• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GITS SE

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
Does any one know the difference between the Ghost in the shell Special Edition and the regular one? (besides the packaging.)
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote
Ooops....I read the title wrong.... Mad

Last edited by SuperOnizuka on Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
Here are the differences (from ANN's release catalogue - which nobody seems to know about):

Ghost in the Shell original version:
DVD Features: Digitally Remastered Feature Film, Additional 30 minute Program: The Making of "Ghost In The Shell," Interactive Menus, Complete Movie Production Report, English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound / Japanese Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound, Wide Screen Version

Ghost in the Shell Special Edition:
Disc One:
Digitally Re-mastered Anamorphic Widescreen Feature, Custom Motion Interactive Menus, English 6.1 DTS-ES Surround, English 5.1 Dolby Digital-EX Surround, Japanese 6.1 DTS-ES Surround, Japanese 5.1 Dolby Digital-EX Surround, Spanish Dolby Digital Stereo, French Dolby Digital Stereo, Italian Dolby Digital Stereo, German Dolby Digital Stereo, English Subtitles

Disc Two:
Character Dossiers, Creator Biography, Director Biography, Digital Works, Production Report, Ghost in the Shell Trailers, Previews, DVD Catalog & Web Links
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Here are the differences (from ANN's release catalogue - which nobody seems to know about):

Ghost in the Shell original version:
DVD Features: Digitally Remastered Feature Film, Additional 30 minute Program: The Making of "Ghost In The Shell," Interactive Menus, Complete Movie Production Report, English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound / Japanese Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound, Wide Screen Version

Ghost in the Shell Special Edition:
Disc One:
Digitally Re-mastered Anamorphic Widescreen Feature, Custom Motion Interactive Menus, English 6.1 DTS-ES Surround, English 5.1 Dolby Digital-EX Surround, Japanese 6.1 DTS-ES Surround, Japanese 5.1 Dolby Digital-EX Surround, Spanish Dolby Digital Stereo, French Dolby Digital Stereo, Italian Dolby Digital Stereo, German Dolby Digital Stereo, English Subtitles

Disc Two:
Character Dossiers, Creator Biography, Director Biography, Digital Works, Production Report, Ghost in the Shell Trailers, Previews, DVD Catalog & Web Links

NICE Very Happy

Thanks for the info.

Do you think there will be a box set for GITS SAC?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
GiTS SAC? Is that the TV series? I don't have any clue, but if they haven't done it already, I doubt they will.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jkn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen a full box set of Stand Along Complex season 1 for the US market mentioned. Here's the release schedule and cover art for all seven dvd's - last one coming out in July 2005:

http://www.ghostintheshell.tv/dvd.php
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, seeing as how each Special Edition volume will come with some sort of extra, I suppose we can only hope one of them will come with an artbox or something. If not, then maybe Paul Champagne can make something up. And then of course by the time I pay $30 for one of those, Bandai/Manga will have already released a stand alone artbox for probably a third to half the the price, but at least the Champagne one will be metal Anime smile + sweatdrop.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
You know, much like Ninja Scroll I REALLY wish Manga Ent. didn't make these useless DTS tracks, as their up-mixing from stereo doesn't sound much better and the 5.1 sounds just the same. Also, all of these foreign language stereo tracks really kinda put me off, i mean they're sacrificing a lot of video quality for these.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
No, they aren't sacrificing video quality for those, audio doesn't take up all that much space even on a DVD. My guess is that they are using a double layer DVD (approx 8.3GB)
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No, they aren't sacrificing video quality for those, audio doesn't take up all that much space even on a DVD. My guess is that they are using a double layer DVD

But a DVD can transfer a maximum of 10 megabits per second, of which those 2 DTS tracks are taking up a minimum of 1.5. So yes, while there may be physical discspace available, you still have bandwidth issues.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Even so, its probably not noticeable
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

But a DVD can transfer a maximum of 10 megabits per second, of which those 2 DTS tracks are taking up a minimum of 1.5. So yes, while there may be physical discspace available, you still have bandwidth issues.

True, the total bitrate for a DVD is 10.08 Mbps and the highest bitrate for video is 9.8 Mbps. This is assuming a constant bitrate is being used, instead of a variable bitrate. The average video bitrate is around 4 Mbps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1