• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re: Nudity in Elfen Lied

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riccardo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:10 am Reply with quote
I was honestly too shocked and frankly disgusted by the graphicly over the top violence to be worried about the nudity. I was not entirely prepared for either, though, having been shown the series out of the blue without having heard of it or read the cover before.

I don't really understand animated nudity, or find it arousing anyway (its OK if somebody does, not judging) but I don' think that was the real focus of the scenes in Elfen Lied, it seemed to me they were emphasising this girl ripping guys in half, regrdless of her state of dress or undress.

One of my least favourites, to be honest.
ishmael

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
I loved Elfen Lied, but some nudity was unnecessary. Yet, for the mkst part, I think it added to the shock value. As for symbolism and such, you can interpret it like that if you like, or not, but like many possible interpretation of an element in EL, there is no right or wrong answer. But I think some people come unnecessarily hard on this series because of the nudity.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
While it's certainly possible that some deeper meaning was intended by the way the series used its nudity, at the time I was initially watching it I was fully convinced that most of it was just fan service, and my opinion on that hasn't changed over time.

Let's be honest here: Elfen Lied is a horror series thinly veiled as a semi-harem series. Like all but the most sophisticated horror series, its focus is primarily on visceral reactions, and that the series does very, very well, whether it's the nudity, the graphic content, the cruelty, or (most disturbing to me) the spoiler[strongly implied child molestation involving Mayu]. While it may have been intended, in a very undercurrent sense, to imply deeper meaning, the nudity is primarily there to get a reaction.

In only a couple of places did I feel that the use of nudity was obviously trying to depict more than just ordinary fan service. One was in the scenes showing Nana and the other Diclonius chained up to the wall, bloodied, while their abilities were being tested. In this case the nudity was clearly part of the whole image of abuse and degradation. The same can be said for Mayu's scene - although I really could have done without that one.

For the most part, though, the nudity was just part of the overall visual scheme of the series, which I thought worked extremely well. It, the soundtrack, and the efficient storytelling were plenty enough for me to rate this series highly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I got a reaction here, which is certainly rewarding.

selenta wrote:
Apparently, as we've had this discussion before (or maybe it was a very similar one, now I'm not so sure) in the past. It's all good though.

I think that one just briefly mentioned the nudity in Elfen Lied, and it was more about me just stating that I think it's overrated. That one was only an exchange that last about... two or three posts, I think.

But yeah, whatever makes for an interesting discussion.

Quote:
So... your argument is that because it tries to do too many things, it clearly must not be a serious show?

No, rather that because of the elements that created and developed the show, it wasn't meant to be taken truly seriously. A story can still obviously be some enormous amalgamation of genres and still be serious.

Quote:
Ok, first of all, the company that creates a project should certainly not be used as an indicator of the inherent quality or worth of the show. This company was produced Kite, which many people (myself included) that it has values far beyond being "just a hentai".

People can find value in about any show/movie/book that isn't part of the intentional draw. I haven't seen Kite, so I really can't comment there. However, even if somebody likes something for reasons other than what it was intended for, it still doesn't change what it is.

Quote:
Second, while I can see why you would quote the source material, it really isn't always a good way to look at things. Going by that analogy, Kanon, Air and numerous other titles based off of ren'ai games would be automatically assumed to be hentai series (which they most obviously are not). While it may be based off of the manga, if they don't put everything from the manga into the anime, it's not a completely fair comparison. You have to look at what the anime did put in.

Air (which I do like a good deal, so it's not like I'm completely adverse to moe), Kanon, etc. do have origins in those ren'ai games. Their anime adaptions are devoid of these elements. Thus, even though loli-hentai lovers may get a real thrill out of it, now any other person can enjoy them. I agree wholeheartedly on that.

However, the issue here is that the Elfen Lied anime is not devoid of fanservice, moe, harem, and borderline lolicon elements. The violence is pretty much the same in both versions, and some scenes of fanservice were merely omitted. There is more than enough fanservice present in the anime, even by simply looking at those type of scenes where "the audience is supposed to laugh at Nyuu for playing with breasts." The BESM character designs with the exaggerated eyes and such remain the same. Minus one female character, the "harem gathering" remains the same.

Quote:
Third, I fail to see, on any level, how the attempt to interject humor and/or cliche aspects into the show in any way degrades from what it seems to be intending to do. Just take a look at something like FMA or Kanon (particularly KyoAni's version) for a show that tries to throw in some humor despite an almost oppressively heavy atmosphere at times. Now, I'll certainly admit that it didn't work as well in Elfen Lied, and it did come off as a bit of a confused mess at times, but it that really doesn't mean it wasn't intended to be serious and you're making a very obvious mental jump to reach that conclusion.

As I mention above, I wasn't asserting that comedy ruins any show from attempting to be serious. Yes, some of the questions that it raises can be discussed, however, to honestly believe that Elfen Lied is supposed to be taken in a such a gravely serious manner with cliché after cliché after cliché popping up, along with a meandering direction (as stated in the link to AoD, Elfen Lied doesn't exactly define what it wants to be) is far too much of a stretch.

Quote:
Now onto the issue of dehumanization, since this is obviously the crux of the argument that you fail to see as I do. Obviously, the whole point of the series was for Lucy to be saved mentally after she hit the bottom, mentally.

I do agree there.

Quote:
Imagining what it would have been like to live in a place like that is impossible obviously, as the intended audience would never have been subject to such inhumane, violent, and prolonged treatment. So the show tries to do it as best as it can, by showing various horrific situations and circumstances as often as it can find an excuse to throw them in.

The second sentence here is partly of what I'm getting at, which I'll clarify on later.

Quote:
Just as a kid who has grown up never hearing Japanese will not know Japanese, a baby who grew up not wearing clothes will not understand the reasoning or mindset behind wearing clothes aside from warmth. Here's the thing though, clothes don't mean anything to the Diclonius; so it doesn't matter to them if the clothes placed on them fall off, why should they care? Why don't they care though? Clearly, it is because they grew up in an environment where such things didn't matter. It is not just that they grew up in some bizarre environment where people didn't need clothes, they grew up in the hostile and downright cruel environment of step one.

That would actually be an interesting theme to explore, but EL's feet don't quite fit into those boots.

When we have camera angles, bath scenes (emphasis on this due to your comments concerning Nyuu learning to take baths), "arousing reactions" by the characters to Nyuu's antics (Kouta's cousin, whose name escapes me, is an example), etc. it diverts the attention away from one of how a human-like being who is ignorant of traditions and rules in society such as wearing clothing to hide one's nakedeness. The whole reasoning by the creators as to why to put them in a position where we have lingering camera angles on their nude bodies comes across as being contrived. It is just that, an excuse to show it.

Quote:
This last sentence is ridiculous. MOST anime do this, the question is just how well they do it, and how well it hits you at the time. I've seen things that made me bawl my eyes out the first time I saw them and couldn't bear to sit through them they felt so melodramatic the second, but I've also seen the reverse.

The type of manipulation I refer to is one where the creators construct the characters to make one forcefully feel sympathy for them and/or their situation. It isn't like, say, having the setting of the story take place in a battle during wartime and we see brutal actions taken place. When you have the entire cast as a massive group of stereotypes and plot developments occur because they have to occur, then that's a problem. A sweet, innocent girl turned into a vicious killer because of lack of love, spoiler[her puppy get killed, and the boy she likes apparently being close to his female cousin?] Oh yeah, and she turns into the naive girl practically on the fly that says cute little phrases.

For a clearer argument, see my reply to Zero89.

Quote:
Well, neither are
these people.

Man, the Internet never ceases to amuse me.

Quote:
It's not like there's only one of them (to our communal dismay), just because there's people who share your opinions doesn't mean you're inherently right (or wrong).

Correct! But I had an ulterior motive by linking to the AoD thread, to give further reasoning behind what many might label "elitism and madness."

dgreater1 wrote:
The problem here is that, there are things that is hard to symbolize without violence or nude.

If it's to show how ignorant she is of everyday things that we become accustomed to in society, of course there are other ways. Nudity isn't the the only way to get across to the audience that Lucy was subjected to experiments and doesn't know how to handle herself in society.

Zero89 wrote:
I just have to ask, where did you come up with this?

The thread idea? Or something else? I don't quite understand what you're asking, sorry.

I more or less decided to start the thread just to try to present an interesting discussion, one that neither puts hate on either side's opinions. To cause some people to hopefully take a step back and think, "Wait, is this really the case or not?". If they disagree, I'm fine with that.

However, if someone posts here without having thought of whether the nudity in Elfen Lied is largely gratuitous, by just posting away as an angry fan ready to defend a favorite show of theirs, then they have missed my intentions.

Quote:
Ok... you've named many "reasons" why you think that the show's nudity is there for aesthetic reasons.... problem is, the only reasons you give are that: the source material had a lot of fanservice, the anime studio that created the show primarily dealt with hentai, and that it fits a cliche(?!).... not one of them do I see as a legitimate reason for your assumptions....

Then we'll find out if you can come to understand what I am trying to get at.

Quote:
For one, are we judging Elfen Lied the anime, or it's source matreial? Something that is based off of another does not need to be an EXACT copy of it's predecessor, there is a reason they often call these trasitions between mediums "adaptations" instead of duplicates....

Tell me, what do you think the intended audience is for the Elfen Lied manga? Why would it not be similar for the Elfen Lied anime? Even though there are changes -- that's a given -- the core elements remain intact. To say that the intended audience suddenly changes completely from one to another while bearing in mind that the story is primarily the same is, frankly, ridiculous.

Quote:
Secondly, you just can't accurately say that the product of a certain studio is going to be a certain way... For one, not all staff members are the same, which causes new concepts to be implemented into different shows.... Or two, the results the company strive for could simply change... which would be reflected in their latest shows: Himawari, and I's pure-- both of which are definitely NOT hentai.

Now did I say that every single anime that the studio has worked on is a hentai? No.

I haven't seen Himawari nor I"s Pure, but I have read some of the manga. Assuming that the OVA adaption didn't change in tone and execution a great deal, there is fanservice in I"s.

Quote:
I don't even see how your third statement has any place in this discussion... unless you're just trying to throw in a cheap shot, in an attempt to degrade the show as a whole... There are many shows that CAN fall into cliches, it's how well they do those cliches that counts....

Clichés in set ups can be forgiven, but clichés in execution and development indicate that something is not meant to be taken as seriously as so many fans of Elfen Lied do.

Quote:
and lastly, you seem to be trapped in the mindset that a show MUST be one dimensional.... There are MANY MANY MANY harem shows that are meant to be "tearjerkers" (kanon, rumbling hearts, shuffle, come to mind...)

Again, where did I say that a show cannot handle more than one component? Yes, numerous amounts of works in any medium do this. But the failing I see in EL is that it tries to be so many things at once and becomes a something of a mess.

Quote:
Saying that a show falls in this cliche, or that cliche does nothing to prove that the show is fanservicy or not. It just serves to highlight the genre's tendencies...

Uh, did you just indirectly admit that EL is a parody?

Quote:
Why did they only show women diclonius naked in the show? I'll answer your question with another question. Did they show a man diclonius anywhere in the show? One with vectors, that is....

Yes, they did. But why not show him naked, or come up with some little boy and have him go about in the nude?

Quote:
Please do not compare Elfen Lied with Gantz.... Gantz (the anime) turns pathetic towards the end.... If i remember correctly; because they weren't granted a third season and so had to end the show short... not the case with elfen lied... See the difference? Whose to say that Gantz wasn't at one point going to become a true "tearjerker"? From what I've heard of the manga, it's a chance the anime adaptation was not given...

Tell me, do you cry when watching Rambo, or any over-the-top Hollywood movie that emphasizes explosions with style over substance? Because that's what Gantz, anime and manga, essentially is (less explosions and more guts, though).

Quote:
Are you trying to tell me that a show isn't supposed to manipulate the emotions of it's audience? Why bother watching emotional anime at all if you truly meant that? It's no wonder you don't understand the emotional aspect of Elfen lied.

Uh, no.

You mentioned Rumblings Hearts. Let's make a comparison here. The whole thing hinges on the fact that for some reason, spoiler[the girl can't realize after waking up that time has passed.] The RahXephon movie also takes a similar route, with spoiler[Ayato somehow not remembering Haruka even after such a short time.] That kind of contrived storytelling bothers me because events happen because the creator forces them to happen, not because they happen naturally with the story.

Here is a portion of the interview which I speak of, which is ironically relevant considering that the situation talked about below fits like a glove with EL :

RahXephon: The Motion Picture Booklet wrote:
Oshii We advance the story by making a rule that something is incomprehensible, even though it would be comprehensible with a little rational thought. That's the kind of drama we depict. Over half of it is a world built on words. In other words, it's a "fantasy story," and there is absolutely no need to brandish the word "realism" in situations like that... And being mindful of that, I resettled myself again. Thinking, "That's probably the direction it's going to go in."
But then, it didn't go anywhere from there (laughs).
By anywhere, I mean that when the girls says, "I'm so-and-so," and her identity becomes known, and when the main character confirms it, saying, "You're so-and-so, aren't you?" is when the story is supposed to end. A drama that can exist without that is no drama at all. Conflicts that develop due to the main character being immature can't be called drama. The majority of the drama in Japanese animation is that sort of "unnecessary drama." Drama that materializes because just one things remain unsaid. Or drama that materializes because the main character is immature.
Like Eva is a drama that would end the instant he says, "I'm going to take responsibility!" Everything converges on that point. And how long you can stretch that out for determines how many episodes the series will last.
Izubuchi Oh, I think we might have dragged it out in the series.
Oshii I dislike that sort of things. I dislike it.
Why I dislike stories based on trauma is because the drama ends when the main character is told the true nature of the trauma and he understands it. Because the drama is planned from the beginning to converge on that point, it's not like any of the people have changed or anything. In other words, it's not dialectic.
As a movie, this doesn't work at all. It's an enormously easy way out that works only in Japanese animation, which provides details to feed the audience's appetite.

Oshii's last three paragraphs are the points I'm getting at.

Quote:
Since you seem to think that this could have been done better, and that the nudity was excessive, perhaps you could tell me a better way to convey the same message?

Oh, I dunno. You're asking for a way to convey the message of how people raised in inhuman conditions turn into people that are severely scarred and are "beasts"? Without nudity at all? How about showing them being apprehensive of human contact? Of viewing and treating any life around them with little value? Or perhaps you'd like to see how general differences in behavior between the ones who were raised in healthy conditions versus those who weren't?

Want some anime that tackles the theme you mentioned? Black Lagoon, even though it's a mindless shot-'em-up action story, shows how screwed up the people who are at the bottom of the barrel are. The second season starts to really focus on that theme, particularly in the final arc. It's gritty, and while it does have nudity, it never emphasizes it. Texhnolyze does what you're asking for to arguably the most intense degree that any anime has ever done. The city of Lukuss is an absolute living hell and its occupants representing humanity in such an immensely raw form. It has sexuality, for instance, in the first episode, but it's presented in a dry, emotionally detached form. And last but certainly not least one cannot ignore Now and Then, Here and There for being downright unrelenting in its portrayal of children who are brought up, bred to only fight. Key even quotes one important line in his review:

Theron Martin wrote:
“Wars don't raise children,” the motherly Sis says with devastating simplicity, but how can that speak to a man whose sickly sister was abducted by Hamdo's forces and then abandoned to die in the desert, leaving him to wonder whether she was dead or not by the time the scavengers got to her?

All of that without a gratuitous emphasis on nudity. Is that so hard?

psycho 101 wrote:
RIGHTEOUS FURY

Honestly, I was surprised that it took until the bottom of page one to get a response like that.
lazybastard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
What exactly are you whining about again? EL is hardly the only place you find gratuitous nudity. Even the supposedly "deep" shows got plenty of it: Evangelion's got its blatant fan service. Ghost in the shell (movie) got its topless invisibility. and Texhnolyze got its topless fortune-telling + excessive nude shots of that blond doc.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
lazybastard wrote:
What exactly are you whining about again? EL is hardly the only place you find gratuitous nudity. Even the supposedly "deep" shows got plenty of it: Evangelion's got its blatant fan service. Ghost in the shell (movie) got its topless invisibility. and Texhnolyze got its topless fortune-telling + excessive nude shots of that blond doc.

Hey there, Straw man.

Oh, and whenever did I say that fanservice is non-existant in deep anime*? There's nudity in Paranoia Agent. In Serial Experiments Lain the title character wears a cute bear suit. Yet, for whatever sexual fanservice is present in all of these, is it the main draw for the intended audience of those anime?

*I like Evangelion, but its only depth is to be found in its characters, otherwise it's not exactly what one could rightfully label as being "intelligent."
lazybastard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Hey there, Straw man.

Oh, and whenever did I say that fanservice is non-existant in deep anime*? There's nudity in Paranoia Agent. In Serial Experiments Lain the title character wears a cute bear suit. Yet, for whatever sexual fanservice is present in all of these, is it the main draw for the intended audience of those anime?

Hey there, Whiny boy.

And what exactly makes you think the main draw for EL is is the fan service? Previously posters here already pointed out what they interpret as the symbolisms behind the show. Yet you only see the nudity and violence, and none of the symbolism. That's your problem, not the show's.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
lazybastard wrote:
Hey there, Whiny boy.

Oh-ho, this one is filled with some real spirit!

Quote:
And what exactly makes you think the main draw for EL is is the fan service?

Because its one of the sellings points for its target audience? I mean, geez, I'm not saying something foolish such as people can't enjoy shows for which they don't below to the target audience, but it doesn't change the fact that the whole set up of the show as Key mentioned was to get a reaction out of its audience. If the nudity can't fall in line for solely being there for either "fanservice," "parody," "shock value," whatever then I don't know what can.

Quote:
Previously posters here already pointed out what they interpret as the symbolisms behind the show. Yet you only see the nudity and violence, and none of the symbolism. That's your problem, not the show's.

Yeah, and some guy over the Internet can state that some random hentai title that involves nurses or office ladies is actually symbolizing the sexist views and situations that females are placed in society, particularly in jobs, and struggle to overcome the males that opress. I'd tell him to shut up and fap.
lazybastard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can recall, less than half of the nudity in EL was actually fanservice. The remainder mostly showed how diclonius were degraded and treated as less than human in the lab. Now please don't tell me you actually thought that the image of a naked, bloodied girl chained to a wall was supposed to be arousing?

Quote:
If the nudity can't fall in line for solely being there for either "fanservice," "parody," "shock value," whatever then I don't know what can.

Of course it can. And some, BUT NOT ALL, of violence and nudity in EL falls under that. The only examples that I can think of where the ONLY point was fanservice and shock value would be Gantz, along with the second half of Texhnolyze.

Quote:
Yeah, and some guy over the Internet can state that some random hentai title that involves nurses or office ladies is actually symbolizing the sexist views and situations that females are placed in society, particularly in jobs, and struggle to overcome the males that opress. I'd tell him to shut up and fap.

So you are basically saying that other people's opinions don't matter, only yours.

Last edited by lazybastard on Fri May 18, 2007 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
lazybastard wrote:
As far as I can recall, less than half of the nudity in EL was actually fanservice. The remainder mostly showed how diclonius were degraded and treated as less than human in the lab. Now please don't tell me you actually thought that the image of a naked, bloodied girl chained to a wall was supposed to be arousing?

To some people it probably was, you never know what kind of sick people are out there. I can agree though that what was in the lab wasn't fanservice, they were just guinea pigs. If you were to consider how Nyuu was being pictured, you could call it fanservice. A good segment of it though, in my mind, was not. If it was more comedy based, you could have called more of it fanservice.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
lazybastard wrote:
Now please don't tell me you actually thought that the image of a naked, bloodied girl chained to a wall was supposed to be arousing?

To most, probably not. To a few, probably.

Quote:
Of course it can. And some, BUT NOT ALL, of violence and nudity in EL falls under that. The only examples that I can think of where the ONLY point was fanservice and shock value would be Gantz, along with the second half of Texhnolyze.

Y'know, you could just say that you dislike Texhnolyze spoiler[after Yoshi died] and drop the issue so we wouldn't be squabbling with no resolution in sight. I'd do the same with Elfen Lied if you did since we both aren't gonna budge.

Quote:
So you are basically saying that other people's opinions don't matter, only yours.

How about I'm stating that people can try to interpret something however they want but, like I've said many times before, it won't change what it is. Smut with brains is smut with brains. A hentai is a hentai. A harem is a harem. Elfen Lied has these harem elements. If someone disagrees on me saying that at least the majority of the nudity is there for fanservice, then I'm fine with it. If they like the show, more power to them. But all the same they cannot deny that EL uses so many clichés from so many different genres.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
With the comedy missing Confused
lazybastard

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Y'know, you could just say that you dislike Texhnolyze spoiler[after Yoshi died] and drop the issue so we wouldn't be squabbling with no resolution in sight. I'd do the same with Elfen Lied if you did since we both aren't gonna budge.

What makes you think the two issues are related??? I only mentioned Texhnolyze here since I watched it a week back and it's still fairly fresh on my memory. And did you see me whine endlessly about gratuituous violence and nudity in the Texhnolyze thread?

Quote:
How about I'm stating that people can try to interpret something however they want but, like I've said many times before, it won't change what it is. Smut with brains is smut with brains. A hentai is a hentai. A harem is a harem. Elfen Lied has these harem elements. If someone disagrees on me saying that at least the majority of the nudity is there for fanservice, then I'm fine with it. If they like the show, more power to them. But all the same they cannot deny that EL uses so many clichés from so many different genres.

Sure Elfen Lied got elements of harem, it also got elements of action, horror, romance, and ecchi. Its got deep symbolism regarding human nature, it also got plenty of cliches. SO WHAT? Is there just something about the fact that the creators crafted anime that's enjoyable to a good number of people, by balancing all these various elements, somehow UPSETTING to you? That you have to constantly slander it as smut?
dgreater1

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry, I won't make my post long... I hate reading very long post

HellKorn wrote:

dgreater1 wrote:
The problem here is that, there are things that is hard to symbolize without violence or nude.

If it's to show how ignorant she is of everyday things that we become accustomed to in society, of course there are other ways. Nudity isn't the the only way to get across to the audience that Lucy was subjected to experiments and doesn't know how to handle herself in society.

I'm not pointing about how ignorant or blah blah blah she was, you know. I was just telling you that there are things that it's hard to symbolize without using violence and nude. You think you can symbolize inhuman cruelty without resorting to violence? You think you can easily symbolize the inhuman discrimination that the Naz* did with the Je*s without resorting to showing violence? You think you can symbolize how weak women are sexually abuse to the extreme without showing her naked? Well, maybe you can but that will lower how much you want to portray the real thing. Though I have to agree that portraying it to look like the real thing isn't always good since I myself don't approve of mindless violence and nude. But for EL, I don't really see it as mindless and that's what I think. If you don't accept that I don't see it as mindless then that's your problem anymore, not mine

HellKorn wrote:

Zero89 wrote:
Quote:
Why did they only show women diclonius naked in the show? I'll answer your question with another question. Did they show a man diclonius anywhere in the show? One with vectors, that is....

Yes, they did. But why not show him naked, or come up with some little boy and have him go about in the nude?

Seems you didn't get his question right so I'll ask... what's the difference between a female diclonius and a male diclonius? What does a female diclonius have that male diclonius doesn't have? Why aren't they experimenting with male diclonius? Anyway... it has to be female diclonius because spoiler[they have that thing powerful thing (which Zero89 was talking about)] that male diclonius doesn't have.

HellKorn wrote:
lazybastard wrote:
And what exactly makes you think the main draw for EL is is the fan service?

Because its one of the sellings points for its target audience? I mean, geez, I'm not saying something foolish such as people can't enjoy shows for which they don't below to the target audience, but it doesn't change the fact that the whole set up of the show as Key mentioned was to get a reaction out of its audience. If the nudity can't fall in line for solely being there for either "fanservice," "parody," "shock value," whatever then I don't know what can.

You're making it sound like fan service is one of its selling point, Okay, I'll agree with you if what you see most in Elfen Lied is fan service. But I'm not on your side since I don't see the nudes as fan service. Anyway I don't always see think nude = fan service. Anyway ignore me.

Edit: Something went wrong with my post again Anime hyper
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
I do believe Elfen Lied is a serious show and also an emotional one - It portrays the cruelty of humanity effectively, and succeeded (for me, at least) in drawing the viewer into the characters and into feeling empathy and sorrow for their miserable lives. The nudity and violence were utilized effectively, IMO, to portray the horror of the crimes being carried out against the diclonius, and were wholly appropriate.

That said, I would have to strongly disagree with anyone who believes Elfen Lied to be complex or contain many symbolic elements. The show is quite simplistic actually; besides carrying some heavy & powerful themes the plot is very straightforward, the message being delivered is strongly present and easily noticed from a first watch, the themes are easy to comprehend, and I found very little to consider or contemplate besides what was clearly presented to the viewer in a first watch. I don't think it was EL's intent to be any sort of complex or to hold many underlying messages & themes so that the viewer wil go "Wow that's brilliant!!!!!" It appeals more to the heart than the brain, and that was the way it was meant to be.

I can't bring myself to consider EL cheap or corny in any sort of way; however I do understand where that argument is coming from. I believe that if you weren't moved by the show in any sort of way then you will tend to lean toward consider it a poor production (aka lame), and I completely respect that, seeing as how I've often found myself in the same situation (with an unchanging opinion of the show).

lazybastard wrote:
Yet you only see the nudity and violence, and none of the symbolism. That's your problem, not the show's.

Take the time to actually explain this so-called symbolism you're talking about, and then you will have a well-crafted argument. Right now, all you're doing is throwing out "it has symbolism", without explaining how or where the symbolism was inserted in the show whatsoever.

I personally hardly see any symbolism in the series. There are certainly powerful adult themes, yes - but symbolism? I don't think so. The music box perhaps, but even that barely seems to qualify, as what it symbolises is quite apparent from the surface.

psycho 101 wrote:
I'm so sorry us lowly peasants are not as emotionally and intellectually developed as you. Please forgive us for finding a mature meaning in this show. We'll all try harder to think exactly like you from now on. Maybe some people see past the nudity and blood. Perhaps some people simply perceive it differently then you. Why is that such a problem? Maybe the nude aspects of the experiments effect others differently then you.

You tend to always jump to way extremes, and demonize others . I find that quite disrespectful, regardless of whether the person is in the right or the wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7