• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re: Nudity in Elfen Lied

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
All the arguments that you raise (melodrama, shallowness, formulaic storyline) are characteristic of anime in general (with very few exceptions). This is television, for heaven's sake. What did you expect, Citizen Kane?

I didn't really have any expectations going in, aside from what had been stated by other anime fans (it's a tear-jerker, incredibly deep, what have you).

I don't particularly care about the title, just like I don't with Code Geass, Death Note, etc. I just disagree with the occasionally zealous fandom, and thought to have a discussion/argument/debate/whatever you care to call it about the show. That's the strict difference.

Quote:
Frankly, I think you're taking the matter far too personally -- from the tenor of your posts, it would seem that you feel personally affronted by the concept that an anime could possibly be melodramatic.

Not sure what in my recent posts would make you think this, or compell your exaggerated remark. The only time I've felt offended -- if you could even call it that -- is your suggestion that I'm uptight about seeing the human body. (The "too personal" remark is arguably appropriate for some of the fans in this thread -- which is a given for whenever someone defends something they have a strong attachment for, even something as silly as a Japanese cartoon -- though that's not to diminish their arguments.)

That Elfen Lied is melodramatic -- like much of fiction is -- is not something "shocking" or "offensive" to me. I just don't see the substance that its fans claim it has.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
The only time I've felt offended -- if you could even call it that -- is your suggestion that I'm uptight about seeing the human body.

Given that you had not posted in this thread since it went dormant back in May of this year, I fail to see how you could possibly have felt that my remark was aimed at you. It should be obvious that it referred to the recent spate of posts, and to the overall theme of the thread. But, since you seem hellbent on taking it personally, don't let me stop you. By all means, feel insulted. There's a lot of that sort of thinking going around, why should you be any different?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, I assume that these statements are aimed at myself, as well as those who think of the nudity in Elfen Lied as fanservice?

Considering this, you easily could have clarified that you meant otherwise. But as you did not up until now, I was left my only my cautious assumption because I felt you were addressing the thread as a whole.

No need for miscommunication to result in your last remark.
Sora/Sanctuary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
I think the thing u have to remember is that this is an anime which means it came from Japan where the views about the human body aren't see as such a bad thing. and from my perspective there is plenty of symbolism because the charactures nudity is only partally revealed. the top is the only thing that is drawn in detail the rest has none which gives the idea that the charactures are being portraded as dolls, dolls that are being used for someone elses sick and twisted game.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Sora/Sanctuary wrote:
I think the thing u have to remember is that this is an anime which means it came from Japan where the views about the human body aren't see as such a bad thing.

I'm not sure how you can see modern Japan as being sexually liberated, so to speak. Sexuality's relation to a given culture is a lot more complicated than that.

Quote:
and from my perspective there is plenty of symbolism because the charactures nudity is only partally revealed. the top is the only thing that is drawn in detail the rest has none which gives the idea that the charactures are being portraded as dolls, dolls that are being used for someone elses sick and twisted game.

Except they cannot legally show genitalia in Japan; shots of the chest and rear are fine, however (as is shown in the series).
anime advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Sora/Sanctuary wrote:
I think the thing u have to remember is that this is an anime which means it came from Japan where the views about the human body aren't see as such a bad thing. and from my perspective there is plenty of symbolism because the charactures nudity is only partally revealed. the top is the only thing that is drawn in detail the rest has none which gives the idea that the charactures are being portraded as dolls, dolls that are being used for someone elses sick and twisted game.

I think that many animes use this method.

As far as the nudity in Elfen Lied, It is not ment to be taken in any perverted way. If you take it this serously then dont watch Elfen Lied. In my oppinion Elfen Lied is a great serouse, and is clearly up in my top 10 animes of all time. Ever heard the saying "You cant judge a book by its cover". You cant judge anime by its cover, meaning you cant judge Elfen Lied on its first episode. There is not really hardly any nudity after that first episode!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Except they cannot legally show genitalia in Japan; shots of the chest and rear are fine, however (as is shown in the series).

Genitalia is allowed to be animated in an anime, just so long as it isn't being depicted in sexual activity, such as in hentai titles. If used in this way, then such areas need to be blurred as part of article 175 of the Japanese Penal Code. I recall Perfect Blue spoiler[having nude shots of Mima with pubic hair drawn on during her nude photo shoots.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Genitalia is allowed to be animated in an anime, just so long as it isn't being depicted in sexual activity, such as in hentai titles. If used in this way, then such areas need to be blurred as part of article 175 of the Japanese Penal Code. I recall Perfect Blue spoiler[having nude shots of Mima with pubic hair drawn on during her nude photo shoots.]

Hm. spoiler[I don't recall Kon showing anything more than pubic hair, though. Is there any type of distinction made in the law?]

Plus, I don't remember any cases in a non-hentai anime where they, say, show a male character's penis -- either we get a convenient camera angle or else a censored version (usually used for comedic effect). Ditto for any kind of manga that I've encountered for both genders. Perhaps they just treat genitalia the same, regardless of context?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Plus, I don't remember any cases in a non-hentai anime where they, say, show a male character's penis ...

Shin-chan?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Showing a young boy's penis is an exception (meant to be a humorous one?). Early Dragon Ball memories attest to that.

I'm thinking of a teenage or adult.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
The terms are laxed enough where pubic hair can be depicted, but no shots of the actual genitalia are depicted. Older male characters normally have their genitalia censored. But for younger characters like Goku from Dragon Ball, they are left intact.
MahouSekai魔法世界

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied is NOT a Hentai
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
MahouSekai魔法世界 wrote:
Elfen Lied is NOT a Hentai

Where do you see anywhere in this thread where someone is claiming that? That it has a ton of fan service is indisputable, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7