• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bamboo Blade.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oo4443

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
cant wait to see episode 17 sometime in the next few days to see what happends with the team and Tama. i do not like the girl she have to face next Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
iggentleman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying this one a lot, especially since I'm a fencer and have done some aikido and kendo. The matches are much like fencing matches I've attended. They have gotten the look and feel of going into a bout down pretty well.
Aside from that I like the characters and the humor. The plot is not too complicated, so it is good mindless fun.
Xeric

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 19. If anybody out there has seen this episode and has also seen the second season of Genshiken, you might be able to answer my question. In Genshiken the American friend of Ohno, Angela Burton, is voiced by Yuki Kaida. Did Yuki Kaida also voice the American foreigner Kelly in this episode of Bamboo blade? They sound identical to me. The Encyclopedia was inconclusive, and I unfortunately can't read Japanese.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
This was an interesting watch for me. I've only seen episode two but I was quite impressed with Tama and her friend. I'm hoping to see more of the series soon, I'd definetly like to see how this team is put together, and how spoiler[the sensei is able to train them ]Laughing
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Alright, i've seen up to episode 9 but have not gone on any further as i just have not had the time. But i was wondering who else likes it.

Last, do the matches get more intense. Because so far i've only seen that practice match and it was good and all but the only intense thing was how the other sensei wanted to fight tamachi. so just curious and do know how many episodes are out or how long the entire series is.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
so just curious and do know how many episodes are out or how long the entire series is.

Here:

encyclopedia wrote:
Number of episodes: 26
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
Alright, i've seen up to episode 9 but have not gone on any further as i just have not had the time. But i was wondering who else likes it.

Last, do the matches get more intense. Because so far i've only seen that practice match and it was good and all but the only intense thing was how the other sensei wanted to fight tamachi. so just curious and do know how many episodes are out or how long the entire series is.

Yes the matches do get more intense, like when Tamaki spoiler[uses Tsuki] or Miya-Miya spoiler[gets into a rivalry with the halfie girl]. But if you are looking for a "fight series" like DBZ or Bleach, this isn't it.

What I love about Bamboo Blade is that it ISN'T about just kendo matches that take 5 episodes to finish and everyone spends half the time powering up or whatever ... it's about great characters that you really get to know, and capturing the true feel of being in a school club. The storylines are about making friends and rivals, getting to know your teacher in a new way, the ups and downs of traveling to matches, and really just growing up together. That's what I think makes it such a unique and great series.
Xeric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:

I liked it enough to watch it through. Yeah, the matches do get more intense and serious later on. They do go to several tournaments which they take pretty seriously. However, they still manage to keep things light hearted enough to be believable (it's still just a high school kendo team and they keep that in mind. No life or death battles or anything).
darkraven2000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
yeh I've just finished watching bamboo blade.
I have to agree with the OP. I was liking it and i didn't even know why i was liking it lol ><
It is sort of simple, down to earth , but entertaining. The fights aren't anything really special either, sometimes i can't tell who is fighting because of the helmets.
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote
I like this series too, but I'm still watching it now. Here in Germany the series isn't available. Nor the manga, neither the anime has been published. So thanks God for the I-Net where I can watch "Bamboo Blade" in Japanese with Englisch subs.
Last episode I watched was No. 8.
suchibu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
well the door is kinda open for a second season. i doubt it but at the same time very much hope for one. it was one of the best anime of its type I've watched in quite a while.
Tomodachi

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the ending was already a complete give away for a second series, but I'm really hoping for it! Very Happy This series was the best. First episode caught my attention in an instant. I can honestly say that I've been so in-love with this series I've already watched it about 3 times already Anime smile + sweatdrop . But anyways, looking forward to BB II.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote
So does that mean a second season has been confirmed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
No. And I don't see it as a dead giveaway for a second season either. It could be a reference to the manga, or it could just be an indication that the characters will continue to face new rivals and challenges, yadda yadda yadda.

But a second season would be most welcome.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, I'm a bit late in the game with this one... I wanted a complete series to watch whilst I wait for the spring releases coming out. I'm so glad I managed to catch this one.

I took up Kendo here in the UK very recently, and was curious as to what Kendo anime were out there. I had no preconceptions, just wanted to watch something based in and around Kendo really. What i got was so much more!

I think where this series gets it right is in it's moderation. There are so many lookalike anime out there. Plotlines are repacked and sold with different characters, and different studios, but there does seem to be a lot of anime-by-numbers. Where Bamboo Blade shines is in the fact it realises the need for the viewer to have something to relate to, without overindulging.

A lot of the elements we see in the show we've seen before elsewhere. But we're not force fed them... The makers were smart in keeping our involvement just deep enough. The laughs were frequent and smart, not condescending, nor did a casual viewer require intricate knowledge of Japanese culture in order to 'get it'. Heck, the anime was about Kendo but anyone could enjoy it.

It can appeal to a broad range of viewers because it's a good anime. Really good. It's fun, involving at times and the characters aren't under or overbaked. I'd say it's got a whole bunch of appeal across the board, and would wholeheartedly recommend it to any fan of anime.

As for a second series, it's possible, but it might just be a small nod saying 'Go buy the manga, find out what happens next'.

I certainly will be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3