• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note anime available for download at Direct2Drive

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Episodes 1 and 2 are up for only $1.99 each!

http://www.direct2drive.com/143/4002/product/Buy-Death-Note-Episode-1-Download

http://www.direct2drive.com/143/4003/product/Buy-Death-Note-Episode-2-Download

I never expected them to be this cheap, and I'm tempted to actually buy, just to see what the anime is like. In the preview clip for episode 2, however, I found the first error in the subtitles:

"That there is someone is passing judgment on them!"

At least get it right, Viz, if you want people to buy it...But this is a very very minor complaint; the release actually seems pretty decent now, considering how much I hate DRM'd media.
Gage

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
People already know this. But, with the subtitles, was there a mistake in the actual speaking?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Urk...When did people know this?

I can't speak for the speaking...But I doubt it.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
For $2 dollars this officially makes Viz a winner. This is exactly what the people want, you offer affordable downloads of your favorite show that have subs. Way to go Viz I applaud your work. Ya just can't go wrong with that price, and I know it's DRM but if you want to check out a show (or if you want to support a show but don't want to spent that much on DVDs) this a great way to do it.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
The format takes a while to get used to; the widescreen picture takes up the upper part of the screen with the lower part mostly dark and displaying the subtitles. But it looks pretty darned good on my flat screen lcd monitor. I'd like to see what it looks like on my tv but unfortunately the file sort of stumped my video card as to what to do with it and it just looks like a blurry mess when I try to move the window to my television. Probably due to encryption for copyright protection.

Even at 1.99 each though, I may not buy another episode until they get near then end, I'd still rather have DVDs and will await those, I just ordered the first episode this way because at the price I'm not losing much just to be able to say I checked it out. And it wasn't as big a headache as I thought going into it. It took all the verifications and certificates on the first try and everything. The only real downfall of course is that it will only play on media player, which I don't despise but I rather use other programs for video playback.

ETA:
Josh7289 wrote:

Oh, dang I'm slow today. I just now got this(check the edit time). HA! Laughing I guess I would've gotten it sooner had I read gage's post.

Last edited by undeadben on Sat May 12, 2007 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
Ok so I've bought the first episode and I am downloading it.....it's a good thing it's only going to take 30 mins to download to my system. Rolling Eyes I don't mind waiting for BT stuff from fansubbers, but from a professional site I'd like to get a little bit faster downloading speed. What's everyone getting in terms of speed? I've been right around 173~175KB/sec. Which average for me for decently seeding torrents, hopefully I can get this thing on my media player.....seeing as how my Computer having sound card issues....Damn Vista.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
I was hitting about 600kbps, but I am downloading some other things at the moment so for all I know it probably could have gone faster if I had opened my whole stream to it. I think I got it in about 5 minutes or so, but I wasn't really looking, I went out, made a sandwich, came back, watched Death Note.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I was hitting about 600kbps, but I am downloading some other things at the moment so for all I know it probably could have gone faster if I had opened my whole stream to it. I think I got it in about 5 minutes or so,

Mine stay in between 173~175 KB for the entire download and took about a half an hour. Although I must say after watching a decent amount of the episode I am enjoying the quality of the episode, for $2 can't go wrong with that. Had this been a BV release would of been around 25 dollars an episode...
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
Looks like the quality is good, especially on my widescreen lcd moniter, but I think I'll save my other $2 for when they officially release it on dvd. I have a feeling some one will bootleg this and sell it. :3
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
How open is the usage for it? Is it only good for the computer it is downloaded to?
Can you burn it to a DVD?
What format is it in?

Just a few questions, but I think I will end up waiting on this as well. 1.99 is really tempting though. What I want to see next is this sort of setup for anime as it is being released, that is, to match the Japanese schedule or follow just a few days behind it.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty heavily DRM'd, I think, but I'm not sure about how many computers can use it. It looks like the episode is always showing the "Download Now" link in the "My Account" page on Direct2Drive, with the Activation Code next to it, but I'm really not sure about the multiple computers thing.

No, you can't burn it to a DVD.

It's in WMV format.

Anyway, I'm downloading the first episode now. It's only $2, so it's not too bad just to see what it's like. My download speed is about in the 220-240 kilobytes per second range.

EDIT: Just finished watching the first episode. Besides the awesome quality of the anime itself, the entire downloading/activating/playing process went off without a hitch. The video is only at 640 x 480 resolution, so it's not really "optimized" for the widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio of the show, but the video was at 3000 kbps, while the WMA 9.1 audio was at 128 kbps. The subtitles were good (in that there were no errors in spelling and grammar), and the mistake I noted in my original post in this thread was fixed in the real first episode (even though the mistake I found was in the preview for the second episode) -- the second "is" was removed.

I'm going to see what the DRM allows more of later today...
Gage

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Urk...When did people know this?

Check out the press release page and look at May 3rd.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, yeah, I knew that, but it wasn't until May 10 (I thought it was yesterday, and that it wasn't announced in the press release) that the episodes were actually available, and not just announced.

If I'm not mistaken, is this the first time a legal download of an anime is available subtitled? Every other release from every other company I've seen has always been dub-only, and although most of them were $2, like Death Note, the dub-only thing killed it for me. Then we have ADV releasing dub-only downloads for $5 each...Crazy.
bReAkDoWn^RT

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
looks good. I'm gonna have to check it out some more :]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1