• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best. Firefox extension. Ever.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
As I was processing this split request, I was looking for a Firefox extension that would allow me to search on a page for 林有紀 and 林祐己 at the same time. So I found the XUL/Migemo extension that allows to search with regular expressions, so /林有紀|林祐己/ would do what I wanted.

But that extension does something even more amazing. You can search for "Hayashi Yuuki" and it will find any kanji that match this romaji! Oh, and itt also allows to search while ignoring accents (find both e and é) and difference of hiragana/katakana (find both え and エ)

This is pure mana from the sky; it's like it was designed specifically for Encyclopedia operations Shocked Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
This is nowhere near as good, but I like amazon popup image (sic capitalization)—it's a great time saver (as well as a time waster, in that it encourages me to view more covers).

I will definitely take a look at XUL/Migemo.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I was going to check it out, but the page linked shows "Not available for Firefox 8.0" so I guess not.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:54 am Reply with quote
You could always try the add-on compatibility reporter add-on - most add-ons work anyway if you force them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
There is a Migemo extension for Chrome (well, it is in two parts).
As far as I can tell it doesn't do regex and doesn't have a name dictionary.

Can't get the Firefox one to work. Not sure if it is because I have FF8 or because I'm just doing it wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1