• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re: Nudity in Elfen Lied

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
I do believe Elfen Lied is a serious show and also an emotional one - It portrays the cruelty of humanity effectively, and succeeded (for me, at least) in drawing the viewer into the characters and into feeling empathy and sorrow for their miserable lives. The nudity and violence were utilized effectively, IMO, to portray the horror of the crimes being carried out against the diclonius, and were wholly appropriate.

That said, I would have to strongly disagree with anyone who believes Elfen Lied to be complex or contain many symbolic elements. The show is quite simplistic actually; besides carrying some heavy & powerful themes the plot is very straightforward, the message being delivered is strongly present and easily noticed from a first watch, the themes are easy to comprehend, and I found very little to consider or contemplate besides what was clearly presented to the viewer in a first watch. I don't think it was EL's intent to be any sort of complex or to hold many underlying messages & themes so that the viewer wil go "Wow that's brilliant!!!!!" It appeals more to the heart than the brain, and that was the way it was meant to be.

I can't bring myself to consider EL cheap or corny in any sort of way; however I do understand where that argument is coming from. I believe that if you weren't moved by the show in any sort of way then you will tend to lean toward consider it a poor production (aka lame), and I completely respect that, seeing as how I've often found myself in the same situation (with an unchanging opinion of the show).

lazybastard wrote:
Yet you only see the nudity and violence, and none of the symbolism. That's your problem, not the show's.

Take the time to actually explain this so-called symbolism you're talking about, and then you will have a well-crafted argument. Right now, all you're doing is throwing out "it has symbolism", without explaining how or where the symbolism was inserted in the show whatsoever.

I personally hardly see any symbolism in the series. There are certainly powerful adult themes, yes - but symbolism? I don't think so. The music box perhaps, but even that barely seems to qualify, as what it symbolises is quite apparent from the surface.

psycho 101 wrote:
I'm so sorry us lowly peasants are not as emotionally and intellectually developed as you. Please forgive us for finding a mature meaning in this show. We'll all try harder to think exactly like you from now on. Maybe some people see past the nudity and blood. Perhaps some people simply perceive it differently then you. Why is that such a problem? Maybe the nude aspects of the experiments effect others differently then you.

You tend to always jump to way extremes, and demonize others . I find that quite disrespectful, regardless of whether the person is in the right or the wrong.

If you call that an extreme you need to get out more. Sarcastic sure, but hardly demonizing him or extreme. Since you obviously have a personal issue with me, as you take time to backseat moderate and tell me what I should or should not do in many threads, I suggest you either PM me personally with your issue or a mod.

In the interests of fairness however; Hellkorn, was my response extreme, and do you feel I demonized you or insulted you personally and not simply disagree with your opinions?
Zero89

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:12 am Reply with quote
I'll commend you for actually responding to so many post... it shows that you really care about the issue, and aren't just blowing a bunch of hot air... I'll respect you for that fact alone... Warning: lengthy post ahead. Anime dazed

Quote:
and lastly, you seem to be trapped in the mindset that a show MUST be one dimensional.... There are MANY MANY MANY harem shows that are meant to be "tearjerkers" (kanon, rumbling hearts, shuffle, come to mind...)

Quote:

Again, where did I say that a show cannot handle more than one component?

right here:
Quote:
Throw in a heap of "comedy relief" scenes as well as a whole mess load of standards and you have such a definitive example of clichéd harem romance that's it's embarrassing when one sees so many folks going on about how much of a "tear-jerker" the series is.

Quote:

However, the issue here is that the Elfen Lied anime is not devoid of fanservice, moe, harem, and borderline lolicon elements. The violence is pretty much the same in both versions, and some scenes of fanservice were merely omitted. There is more than enough fanservice present in the anime, even by simply looking at those type of scenes where "the audience is supposed to laugh at Nyuu for playing with breasts." The BESM character designs with the exaggerated eyes and such remain the same. Minus one female character, the "harem gathering" remains the same.
(emphasis added by me)

First of all, looking at the comedic moments to determine that the entire series is not serious, or full of fanservice is just... stupid. A small portion, and I mean small--- the scenes you mention are almost exclusively in the first 3-4 episodes of the show, should not be what determines anything about the show as a WHOLE...

This quote just serves to further my statement.... You say many reasons why you believe the show to be a harem, as if this somehow validates your opinion that the show is "not serious". while ignoring the fact that maybe a show could be a harem AND something else.... like a drama. This does nothing to show that it is or is not 'fanservicy', as I stated earlier... I assure you that the BESM syndrome you describe is also rampant in Kanon, a show you admit is not solely focused on fanservice.

Quote:
When we have camera angles, bath scenes (emphasis on this due to your comments concerning Nyuu learning to take baths), "arousing reactions" by the characters to Nyuu's antics (Kouta's cousin, whose name escapes me, is an example), etc. it diverts the attention away from one of how a human-like being who is ignorant of traditions and rules in society such as wearing clothing to hide one's nakedeness. The whole reasoning by the creators as to why to put them in a position where we have lingering camera angles on their nude bodies comes across as being contrived. It is just that, an excuse to show it.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that the comedy in Elfen Lied is it's weakest point, and that much of what they thought would be "funny", I found to be a bit of a distraction, and was poorly done... But I DO believe that some type of distraction was needed as an emotional break for the viewer. Even with those moments, I couldn't watch more than 4 episodes without taking a break... you can call the show "not mature", that's your opinion, but I for one was simply overloaded with emotion... so much so that I needed a break, and without those few comedic moments, I don't know If I would have had the heart to finish the show.

Quote:
Tell me, what do you think the intended audience is for the Elfen Lied manga? Why would it not be similar for the Elfen Lied anime? Even though there are changes -- that's a given -- the core elements remain intact. To say that the intended audience suddenly changes completely from one to another while bearing in mind that the story is primarily the same is, frankly, ridiculous.

Frankly ridiculous, right, I totally agree with you... don't watch ghost stories... it wasn't meant to be a comedy, and that was merely a transition from japanese to english... heaven forbid that a producer might change the target audienceS for an anime, I mean, I'm sure all manga turned anime are faithful adaptations to their manga counterpart... Don't watch full moon either, I mean it's EXACTLY like it's manga counterpart... somber and morbid... no wait, it's not. Wink

Quote:
Yes, they did. But why not show him naked, or come up with some little boy and have him go about in the nude?

dgreater1 wrote:
Seems you didn't get his question right so I'll ask... what's the difference between a female diclonius and a male diclonius? What does a female diclonius have that male diclonius doesn't have? Why aren't they experimenting with male diclonius? Anyway... it has to be female diclonius because spoiler[they have that thing powerful thing (which Zero89 was talking about)] that male diclonius doesn't have.

If he can figure out what I meant, why can't you?

Quote:
Now did I say that every single anime that the studio has worked on is a hentai? No.

I haven't seen Himawari nor I"s Pure, but I have read some of the manga. Assuming that the OVA adaption didn't change in tone and execution a great deal, there is fanservice in I"s.

While you didn't actually state that, was I supposed to assume that when you mentioned that the company that made the show, primarily specialized in hentai did not imply that by association, Elfen Lied must also be perverted?

Anyway, I HAVE seen I"s Pure in it's entirety, and parts of Himawari, and I can assure you that there is almost no "fanservice" in I"s pure--- at least the way I'm assuming you mean, because all shows have some form of fanservice or another.... They save all that for the Omakes, and leave the show pretty much as a romance story... a damn good one at that. See how this logic doesn't work?

Quote:
Tell me, do you cry when watching Rambo, or any over-the-top Hollywood movie that emphasizes explosions with style over substance? Because that's what Gantz, anime and manga, essentially is (less explosions and more guts, though).

This is your opinion.... I'd actually say that it's a mixture of what you stated, and a show that tried to be serious.... How else do you explain the shows take on the darkness of human nature? You seem to think that a show needs to be either all style, or all storytelling/depth... they don't... And to answer your question, no, I don't, though I don't see how that has anything to do with Elfen Lied seeing as how that show is so much more emotional than either Gantz, or Rambo.

Quote:
Uh, no.

You mentioned Rumblings Hearts. Let's make a comparison here. The whole thing hinges on the fact that for some reason, spoiler[the girl can't realize after waking up that time has passed]. The RahXephon movie also takes a similar route, with spoiler[Ayato somehow not remembering Haruka even after such a short time.] That kind of contrived storytelling bothers me because events happen because the creator forces them to happen, not because they happen naturally with the story.

While I see where you're going with this, it doesn't really pertain to Elfen Lied....
The way the stories are told are just too different.. yes there is a vague similarity, but Rumbling hearts main conflict is not because haruka (I think that was her name) spoiler[can't realize how much time has passed, but because takayuki does not know what to do once she awakens from her coma. He has for all intensive purposes, moved on, but is torn from the guilt he feels for "causing" her to be in the accident... So most of the show is actually about him admitting his true feelings, and getting over his guilt...] cliched, I know, but very different from what you stated.

Rhaxephon's use of that route is only a very minute part of the shows plot, so much so that it's not even worth mentioning, and is explained in the series... --- spoiler[he didn't even really forget haruka, time just flows differently in tokyo than in other places... he doesn't recognize haruka because she is so much older than he expects her to be; he does remember the younger haruka-- she's the young girl you see in the first episode.]

Quote:
Oh, I dunno. You're asking for a way to convey the message of how people raised in inhuman conditions turn into people that are severely scarred and are "beasts"? Without nudity at all? How about showing them being apprehensive of human contact? Of viewing and treating any life around them with little value? Or perhaps you'd like to see how general differences in behavior between the ones who were raised in healthy conditions versus those who weren't?

Want some anime that tackles the theme you mentioned? Black Lagoon, even though it's a mindless shot-'em-up action story, shows how screwed up the people who are at the bottom of the barrel are. The second season starts to really focus on that theme, particularly in the final arc. It's gritty, and while it does have nudity, it never emphasizes it. Texhnolyze does what you're asking for to arguably the most intense degree that any anime has ever done. The city of Lukuss is an absolute living hell and its occupants representing humanity in such an immensely raw form. It has sexuality, for instance, in the first episode, but it's presented in a dry, emotionally detached form. And last but certainly not least one cannot ignore Now and Then, Here and There for being downright unrelenting in its portrayal of children who are brought up, bred to only fight. Key even quotes one important line in his review:

Of the shows you mentioned, I've only seen Black Lagoon; so I'll tell you why I believe Elfen Lied did a better Job at conveying the message, and causing the viewer to empathize with these "monsters". I cried many times in Elfen Lied; not once in Black Lagoon. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy black lagoon, but when you found out about Revy's past, did you sympathize with her when she bloew someone's head off? When she attacked an innocent bystander? I didn't, and yet I found myself wanting the children to die when lucy's dog was killed. I understood why she had no problem killing innocent people, and despite everything she did, I felt sorry for her.

Now this could be attributed to any number of things, (i.e. something else other than the nudity; probably a conglomeration of things), but it DID play a factor. I'm not saying that all the nudity depicted in Elfen Lied was integral to the story, but a lot of it was. Maybe it could have been done differently, but could it have been done better, I don't kow; but why must it not use nudity to convey it's message if it already does a good job with it?

edit: fixed some grammar, and clarified

Last edited by Zero89 on Sat May 19, 2007 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
ishmael

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
I think some people emphasize too much on some aspects of the show. Heck, calling it an harem show is a long stretch, and calling most of the nudity fanservice is discounting the fact that fanservice has to be pleasing to the eye. Now a bloody Nana, not counting her young age, does not register as "pleasing" to me.

But some fans must also accept that some of the nudity IS fanservice in EL. Like when Lucy arrives at Kota's, the bath scene, and even the confrontation between Nana and the other diclonius (Mariko? Not sure) - why were her clothes torn anyway???

Other than that, it adds very effectively to shock value, to the apparent innocence of diclonius. I mean, the scene where Nana dreams she is naked on a cross... to some people, this has to be really shocking! I'm sure some would see it as blasphemy.

I guess some people consider all manner of nudity fanservice, ok, your opinion, but for most of the scenes with a lot of skin, there was also a lot of blood. Quite a turn down, IMO.
Was it necessary? Probably some of it, but not all of it. But I also like the fact that some people seem to consider the nudity in Elfen Lied or in any anime for that matter, more shocking than the violence... Cause I did not see a thread "Violence in Elfen Lied" yet.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
lazybastard wrote:
more accusations

Are you normally irate, or is this a rare occurrence?

dgreater1 wrote:
You think you can symbolize inhuman cruelty without resorting to violence?

Yes, actually. Watch Amazing Grace, a movie about William Wilberfoce's fight to end the slave trade in England. Never once were we shown any whippings, and the cruelty talked about was still nonetheless effective to its audience.

Quote:
You think you can easily symbolize the inhuman discrimination that the Naz* did with the Je*s without resorting to showing violence?

Why are "Nazis" and "Jews" censored?

Anyway, showing the Jews and others that the Nazis took in (gypsies, Communists, the mentally retarded, etc.) by how sickly they are, deprived of any comfort, so many dying, losing any spark of life -- that's all possible without violence.

Quote:
You think you can symbolize how weak women are sexually abuse to the extreme without showing her naked?

Showing her before and after with bruises on her face, arms, legs, whatever? Dialogue involving any injuries she might've received? Her own behavior after being sexually abused? Yes, it can be done.

Quote:
Well, maybe you can but that will lower how much you want to portray the real thing.

To get the point across you don't have to be overwhelming with its content. That's not what I'm getting at here, though. I'm not particularly bothered by gratuitous violence and sexual content in storytelling like some, but I do disagree with people trying to say that "it's all meant for a purpose," and, in your case, "it can't be as effective unless you show the act being committed," which isn't always true.

Quote:
If you don't accept that I don't see it as mindless then that's your problem anymore, not mine

Where exactly have I said that it is unacceptable to me unless you agree with my opinion?

Oh, and frentymon, I appreciate that you're able to understand where I'm coming from and not get all hot and flustered. It's refreshing considering that the Internet is such an easy way for people to vent out emotions such as anger where they don't even really have to face the person they're doing it with. It's even moreso refreshing considering that it was you that I originally replied to.

psycho 101 wrote:
In the interests of fairness however; Hellkorn, was my response extreme, and do you feel I demonized you or insulted you personally and not simply disagree with your opinions?

You came on more strongly than you should've, but I was hardly "insulted" by it. I've encountered worse on the Internet, never mind out in the real world. Plus, I believe that I've had some discussions with you in the past, and I know that you aren't inherently a jackass or whatever. It's cool.

Zero89 wrote:
First of all, looking at the comedic moments to determine that the entire series is not serious, or full of fanservice is just... stupid. A small portion, and I mean small--- the scenes you mention are almost exclusively in the first 3-4 episodes of the show, should not be what determines anything about the show as a WHOLE...

This quote just serves to further my statement.... You say many reasons why you believe the show to be a harem, as if this somehow validates your opinion that the show is "not serious". while ignoring the fact that maybe a show could be a harem AND something else.... like a drama. This does nothing to show that it is or is not 'fanservicy', as I stated earlier...

It's just that I don't see something where you have conventions from a whole variety of genres thrown together in a chaotic fashion to really be all that serious. My viewpoint is somewhat similar to the one in the AoD review thread, specifically Kakugo.

Kakugo wrote:
Chalk me up as another person who always thought Elfen Lied was a satire, and did since about 5 minutes in to the first episode. Really, how can you combine the basic genre trappings of both pointlessly adorable moe and stomach turning guro and still take the whole thing 100% seriously? Every driving force behind the events - shameful childhood secrets, an unassuming young man surrounded by cute girls, a conspiracy obsessed with mankind's extinction and evolution, the redemption of personal sacrifice - basically every event can be attributed to simple and common anime genre stereotypes, most of them which would be obvious to anyone who's seen a good deal of anime.

Nana's introduction - a cute and sweet natured smiling girl giving the audience a breath of adorable fanservice, who just happened to be chained to the wall and covered in her own blood - literally had me holding back laughter when I saw it. Oh well. Most people fail to see the humor of Kakugo no Susume/Apocalypse Zero as well. Maybe you just have to be incredibly jaded to see that humor can be subtle and offensive at the same time?

If you don't share that view but understand where I'm coming from, then that's fine by me, too.

Zero89 wrote:
I assure you that the BESM syndrome you describe is also rampant in Kanon, a show you admit is not solely focused on fanservice.

Ah, but fanservice is not solely restricted to sexuality.

ANN wrote:
Fan service is the act of adding something with no direct relevance to the story or character development into an anime (or manga) for the purpose of pleasing fans.

I would think that cutesy catchphrases would be a type of fanservice. While I don't particularly care for that, it doesn't mean that it's inherently bad. Again, my complaint isn't that there is fanservice in Elfen Lied, but rather that people are claiming that the nudity exists solely for a valid reason, which a number of scenes in the anime prove that to be untrue.

Zero89 wrote:
heaven forbid that a producer might change the target audienceS for an anime...

The violence remained pretty much intact from the manga to anime adaption. While the sexuality was toned down (thankfully the anime removed the diaper girl and various lesbian-esque scenes, ugh), a lot of the scenes containing fanservice remained. Is it too hard to imagine that the target audience didn't really change all that much, if at all? But again, that doesn't mean someone outside of the demographic can't enjoy it.

Quote:
If he can figure out what I meant, why can't you?

I'm a simpleton. Razz

Quote:
While you didn't actually state that, was I supposed to assume that when you mentioned that the company that made the show, primarily specialized in hentai did not imply that by association, Elfen Lied must also be perverted?

More or less, I suppose. The track record of an animation studio usually is telling of the type of anime that they do. Now, this does not mean that every single thing that a studio does is the same, far from it, but the style of that studio is usually integrated into other works.

Quote:
And to answer your question, no, I don't, though I don't see how that has anything to do with Elfen Lied seeing as how that show is so much more emotional than either Gantz, or Rambo.

It was actually a resposne solely to Gantz, not Elfen Lied

Quote:
The way the stories are told are just too different.. yes there is a vague similarity, but Rumbling hearts main conflict is not because haruka (I think that was her name) spoiler[can't realize how much time has passed, but because takayuki does not know what to do once she awakens from her coma. He has for all intensive purposes, moved on, but is torn from the guilt he feels for "causing" her to be in the accident... So most of the show is actually about him admitting his true feelings, and getting over his guilt...]

The whole thing is still triggered by spoiler[that pink-haired girl not understanding that a lot of time has passed. If she had done so, then the decision would've had to come earlier and it wouldn't have been drawn out until it couldn't be drawn out anymore.]

Quote:
Rhaxephon's use of that route is only a very minute part of the shows plot, so much so that it's not even worth mentioning, and is explained in the series... --- spoiler[he didn't even really forget haruka, time just flows differently in tokyo than in other places... he doesn't recognize haruka because she is so much older than he expects her to be; he does remember the younger haruka-- she's the young girl you see in the first episode.]

The thing is though that the movie changes these details while the series does give a reason for it, as Izibuchi mentioned.

Quote:
Of the shows you mentioned, I've only seen Black Lagoon; so I'll tell you why I believe Elfen Lied did a better Job at conveying the message, and causing the viewer to empathize with these "monsters". I cried many times in Elfen Lied; not once in Black Lagoon. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy black lagoon, but when you found out about Revy's past, did you sympathize with her when she bloew someone's head off? When she attacked an innocent bystander? I didn't, and yet I found myself wanting the children to die when lucy's dog was killed. I understood why she had no problem killing innocent people, and despite everything she did, I felt sorry for her.

Getting me to get all emotional in fiction is hard enough to begin with. I didn't do either with Elfen Lied or Black Lagoon. I felt that BL managed to do it more effectively because it didn't have to blatantly toy around with audience's feelings.

Of course, it is more effective for you because you were emotionally involved in EL. That's pretty simple to understand.

Edit: Typos suck.

Last edited by HellKorn on Sat May 19, 2007 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
lazybastard

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Take the time to actually explain this so-called symbolism you're talking about, and then you will have a well-crafted argument. Right now, all you're doing is throwing out "it has symbolism", without explaining how or where the symbolism was inserted in the show whatsoever.

I personally hardly see any symbolism in the series. There are certainly powerful adult themes, yes - but symbolism? I don't think so. The music box perhaps, but even that barely seems to qualify, as what it symbolises is quite apparent from the surface.

Like you said, the symbolisms in the show are pretty obvious. Selenta pretty much hit all the nails back in the first page. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out all the main points such as how humans can be more inhuman than the diclonius. Hell, it's not easy to make the audience feel sympathy for a mass murderer.

But your right, I probably should have used "themes" rather than "symbolism". I apologize for the wording.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
I can't say all the nudity in Elfen Lied was symbolism, but neither was it all fanservice. One part that stuck into my mind which actually made me a bit sad was the part where that one diclonius was chained up to a wall and was being pelted with metal balls. The scene (IMO) was trying to show how little they cared about these beings, they didn't even care enough to wash off the blood that covered her body, or at the least throw a rag over her body so she wasn't in the buff. They apparently aren't willing to spend much in the way of taking care of these beings. Any way that is just how I saw it. I think this also is the reason Lucy was naked when she was escaping the facility, it showed that they didn't even want to spend the little bit of extra resources to put cloths on her.

Of course I could be wrong and this show could have been created for all those Guro fans out there. Wink Laughing

Last edited by omar235 on Sat May 19, 2007 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
lazybastard

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Of course I could be wrong and this show could have been created for all those Guru fans out there. Wink Laughing

That would be what the manga is. Laughing
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Of course I could be wrong and this show could have been created for all those Guru fans out there. Wink Laughing

You mean guro fans.

As opposed to "guru fans", who are really into meditation and stuff.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
Man, threads like these really drive me up the wall. Can someone please explain to me why nudity always has to have to have some kind of artistically or morally justified significance in order to be considered valid or acceptable in a work? What ever happened to "people want to see tits"? That's usually what it amounts to, but so few want to acknowledge that, or acknowledge the possibility that there's nothing wrong with that.

Not that I even like Elfen Lied, but come on, do the people who are so prudish on this particular subject even realize that nudity was practically a mainstay in mainstream media, be it Japanese or western, in decades past? Even many serious films, like Day of the Jackal, were littered with gratuitous nudity for no apparent reason. But apparently nudity for the purposes of stylistic appeal seems to be an incomprehensible concept today for the majority. Go figure.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It's a Japanese thing. You have to look at this through their eyes. To them the concept of embarsssment of the exposed human body was a learned thing that only goes back to the 19th. Century and the forced opening of their ports to the outside world, who were at that time staunch evangelical Christians on a mission to "convert the pagans to our enlightenment" Rolling Eyes .

Also this title is a watered down version of the manga that is just another story plot of child abuse, but even though they look and act basically like under aged or teenaged girls, they have given them horns and called them inhuman monsters for retaliating against the institutions and the people involved with said institutions who made them that way, so to justify it's okay to abuse and kill them in anyway they like. Not much different to many other moe, loli hentai themes flooding the Japanese anime and manga market both professional and amateur. Beauty and sadness. It's the basic theme in mostly all of Japanese art in whatever genre or media, sometimes in the most gory and detestable way. Who else can draw a picture of the brutal bloody rape of an 11-year-old virgin girl, or boy in such a beautiful way. As much as your head is screaming painfully "THIS IS SO WRONG!", your eyes can't stop looking. It's a Japanese thing. accept it, or reject it. Wink
DKL

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this has turned into a pretty big mess...

So I guess I'll just toss in my 2 cents for good measure and run away...

While I love Elfen Lied, it doesn't exactly come across as the most competent of film-making.

(much in the same way I love Shakugan no Shana)

Also, I actually consider Elfen Lied as a moe show. But then, I also consider Gunslinger Girl as a moe show, but GG’s film-making comes across as more competent (probably due to the fact that Mamoru Kanbe was like serving under Morio Asaka back in the first half of Cardcaptor Sakura).

But, what I’m saying is… I’m perfectly okay with the fact that my sympathy is being bought with all the plot-devices, but I’m not exactly gonna avert my eyes from what I see as completely obvious…

Okay, bye!

*runs away*
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
You came on more strongly than you should've, but I was hardly "insulted" by it. I've encountered worse on the Internet, never mind out in the real world. Plus, I believe that I've had some discussions with you in the past, and I know that you are inherently a jackass or whatever. It's cool.

Yes, we have on various threads. I want to point something out that I feel most people here on ANN seem to not be able to understand. It seems whenever you criticize someone's opinion, regardless of who you are and who they are, everyone seems to automatically assume you're directly insulting them and are out for "revenge." So in other words, people can't argue and disagree but yet not hate the other person?

As for inherently being a jackass, ::thinks of a good arguement,:: Nope I got nothing. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
As for inherently being a jackass, ::thinks of a good arguement,:: Nope I got nothing. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

That was an error on my part (also corrected the Amazing Grace referral), but hey, whatever works!
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Okay, this has turned into a pretty big mess...

Oh no, this is nothing at all compared to the last large Elfen Lied thread. That one was just angry. And angry, and more angry.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
What this basically comes down to is that it is something we can't ignore, but something that has already been done, so we can't prevent it. There's going to be series like these again and again, that is the nature of the Japanese anime/manga world. They come out with violent semi-porno type series, if they are a big hit, you'll see it over here, and if it's not, then it dies in history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7