• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
If Spider-Man was an anime series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Since I was thinking about anime and the Spider-man movie that's going to come out tomorrow I thought to myself:
"Why don't they have a Spider-Man anime?".

Would you watch it if it had it's own anime series?

I think I'll be quite interested the in whole character designs and plot idea. Ofcourse there probably be more blood and action. I can imagine some pedestrians in the anime be like:
"ahhh supaida-hito~! Shocked (Spider-Man in Japanese, I think)"
Also I think that Mary Jane Watson would look a lot better. Wink
The Lolicon Artist

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
You mean, wouldn't it be interesting if the Japanese came out with a Japanese version of Spider-Man. I wouldn't mind watching it but i'm sure the moe in it would be very limited.
NessFreaK

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Its not anime, but Spider-Man the New Animated Serieswas incredible. It aired before inuyasha and gundam seed on YTV a couple years ago and i would always watch it.

its 3d animation style and somewhat more mature situations separated it from the old cartoons...
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
NessFreaK wrote:
Its not anime, but Spider-Man the New Animated Serieswas incredible. It aired before inuyasha and gundam seed on YTV a couple years ago and i would always watch it.

its 3d animation style and somewhat more mature situations separated it from the old cartoons...

Yeh I watched that also, it was alright but it didn't really catch my attention and I didn't like that girl Peter dated with the black hair and nose ring.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Definitely would see it. As is Im tempted to try n see some of the old cartoons, even though theyre intended for kids, theyre actually not bad. I didn't care for the new animated series. It might have been better if it had more of a story. Instead of just random villans. (The villans werent very good either, the classics were better.)
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
If it was made into anime, I'd most likely watch it. I love MArvel comics like The Hulk, X-Men, Spiderman, and Ghost Rider. Also, I think Green Goblin and Hob Goblin would look really cool. They'd be fiend-like humanoids with scary faces similar to the faces on trolls from World of Warcraft.

Also, there was a Japanese version of Spider-Man in Full Metal Panic where he was a wandering hero with a mash who can shoot webs (I remember using him as an avatar, though).

(OT: In the Japanese version of the X-Men cartoon, there were anime-style openings with JApanese songs.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
No.

America has its own unique way of portraying superheroes (ie. Superman, Batman, X-men, etc etc) and Spiderman is one of these superheroes. Taking away that "American element" and "Japanizing" it is just as stupid as taking Bleach, removing the "Japanese element", and "Americanizing" it. Even if it were to be animated in Japanese style, the original comic book and cartoon would still be better unless they can make Spiderman look even more superhero-ish than he already is (which is impossible).
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
You know there's a 70's Japanese live action version of Spider-man, right?

It was QUITE different from the American concept though ... think Ultraman with web-shooting.

(proof)
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

It was QUITE different from the American concept though ... think Ultraman with web-shooting.

(proof)
I was gonna bring that up. Spiderman beating up generic minions and then busting out a giant mech out of nowhere is awesome. Laughing

Like Azathrael said, though, Amerian animation should be separate from anime. American superheroes just give off a different vibe that probably won't fit into anime well.(unless it'sd aimed strictly at kids, anyway)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
No.

America has its own unique way of portraying superheroes (ie. Superman, Batman, X-men, etc etc) and Spiderman is one of these superheroes. Taking away that "American element" and "Japanizing" it is just as stupid as taking Bleach, removing the "Japanese element", and "Americanizing" it. Even if it were to be animated in Japanese style, the original comic book and cartoon would still be better unless they can make Spiderman look even more superhero-ish than he already is (which is impossible).

Now hang on, Just cause youre making a Spiderman Anime doesnt automatically mean youve gotta Japanize it. Perhaps a better way to phrase it is "An animated Spiderman that was aimed at a more mature audience instead of kids"
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
no offense, but i think spiderman is so good already, having an anime would just be redundant
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I like Spider-Man and I love anime, so if there was a Spider-Man anime, I'd like to see it. It could possibly be good... It would be interesting to see what the characters would look like.

I never could get very interested in the old Spider-Man cartoons. I've seen Spider-Man the New Animated Series, and I really liked it, but it was too short. I'd choose the live-action movies over anything though. I can't wait to see Spider-Man 3~

Patachu wrote:

(proof)

Wow, I never knew about that... That clip amuses me. Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
There's a Spiderman manga out there, but I probably would not watch a Spiderman anime, why would I need to when there's TV series, movies, and comics out there that I would have to catch up on, plus trying to watch the anime. Like someone said, American animation in itself is unique, it doesn't need a follow up.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
no offense, but i think spiderman is so good already, having an anime would just be redundant

Yeah you're right. It would be redundant, and I just can't imagine Peter Parker, Mary Jane or any of the characters looking all anime-ish.

This may seem like a minor thing, but I'll say it anyway. The setting of Spiderman is in the USA. It'll be weird to hear them talk in Japanese. Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I've thought about it before. But I'd have to say that I think I agree with the people saying that it should stay American, just like stuff like Naruto and Bleach should stay Japanese. We have our superhero comics and they have their shonen series. Although I'd have to say if I were to see any American superhero comic as a shonen/anime series, it would definitely be X-Men (and yeah, I am aware that there was an X-Men manga series). That one just seems to have more of a shonen/anime feel about it then most other superhero comics do.

I also wouldn't be past wanting to see a holywood live action Naruto, Bleach or DBZ movie though, but I don't know if chances of that are very good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2