• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Karas The Revelation on Scifi

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I was just checking the Scifi channel schedule because Ani Monday isn't airing tonight and discovered that Scifi is showing Karas The Revelation on Nov. 5.
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Woo hoo! Now I must postpone watching my copy of Karas Revelation received from online store since I can watch it from the tele shortly.

Of course, this means that Sci-Fi has dumped Noein two weeks in a row. Sad
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
I was just checking the Scifi channel schedule because Ani Monday isn't airing tonight and discovered that Scifi is showing Karas The Revelation on Nov. 5.

Not to say it's necessarily a bad thing, but last I checked sci-fi censored any anime they broadcasted, so can it really be that good of a thing either?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
samuraiwalt wrote:

Not to say it's necessarily a bad thing, but last I checked sci-fi censored any anime they broadcasted, so can it really be that good of a thing either?

I'm not going to complain about free anime. Hopefully it will eventually make it to Encore or Starz. Scifi is also going to show Black Jack and Street Fighter Alpha: Generations in Nov.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Last I checked, even the Japanese censored broadcasts of some anime so who cares? The broadcast provides an oportunity for people who have a vague interest or are just curious to see it and find out if they want it on DVD. The chances of whatever gets edited out being so important that it makes the show unwatchable are pretty slim.

Besides, the fact that any anime gets on TV and that a network like Sci-Fi would start airing an anime block (and actually promote it!) is a very good thing. Anime needs the legal exposure.

And if the idea of seeing a series censored in any way is a major issue, just buy the DVDs. They are almost always uncut and dual language, with few exceptions which are mostly 4kids releases or other series aimed at kids in the R1. I'd love to see nothing but uncut anime on TV, but it's not likely to ever occur because there are people in this country on all sides of politics and religion who are either convinced the content will warp impressionable minds or they think people have to be protected from content they think is bad for us. Censors are almost as bad as the food police. (I'd like to eat my greasy triple cheese burger while watching my ecchi anime thank you very much. I'm old enough to clog my arteries and enjoy fanservice laden series if I want to!)

Personally, my only problem with them showing Karas: The Revelation on Sci-Fi is that I haven't seen the first half of the series! And, as eyesopen0791 mentioned, that Noein has been pushed back yet again. (I want to see the end! I need to know if it ends well so I can decide if I want the DVDs or not!)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:
Woo hoo! Now I must postpone watching my copy of Karas Revelation received from online store since I can watch it from the tele shortly.

You could do that but I don't really see why you'd want to torture yourself with all the blasted commercial breaks Sci-Fi Channel inserts. Best to watch it uninterupted on DVD, even better for the surround sound and enhanced picture quality (if you have the proper equipment to take advantage of it at least). Confused

Quote:
Of course, this means that Sci-Fi has dumped Noein two weeks in a row. Sad

Ouch that sucks for casual viewers since I wouldn't say Noein is really something for everyone, it's kind of an aquired taste. People might lose interest in it. I've seen it already though, liked it a whole lot, and now own all 5 discs.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Personally, my only problem with them showing Karas: The Revelation on Sci-Fi is that I haven't seen the first half of the series! And, as eyesopen0791 mentioned, that Noein has been pushed back yet again. (I want to see the end! I need to know if it ends well so I can decide if I want the DVDs or not!)

I guess you don't have Encore. It was just on a few weeks ago and will be on again Dec. 2.
Or you could download it off of Vongo. They've got a 14 day free trial offer.
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
@Richard J.

I am 90% sold already on buying Noein just from enjoying watching on TV unless one of my favorite characters gets offed and in a horrible way that will probably make me cry buckets (Sad movies/shows make me cry easily) and I just don't want to buy/own anything that has a tragic ending. Sorry, it's just me, my own personal hangup. I won't buying anything anymore with a tragic ending. Now watching it to the end and filing it away in my memory bank, that's ok. Smile

@Kurszer

Eh, I've already been watching Noein from the beginning on Sci Fi so I'm used to the prolonged torture Laughing . If I watch my copy on DVD, I won't feel like watching on TV and I want to do my part on supporting the ratings. As for the picture and sound quality, I'm watching it on my 46" HDTV Sony Bravia and have the stereo sound system speakers on. It's a blast of a viewing experience.

I really, really, really hate those corner watermark ads. If you're [you, the TV channel] going to force me to watch a commercial, don't cover up part of my show with your stupid ads! Arrghh! Mad

One of the reasons I like Noein is because I've always wished to be a physicist/scientist but failed because I only got average grades in those types of classes. Them were some hard classes and like I'm going to be so motivated as I take them in high school! Wink

@samuraiwalt

I watched Karas Prophecy from Encore. It plays on it endlessly. I kept it on the DVR until the hubby hollered at me to clear it off. Sad Must check out this Vongo thing.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I personally was not too happy at the ending of Noein but that's just me. I think many other people would be satisfied, but it's hard to say. It just kind of ended mundanely, perhaps even slightly foolishly, I guess is the best way to put it. Hopefully that's not considered a spoiler.
eyesopen0791 wrote:
If I watch my copy on DVD, I won't feel like watching on TV and I want to do my part on supporting the ratings.

One of the reasons I like Noein is because I've always wished to be a physicist/scientist but failed because I only got average grades in those types of classes.
Do you have one of those devices that lets the TV stations know what you are watching, or something? I was under the (possibly false) impression that what most people watch does NOT affect the ratings in any way. Only certain select viewers who possess a certain extra equipment (that sends info back to the TV station regarding what you choose to watch) determine the ratings. The total "people watching" figures are extrapolated from that, but in reality most people watching TV aren't affecting the ratings directly.

These days, in the new digital broadcast and VOD age, things might be slightly different, but I still think that a similar situation holds.

Also, regarding Noein's emphasis on "quantum physics", I must say that as someone who possesses a degree in this field, I can't say that I'm all that impressed by the way they handle it. I think many physicists would say that most or all of their scientific babble is completely inaccurate (fueled by common misconceptions in this field of study, that are unfortunately sometimes "taught" in introductory level quantum physics classes). I don't hold that completely against Noein though, it's unrealistic to expect a fictional anime to accurately depict real science. However, the fact that Noein constantly preaches and re-preaches, and harps on certain quantum physical myths (importance of "observer" and all that crap), is a bit bothersome to me at times. If they didn't do it so often I'd probably be okay with it, but they keep emphasizing such arguably untrue aspects with such conviction that it gets annoying.

I'm not an actual physicist or university professor though, so my opinion and views are not guaranteed to be correct.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1