• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gatekeepers 21

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:15 am Reply with quote
Who has seen this great series, currently airing on TechTV's Anime Unleashed, Evening Block? I was able to see the first 2 eps, Friday night, and I am HOOKED on this series. A shame it's only 6 eps long. I know there was a gatekeeprs before this one, is there any way of knowing that since I like the OAV/sequel, that I would like the original as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:32 am Reply with quote
On TechTV's board, I posted some background info about GK TV, but since GK 21 is a squal to the TV and I guess the manga, it's pretty easy to get lost. The TV Series is a bit more comical with a dash of romance but it is not as dark as compared to 21. If you watch the first volume and enjoyed it, you might want to give the rest of series a try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:38 am Reply with quote
Well I haven't seen the OAV yet, but I do recomend the TV series. It has a very retro feel to it with excellent animation very nicely integrated with CG done by Gonzo.
NickGXZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:27 pm Reply with quote
*scratches head*

GK 21 looks good, and yeah I felt kinda lost at the beginning. I have to see the previous.

Though, I'm not hooked on this anime. I'll watch it when its on, but the only two anime series I've gotten hook on on TechTV's night block is Silent Mobius (Note the Avatar) and Betterman.

And yes, I didn't feel like adding that special character. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
skullman65

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:47 pm Reply with quote
i got the whole series but I've only watched the first ep i like it alot but its practically gatekeepers oppositte its dark and the original is funny.
I've read a couple of the gatekeppers manga and like it i think that it a worthy title probally better than 21
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote
after watching the first few episodes of Gate Keepers 21, it made me want to watch the original. good show

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Ramen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:47 pm Reply with quote
As many have already stated, the original Gatekeepers is much more light hearted than Gatekeepers 21. One thing I found is that watching the original makes the sequel more interesting because of the references made in Gatekeepers 21. It also brings up some questions like spoiler[why is Kageyama working for Aegis now? what the heck heppened to him?]
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:23 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ He might be a turncoat, may haps. But in OVA 5, he does explain himself and why he is after the gems (It's been a very, very long time since I watched it.]

I haven't got the chance to see OVA 6, because I found out that Pin bought up the rights when it did. *Shurgs* Gives me something to look forward to on Thursday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:55 am Reply with quote
thanks for the info guys, I really do appreciate it. Another Gatkeeprs question. Is the original Gatekeepers available on VHS? All I can find is Gatekeepers on DVD, and I cannot afford DVD's....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Yep. In fact, GK was one the last VHS Anime Series put out the Pinoneer. Good luck finding it. ^^;; Sunscoast might have, but you'll have better luck on Amozan.com
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Yep. In fact, GK was one the last VHS Anime Series put out the Pinoneer. Good luck finding it. ^^;; Sunscoast might have, but you'll have better luck on Amozan.com

thanks man, I'll be checking eBay, and Half.com for it.
yellow184

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:12 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the GK 21 and was wondering if there was any info about what happened to the characters from Gatekeepers TV series. Like radio dramas, books, or misc.
Hotaru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:12 am Reply with quote
wait, who sait GK 21 was only 6 episodes?

well, i caught two episodes on tech tv tonight, and it seems alright. i really liked the first one (tv...oav...?) and the manga isn't too bad. i still don't know if i wanna buy the dvd though. we recorded two more episodes so hopefully we'll be able to see it. the dub wasn't too horrible, thankfully. *pities those who saw crest of the stars dub* it totally ruined the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:55 am Reply with quote
yellow184 wrote:
I just finished watching the GK 21 and was wondering if there was any info about what happened to the characters from Gatekeepers TV series. Like radio dramas, books, or misc.

GK '85 Abit of a warning, there are some spoilers to '85. Reader beware.
janice_singkit

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:45 am Reply with quote
I have seen this one... It's darker than the first one... I can't say it's better... I have info regarding the old characters. Search for it in the internet. I think it is something like 1985 book or something like that... Anyway, send me a pm and I'll send you the info... It is stored in the other computer.Just send a message.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2