's a small triangular gap at the lower left corner of the TV screen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
It looks like a CRT and those rarely photograph or film well due to the rastering so they probably had to edit the image anyway, and whoever was reponsible obviously has a sense of humour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Kodomo no Jikan: Fun for the whole family. Probably the funniest news exposure to anime I've seen in a while.
akichan911

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
What section of The Oregonian might this be in? I'd like to see it myself (not because I don't trust it, I just wanna see it!).
musk.stick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
Out of all the anime they could've chosen, they picked Kodomo no Jikan? I love their sense of humour.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quote
akichan911 wrote:
What section of The Oregonian might this be in? I'd like to see it myself (not because I don't trust it, I just wanna see it!).

It's the full-page ad that is Page A8. I guess it'd be the back of the main "Oregonian" paper. Even if it's a prank, it's still a 'wtf' moment seeing that in my newspaper. Anime hyper
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Most likely photoshopped. While the vertical banding pattern is uniform on the entire picture (well done, you anonymous prankster), there's a small triangular gap at the lower left corner of the TV screen.

[image clipped]

I'm going to trust this assessment more than I would trust some random blogger.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the picture was photoshopped, no doubt, but that was into the image that would be used in print. The pictures are legit, it's online and in the newspapers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1