• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dairugger XV (#1123)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeithL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
I submitted correct English translated episode titles from the Media Blasters release of Dairugger XV, but the voltron titles still remain under the Dairugger listing. You may want to seperate/remove those.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
Garrrgh! Another pre-millennium (and this one was 1984!) sci-fi toy heavily-edited mess! Mad

Thanks for the info; give me some time and I'll clear it up.

UPDATE: After some background research, I believe it's time to turn the relationship of Voltron / GoLion into something like Robotech / Macross. This requires careful planning so we don't get another messy backfire like the original and the more commonly known Yu-Gi-Oh! (Duel Monsters, in fact). Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
One of these 'before my time' things - I only know of it by name (I think Jonathan Clements mentioned it in one of his articles). I do have a couple of Voltron discs somewhere that I've never watched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
KeithL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
Unlike Robotech fans, Voltron fans tend to be a lot more...chill. Or at the very least, more detatched from any rage. Why? Voltron fans actually get new material. Smile

And unlike Macross, I don't think Dairugger & GoLion have a resident U.S. fanbase, so I doubt there'd be any backlash there. Likely, few would notice or care about seperate listings for Voltron & GoLion/Dairugger XV.

-Keith
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
KeithL wrote:
And unlike Macross, I don't think Dairugger & GoLion have a resident U.S. fanbase, so I doubt there'd be any backlash there. Likely, few would notice or care about seperate listings for Voltron & GoLion/Dairugger XV.

Well, I care. Not because I'm its fan or something (I'm not a fan of any giant robot show), but because if Voltron merely used GoLion's footage yet had had the entire story rewritten, then they should have separate entries.

Now here's the rough plan, suggestions welcomed:
  • Due to the iconic, milestone status of the US broadcast of Voltron: Defender of the Universe, #1452 will be kept as the Americanized version. A new entry for Beast King GoLion will be established, and all broadcast info (in Japan), cast/staff/companies, and sub-only releases by Media Blasters will be moved to the new entry. We'll use a rarely used relationship: "amalgam," to link Voltron and GoLion ("Voltron is an amalgam of GoLion").
  • For Dairugger the situation is just the opposite: few American audiences would recognize it as a standalone title, as most people would simply consider it as part of Voltron. Therefore, #1123 will be kept as the original Japanese Dairugger, HOWEVER I'm not very sure if a new entry for Vehicle Voltron shall be established. As the US broadcast marked Lion Voltron as "season one" and Vehicle Voltron as "season two," having an independent entry for Vehicle Voltron would create a weird situation i.e. eps. 1-52 and 105-124 under Lion Voltron, while eps. 53-104 under Vehicle Voltron. I'd say adding remarks in the episode list would be sufficient.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
That sounds good to me, dormcat.

Man, Amalgam isn't used much, is it. There's, what... Robotech, the US Digimon movie... is there even anything else?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years
Eagle Riders (this one is new to me)

And you mentioned Robotech, but in case you were only aware of the TV series: Untold Story
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Any additional suggestion or even disapproval? KeithL?

If not I'm going to begin the movement. It will take some time before completion, so in the mean time I'll restrict the new GoLion entry as staff-only. Suggestions and/or corrections can be posted in this thread so we can submit it while the contributor will get the credit.
KeithL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Sounds fine to me. I didn't mean to create extra work btw, I just happened to notice the episodes for Dairugger were the Voltron ones, and figured I'd contribute.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Voltron is considered one show. "GoLion" was Season 1, "Dairugger" was season 2, and season 3 was unique to the USA, featuring mostly the GoLion cast, but with Dairugger characters sometimes guest-starring.

So all the English voice actors for both "Lion" and "Vehicle" should go under the "Voltron" entry. Likewise, both the "Lion Voltron" and "Vehicle Voltron" episode titles should all go under Voltron.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I remember stumbling onto this situation a long time ago and I just threw up my hands in disgust. I agree about splitting Golion from Voltron, but do not immediately create a new Golion entry and start redeeming & re-adding stuff wholesale. I can manually move the necessary information from one anime to the other, but I will need to know what to move. It's pretty clear that Japanese credits will go into Golion and English credits will stay with Voltron, but what about other languages? These all need to be split (or not) at the same time. For other info (alt. titles, vintage, etc.) it would be useful to give me the list of "codes" for information that must be moved to Golion. You can get the code by looking at the url of the error report page for any given info. For example the error report page for the alternative title "Hyakujū Ō Golion" is animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/error-report.php?code=AI-1389197468 so the code is AI-1389197468
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I agree about splitting Golion from Voltron, but do not immediately create a new Golion entry and start redeeming & re-adding stuff wholesale.

Seconded, and that was why I wrote "This requires careful planning so we don't get another messy backfire."
(And sorry for having this project waiting in the line for months Embarassed )

Dan42 wrote:
AI-1389197468

I've noticed the error report system has the numbering method overhauled. Am I right?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Am I right?
yes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1