• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte: Is It too Gory? Does It Deserve the OT Rating?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
driverstart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
They arrive in silence and darkness. They descend from the skies. They have a hunger for human flesh. They are everywhere. They are parasites, alien creatures who must invade–and take control of–a human host to survive. And once they have infected their victims, they can assume any deadly form they choose: monsters with giant teeth, winged demons, creatures with blades for hands. But most have chosen to conceal their lethal purpose behind ordinary human faces. So no one knows their secret–except an ordinary high school student. Shin is battling for control of his own body against an alien parasite, but can he find a way to warn humanity of the horrors to come?

Now that is basically Parasyte. Now I looked it over and found it very deep and engaging. The art is very nice and the story is very good as well. I found be a fan of this series if it wasn't for its deadly art. It's art which makes it great for me, is a double edge sword as well.

The blood and gore is so realistic, I nearly threw up. Nothing before that has ever made me sick and make my stomach turn. I saw a lion eat people and rip them apart and then I saw a monster chop a person up into slices. The blood and guts spilling out were... urgh.... and then off course, there was the part that did me in. One of the villians in the first novel hung out human skin still bloody out on a closeline inside out. I had to stop reading at that point.

Now besides that, this story also has some be swearing in it as well that seems to be more of M rated material as well. This story is extremely good, but is not for the faint heart. This story is rated OT, but I have doubts in their rating and believe this story should be more carefully looked over and given the M rating. But still, it is for a sure a good story and if you can stomach the material, you'll find one of the best mangas of all time!
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes there's a lot of over the top graphic violence in this series but that's the whole appeal to the title. Without it, you would not know how violent and vicious these killing are.
vocab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Hows it compare to MPD Psycho. Not story wise, but WTF moments wise?
Monumension

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't have them with me now, but I am almost certain these books - or maybe just some of them - were rated M back when they were released by Minxx. I don't recall many scenes with sex/nudity in the series, something that probably would contribute to a lower age-rating [*resists urge to bring up the endless "sex vs. violence" debate*]. I think an M-rating is most appropriate though. This is far away from Ken Akamatsu (Love hina and Negima are both rated OT+).

Good series btw.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1