• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue - underestimated ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturday

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Do you think, that Daphne is really underestimated anime ?
It seems to be really kinky or something like that, but in real it's interesting comedy, and i think many times why it's so feebly graded by people.
Yes, i can't liken it to boffos, but it's worth seeing. Rolling Eyes

[No cheap chatroom / text-message abbreviations. See Teh Rules. ~Zalis]
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
I love this series setting and backstory. The general atmosphere and music are also very pleasant, At first I was turned off by the ridiculous outfits and fan service, but the characters slowly grew on me. By the end I found the team, especially Gloria and Yu endearing. There are some really touching moments in this series which don't surface (pun intended) until the end of the series. The true nature of Maiya's past and her relationship with her Grandfather really moved me. My other favorite moment was the spoiler[ Video taped stuff during the birthday party. I like how Maya was friends with that racer girls Grandmother too!]

While not a brilliant series (in my opinion) Da[hne has some heartfelt moments and really shines near it's ending. I most likely would have given up on this series had I collected it as a new release, but bought the entire series (and a bunch of other mediocre titles) during the big TRSI Geneon sale. This series was better than Cybuster, Ikki Tosen and a number of other Geneon titles I bought during that sale.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quote
I have it, also got it in the same sale you did Randall, but I've been debating about watching it. I mean I like fan service but all the previews I've seen the outfits are like body paint, why bother just go naked. I mean that one girl with the black hair and the like 3 pieces the size of my hand on her takes the cake. Plus I've seen a lot of fan service heavy girl power action titles lately (Ikki Tousen [again], Burst Angel, and Najica). Is the story really worth it (should've thought of that before I bought it)? Is the music really good, or does it fall flat? The animation itself looks nice, from what I've seen. Not the best but nice.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I have it, also got it in the same sale you did Randall, but I've been debating about watching it.

You bought something and you might not watch it .... ?!?!
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
I have it, also got it in the same sale you did Randall, but I've been debating about watching it.

I do that all the time. I'll buy something cheap or on a whim and never watch it. Just off the top of my head I still haven't watched Jin-roh, Kiki's Delivery Service, Trouble Chocolate, Project Arms and a bunch of others (including Daphne vol. 2).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
TheVok wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:

I do that all the time. I'll buy something cheap or on a whim and never watch it. Just off the top of my head I still haven't watched Jin-roh, Kiki's Delivery Service, Trouble Chocolate, Project Arms and a bunch of others (including Daphne vol. 2).

Emerje

Bingo. It's called poor impulse control lol. I'm sure I'll eventually watch it, I did pay for it and I do hate wasting my money, damn Enron stocks Evil or Very Mad , it's just whether or not it is front of line or back of line. I mean if I want hot girls and guns I got Black Lagoon, Kiddy Grade season 2, and the new Beetrain series all coming soon. I just haven't felt that urge to push Daphne up to the front of the line.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
I also have a good number of DVDs that I have not watched. I bought the entire Miyu tv series and Ceres back when they were new and never watched them. The Geneon sale was insane for many of us, and I bought 100 DVDs for $400, some of which I've yet to watch. I believe that Zack wondered why people watch the first 20 episodes of a series that gets good (or doesn't) at the end. This is funny since the other option is to not watch a series that I've already bought. Like other impulse buyers I have done both. Daphne is definitely one of those that gets better towards the end, I would say you should put it on your cue psycho 101, especially if you like fan service. I actually liked it better than both Ikki Tousen and Burst Angel.

edit changed mentioned to wondered.

Last edited by Randall Miyashiro on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
10円

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:42 am Reply with quote
I tried to watch Daphne in the Brilliant Blue but I just could not get past the out-dated visuals and the somewhat goofy premise. At least that's what I remember about it.

Emerje wrote:
Just off the top of my head I still haven't watched Jin-roh, Kiki's Delivery Service, Trouble Chocolate, Project Arms and a bunch of others.

Oh, to be able to see Jin-roh, Kiki, and Trouble Chocolate with new eyes! Can we switch places, Emerje? Seriously though, I enjoyed all three of those titles back in the day. I even have a Jin-roh wall scroll hanging up right next to me. I have no knowledge about Project Arms though.
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
It's weird ... I think it's easier to buy DVDs and then not watch them than it is to rent DVDs and then not watch them. Because renting makes something a temporary priority.

So, as most anime I watch is rented, I never have a disc of it in my hands that I'm not about to watch quite soon ....
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I've done that a few times too. Rented a good chunk of Wild Arms without watching it. Same with Green Legend Ran and a couple others. Go figure. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Oh, I've done that a few times too. Rented a good chunk of Wild Arms without watching it. Same with Green Legend Ran and a couple others. Go figure. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje

So do you return them unwatched in time?

Or late?

Or ... not at all? Wink
RainOfSteel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
I cannot get past the main problem.
spoiler[
In espisode one, the main character appears to complete a graduation excersice/test of some sort and does so with confidence and expertise.

In episode two-four (as far as I got), she turns into a bumbling incompetent.

I found this to be simply too incongruant to make it worth taking up my time.

-------------------------------------------------------

It didn't help that there was no explanation for what was going on with the background of the world.

A lot of anime don't get going until episodes 5-8 (or even later!), but I just couldn't watch any more.
]
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Emerje wrote:

Emerje

So do you return them unwatched in time?

Or late?

Or ... not at all? Wink

Well this was before everyone started spewing about no late fees so definitely returned them on time. We're talking about five years ago, I haven't rented anything in years.

Emerje
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Well this was before everyone started spewing about no late fees so definitely returned them on time. We're talking about five years ago, I haven't rented anything in years.

Ah. But when you use a rental service like Netflix or Zip, it's a different scenario; there are no late fees, but you're motivated to return discs as soon as possible, so that you will receive more discs.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
RainOfSteel wrote:
I cannot get past the main problem.

I completely agree with you on in regards to Maiya. Her character in the first episode is so inconsistent from the rest of the series. She is my least favorite character in the series. Gloria and Yu are by far my favorite. My favorite episodes (besides the last few) are Gloria's terminal illness and the abandoned infant episodes.

I like shows that have complex backstories that are slowly hinted at throughout the series. I felt that way when I watched Heat Guy J, and Trinity Blood. It works better for me than a ton of boring exposition in the first episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2