• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Let the Anime Fans Pick

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickjeromana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
With all the talk about the American Anime Market surviving, I was wondering how the American markets choose their picks in the first place... do they randomly think 'oh, that'll be a good one', or 'that seems a lot like this other one we did...' I think that for as many anime series released in the United States, there is little focus on quality of the series vs. number of series released. Hands down I think that anyone who looks at the success of the current and past Anime Licensing Companies it's more than evident anime fans pick and choose their interests. I look on the shelf of anime that have been released just in the last year and I probably go through a huge stack and shiver at the idea of half if not most of them. Then there's that small selection that grabs my interest. Sadly, my favorite titles (while it was around) was translated, dubbed, and released by Geneon/Pioneer. ADV produced my second favorite titles, and I have pieces here and there from the other companies. Surprisingly, the last company I have favors from is FUNimation. In my opinion they've done the worst job of picking and choosing how something is translated and who gets to voice it. Certain actresses need to take a rest.... anyways, I quite enjoy the voice tallents of Crispin Freeman, Gregory Ares, and Mona Marshall. Anyways, back to the point. Out of the stack of crappy anime they could've left over in Japan, they could've, especially when they started to see a rapid decline in sales, looked to the anime fans to pick and choose out of the lists or titles that they're either thinking about licensing, or simply ask fansubbers their opinions on series that should be licensed.

Anime I'd like to see Licensed and Dubbed:
---#1) LAMUNE (aka Ramune) 12 episode series
---#2) Demonbane
---#3) Shining Tears X Wind

Anime that have been licensed that I'm waiting for release of:
Romeo X Juliet--- Tybal (Crispin Freeman PLEASE!)
Negima!?--- (As long as it's translated and dubbed properly this time)
x-tengentoppa-x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
i'd really like to the dub of tengen toppa gurren lagann just for the epic lulz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
x-tengentoppa-x wrote:

july 28 11:00 pm

Sci-fi channel
Maryohki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
This is a good idea, except that so many so-called fans WHINE and COMPLAIN when their favorite title gets licensed since they can't watch it for free online as easily anymore, so I don't know how much help they'd be.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
They usually pick shows keeping in mind what is popular with fansub watchers already, so in a sense they already are. Although, I will admit some of the titles licensed in the last year or so have made me go "What the hell were they thinking?".

There is also a problem with asking fansubbers on their opinion on what should be licensed. Titles that are popular with fansubs are not always popular with the mainstream audience.

x-tengentoppa-x wrote:

You're going to be disappointed then. While I mostly prefer subs, laughably bad dubs are pretty rare nowadays.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Hm, there's a few series that I'd love to see licensed, but if one hasn't by now, it probably won't ever, and another is a little heard of series. They are: Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora and Dennō Coil, respectively. I think Hanbun's a great romance story (probably not the best, but I love it) and I found Dennō Coil to keep me hooked beginning to end. It had comedy, drama, mystery, and most importantly, heart.

Mind you, those two are off the top of my head. Might be more, but I'd have to check to see if some are licensed already.

Edit:
Comedy, Pale Cocoon, and They Are My Noble Masters (you have no idea how much I hate admitting that), are other ones I would like to be licensed. Admittedly I probably wouldn't pay for than $1-2 for either Comedy or Pale Cocoon despite my love for them (one's 10, the other's 23 minutes), but if there was a collection of other shorts that caught my eye that at least totaled a full blown movie, I'd be willing to shell out normal pay. And if I can call upon some resurrections...When They Cry. Who doesn't love crazy moe characters?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime I'd like to see Licensed and Dubbed:
---#1) LAMUNE (aka Ramune) 12 episode series
---#2) Demonbane
---#3) Shining Tears X Wind

Romeo X Juliet--- Tybal (Crispin Freeman PLEASE!)
Negima!?--- (As long as it's translated and dubbed properly this time)
Negima! was improperly translated and dubbed? What? If anything, the changes they made to the dub only made the show funnier and more interesting, and there was nothing wrong with the subtitle translation, aside from some typical Funimation onscreen text omissions. As for Romeo x Juliet, it's unlikely that they'll cast Crispin Freeman because he's in L.A. and RxJ is being dubbed by Funimation in Texas. Not impossible (see Johnny Young Bosch in BECK), but unlikely.

Why do you want to see those three series licensed and dubbed? According to the voices of the fans that I've heard, Demonbane and STxW are both low-quality series with poor animation, sterotypical characters, and bad stories. And Lamune...well, it's a very sweet and charming series, but it wouldn't do well in sales over here. I liked it, but like To Heart, it's too slow-paced and "ordinary" to catch most people's interest. Unlike To Heart, it doesn't have a "classic" status in the fandom -- it's just another drama/romance series based on a visual novel that nobody here knows about, and it doesn't have the supernatural drama of shows like Shuffle! and the Key/KyoAni adaptations. It doesn't even have the raw soap opera power of Rumbling Hearts.

So just because some fans profess their like for certain titles, it doesn't mean that they're good business prospects. Guyver had next to no Internet buzz, but it still did pretty well in sales, breaking into the icv2 top 10 anime list at one point. Everyone was singing the praises of Hajime no Ippo / Fighting Spirit, but its sales were so bad that some consider it "the series that Geneon killed itself to release." Companies have to consider many different factors when deciding what to release. Although fan opinions are a part of that puzzle, they're only one component, and that's how it should be. Other considerations include genre, general quality of story and animation, popularity in Japan, success of other shows by the same studio and/or creative staff, marketability to casual fans and retailers [Best Buy's "we won't carry any more anime with 'Princess' in the title" comes to mind], potential costs of licensing/dubbing, and probably some other stuff that we don't know about.
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Ouran High School Host Club, was recently licensed by FUNimation. Not my first choice for dubbing but they recently did a decent job on Beck so my hopes are still high.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
Hm, there's a few series that I'd love to see licensed, but if one hasn't by now, it probably won't ever, and another is a little heard of series. They are: Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora and Dennō Coil, respectively. I think Hanbun's a great romance story (probably not the best, but I love it) and I found Dennō Coil to keep me hooked beginning to end. It had comedy, drama, mystery, and most importantly, heart.

Yeah, I just started watching Dennou Coil and would love to see a stateside release of that. I was actually thinking yesterday that it should be a shoo-in for importing... but, I could definitely be wrong as I'm rather new to this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:

It's wayyy too early to write ofd Dennou Coil's chances to get licensed. The series only ended six months ago, and gaps of a year or more between airing and licensing aren't that unusual even nowadays. Besides, it's a generally well-regarded series from what I hear (one prominent online anime expert considered it one of 2007's best series), and that speaks well in its favor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sj21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Tsubasa RESEVoir Chronicles: tokyo revelations liscened and dubbed. That is the best OAV(series) i have ever seen.
musk.stick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
While it’s a good idea, I think letting anime fans pick would only lead to problems. What some fans might suggest, others won’t like, and so may turn away from purchasing anime and watch it for free online *shrugs* Just a possible outcome, I guess.

Alestal wrote:
Anime that have been licensed that I'm waiting for release of Ouran High School Host Club, was recently licensed by FUNimation.

Seconded.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'd like the see the most impossible release happen: Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Though it never will be, the problems of its age are against it since apparently old series just don't sell well at all. A dub could ever work, but it would just be way too expensive, and I'm sure the licensing costs would be rather high too, due to how big it is in Japan.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see probably a few things, perhaps a second season of Lucky Star, the next episode of Hellsing Ultimate with the dub from the Geneon releases intact, and maybe peace and tranquility between anime fans and the rest of the country, which may be far, far away.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:31 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:

Ouran High School Host Club, was recently licensed by FUNimation. Not my first choice for dubbing but they recently did a decent job on Beck so my hopes are still high.

I wouldn't call almost a year ago "recently". FUNi has made me EXTREMELY angry with their inability to so much as announce a release date and/or cast until almost a year after the license was announced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2