• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AMVs on YouTube for Deletion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
all AMVs on YouTube will be deleted

Googling that -- I see nothing but blogs and various Internet discussion. Yet to see any kind of official statement on that matter. However, in light of anime Internet video material and the issue of copyright -- it can't be far from actuality.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well I've noticed it happening.. so it must be true.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
They are allowed to do this but it'd be a mistake and I have to think they know it. I'm betting based on the limited sources this is someone's "clever" attempt to create a story where one does not exist. Perhaps they are trying to force the issue for some reason? I am not sure. But I don't see any kind of backed-up source that has ties to youtube or google.

It's also odd that the only sources have the same wording and pattern, making it seem like an act of a single person.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
It's also odd that the only sources have the same wording and pattern, making it seem like an act of a single person.

True. By nature of the Internet, it is that easy to spread a rumor and watch it grow like wildfire. (See San Diego) Twisted Evil But if I'm a betting man, this may very well be true within the next week or so.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm not seeing a credible source on this, and I'm not counting Wiki either. If you look at any anime episode or related video clip on YouTube, there's always some dumbass copying some message like "Youtube automatically deletes all anime at 10:00 every night, stand up and protect anime!" And I don't know how YouTube will defeat all the various workarounds that people will surely use to post AMVs after this alleged cutoff date. But you know, if it is true, I say "good riddance." Most AMVs look like crap on YouTube, especially AMVs made with fansub or TV-raw footage. Plus it allows any random person to upload AMVs without the consent or knowledge of the AMV creator. (Yes, AMV creators don't have copyrights to their AMVs, but it's still uncool.) I can only see the purging of videos from YouTube as a good thing for The Org, since it means more people will be getting high-quality downloaded AMVs instead of LQ streaming versions. Of course, there are other video streaming sites, and "The Man" might go after The Org as well, but we'll have to see how this all plays out.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm a big advocate of wikipedia in general, but yeah on this kind of thing the editing feature of it is something that is easily used to promote someones "joke." That's why while I think there is a lot of useful or interesting information there, you certainly don't want to go around making solid opinions or getting all worried because of recent edits there.

At the very least it's nice that the "citation needed" tag was already added to that particular update on the site.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
Well I wish them luck with that for every one they delete three pop up in it's place. Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
I kinda doubt it since AMVs tend to fall under the same category as fanart and the like. Seeing some clips from a show doesn't really hurt business, so I don't think that Anime companies are coming after AMVs.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
Good riddance I saw. Most are uninspired works of crap who's creators should be lobotomized to prevent them from doing this sorta stuff again.

I'll admit their are a few good ones, but most seem to be just whatever was in the Hot Topic Music bin, slap on some random scences from Naruto or whatever, and call it a day. I'm sorry, thats not an AMV, THATS BEING LAZY!!!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quote
I'm all for protecting the artists rights and am against the free distribution of anime, including on YouTube. However AMV's are pretty harmless; they don't allow people to watch a show for free and they don't replace the actual product. They're just a fan showing their love for a series by tossing some mixed scenes around to music, not a big deal.

Of course .... I'd say 9 out of 10 of these videos sucks and while they are technically illegal I see no reason for them to be removed. It all comes down the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law. The law says its illegal but the law is in place to protect the rights of the artists to earn for their work; AMV's are pretty much a non-factor in that regard for both the anime studio and the musicians.

With all that said though I don't think they'll remove them. If they get reported they'll probably take one down or if the musician or studio makes a stink they'll pull it but it'll just reappear again later. It's like the SNL skit "Lazy Sunday" which was big on there for awhile and then was removed entirely by YouTube as NBC requested it to be. Look on there again now though and it's back in force. They shouldn't be to worried, YouTube quality is so crappy it's not going to be a replacement for the real deal anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'm all for protecting the artists rights and am against the free distribution of anime, including on YouTube. However AMV's are pretty harmless; they don't allow people to watch a show for free and they don't replace the actual product. They're just a fan showing their love for a series by tossing some mixed scenes around to music, not a big deal.

Of course .... I'd say 9 out of 10 of these videos sucks and while they are technically illegal I see no reason for them to be removed. It all comes down the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law. The law says its illegal but the law is in place to protect the rights of the artists to earn for their work; AMV's are pretty much a non-factor in that regard for both the anime studio and the musicians.

Just because somethind does no actual damage doesn't mean they don't do perceived damage. I think we got into this a little before. At times corporate executives or other people with decision making power believe that because something isn't explicitly authorized by their corp with written consent (even though it never would give authorization if it were asked) that it somehow damages their product, its name, or their company. This is a sort of self-created reality because it can and does exist but only because it is believed in. Sort of like the old self-fufilling prophecy in that believing you'll fail makes you sabotage your own efforts.

Quote:
With all that said though I don't think they'll remove them. If they get reported they'll probably take one down or if the musician or studio makes a stink they'll pull it but it'll just reappear again later. It's like the SNL skit "Lazy Sunday" which was big on there for awhile and then was removed entirely by YouTube as NBC requested it to be. Look on there again now though and it's back in force. They shouldn't be to worried, YouTube quality is so crappy it's not going to be a replacement for the real deal anyways.

Google recently did add a service to youtube that copyright holders could use to submit their licensed content to. Supposedly it's able to search videos even with differences and remove them automatically or prevent upload. The only issue being that copyright holders would basically have to submit the entirity of footage for every show or movie they wanted filtered out to google to be added to this auto-database for removing copyrighted material.

Depending on how attitudes go, it may or may not be used.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CommunistHamster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:19 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Good riddance I saw. Most are uninspired works of crap who's creators should be lobotomized to prevent them from doing this sorta stuff again.

I'll admit their are a few good ones, but most seem to be just whatever was in the Hot Topic Music bin, slap on some random scences from Naruto or whatever, and call it a day. I'm sorry, thats not an AMV, THATS BEING LAZY!!!

If we're getting rid of AMVs from youtube on the grounds of their crappiness, then 99% of youtube has just died.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

I agree to a point. I find AMVs (along with any shows and commercially produced videos) pretty much unwatchable. A good AMV should be watched under the best conditions possible (ideally a big screen with big speaker IMO), not super compressed and pixilated into a Flash video. I do think the reason why so many YouTube AMVs are so horrible is because they know the end results are going to look crappy anyway so why try? YouTube is good for family videos and dumb teens, but a horrible place to watch good AMVs.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
It's impossible for Youtube to completely filter anime or any copyrighted material out of it's site. They can take a good chunk out, but because uploading is automated, all filtering has to be done after the videos are viewable by others (although, they have done a really clean job of getting rid of all the Family Guy clips Sad ).

I've already seen a decrease in full anime episodes on YouTube. YouTube wasn't meant for that sort of thing anyway. But if you look hard enough, a few episodes from offbeat shows have slipped from the wrath of deletion.

As for AMVs - that's a crying shame, but the same idea goes for them. Granted most AMVs are pieces of crap, but the few out there created by talented people with a lot of effort will be missed if they do get deleted. I have a feeling if the majority of AMVs get deleted in one big chunk, everyone will probably move to a smaller streaming-video site that's still under the radar.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Is this purely the use of anime? I would think that youtube would be more worried about the use of copywritten music, because generally an AMV will have the whole song right? Kinda a form of music piracy, albeit not the highest quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3