• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just a Fad? Your thoughts

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanirose

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I read in an article that anime/manga is just a fad. The article went something like this:

Quote:
Anime is targeted at teenagers. Once teenagers reach the age of 16-17, then the anime trend starts to die.

These are not my words, but from a newspaper. I was wondering whether or not most people agree with this. Just from belonging to this site, I know that there are a lot of people who are over the age of 16-17 and are still anime/manga fans. But generally, do you think that this is a true statement?

Personally, I wouldn't know. I think everybody goes through periods of time where they aren't as excited about anime/manga (because you get tired of waiting for a book or movie to come out). Still, I think most people would continue being a fan.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
wanirose wrote:
Just from belonging to this site, I know that there are a lot of people who are over the age of 16-17 and are still anime/manga fans.

Both are true, because people who frequent this website are fans, not merely watchers/readers. Average watchers/readers decrease their time and money on this sort of entertainment starting from late teen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Moobkrad

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Is a valid point of view. But as every opinion or statistic, it doesn't apply to everyone. The anime club I frequent has people from 20-46 yos. I'm 27 myself.
redangel77

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like a stupid article. I could write something and say anything is a fad. Eventually times will change and something else will replace the current hobby, material goods, ect ect... just the way of life.
Truered

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I had no interest in anime following the pokemon fad (about 12) to somewhere around 16 years old. Approaching 17 3/4 I got a deep interest, and now 18 I spend a large amount on manga and anime. So not true for me. Doesn't everybody eventually lose interest in most hobby related activities (and for some even relationships Confused )

Anyway I thought all anime fans were supposed to be thirty year old bespectacled virgins? Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I certainly don't fit the decription of that article clipping. I'm 2? and I didn't even get seriously into anime until I was 19.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I really hate blanket statements, though they're hard to avoid sometimes. Sounds like the article guy enjoys blankets D=. I think it's silly to call anime in general a fad, because "anime" covers so many different things. Saying "Naruto is a fad" makes a lot more sense.
Supersonic Master

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It would be more valid if they concluded how they gathered that result. Either way, it depends on the person. Anime, after all, is a huge part of Japanese culture, I believe.
Ayhoser

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I could see them saying that anime is aimed at teenagers but it's been around too long to be considered a fad. Remeber when hip hop and rap were fads? What was that, like 25 years ago?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime is targeted at teenagers. Once teenagers reach the age of 16-17, then the anime trend starts to die.

he's sorta right, although there are alot of older fans, many fans probly do grow out of it as they get older. That aside, I dont agree with his definition of "fad".

Just becuase people grow out of something hardly makes it a fad. a fad is something that everybody gets into but only for a while and then most people (including people in the appropriate age group) lose interest and move on to some other fad.

Come to think of it though, he never actually calls it a fad in the quote. Its just the OP who does that. Id like to read the whole article before I make a judgement but It kinda seems like he's just saying Anime is mainly targeted at teens and as they get older they grow out of it. Thats a bit of a blanket statement, but statistically its probably true.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
May I ask what newspaper you got that from?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I would call BS on that, considering I'm 24 and still watching and have come across several titles that were most definitely not aimed at teenagers. That's like saying movies are just a fad and nobody watches them after *insert random age* it's just ignorant. It's only a fad if you're just watching it because you think it's "in", in which case I detest shallow people like that who are controled by the lemming philosophy. I watch it because it's a huge medium with tons of genres full of interesting stories and characters, and I like a lot (but certainly not all) of them. There's plenty of crap out there too.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed May 30, 2007 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Big Bang

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The article you read is a joke and that you should not pay attenion to. If anime dies out when you turn 16 or 17 than can someone explained to me why there are so many adult titles that are on the market now.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
That's an amazing article, I'm 18 and haven't lost interest in it yet, I started in the third grade. Don't intend to stop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
indrik

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I think I would have to see that statement in context to have any idea of its validity. It could be completely reasonable, or a blatant mischaracterization.

But I bet the percentage of people who watch anime peaks around 16 or 17, regardless of the terminology used to describe it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4