• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A job you'd like in the industry?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
What job would you like to do in the anime industry if you were given the opportunity? Would like to work on the actual production and be a director or animator? Perhaps you'd like to work on the other side and do adaptations for your local market and do dubbing or marketing?

Personally, I'd want to work for the local market. Besides the fact that there's not as much work there work on that side that interests me (dircting: no, animating: no, script writing: no, ect), it seems a lot less stressful to do adaptation because of Japan's lifestyle and the pressure they put on people. Now, what I'd prefer doing is a bit of a toss up.

If I were myself from 2 years ago when I first started watching anime, I would've said dub actor hands down. A hobby of mine is creating voices and learning to sustain them when talking. I walk around my house saying weird things in different voices that range from more real life humans to monster/demons to creatures. I like to tell myself that if could manage to get acting training and move to LA, I could potentially be good voice actor. And when you combine the fact that I am no longer capable of losing my voice thanks to years of playing sports and yelling my head off (cheering), I could find a place in biz thanks to longevity, range, and talent (should I have any).

However, now that I've watched a lot more anime, particularly dubbed, I've noticed that I'm a lot more interested in the scripts rather than the acting. Even in some of the best dubs, the scripts can be wonky because of either poor translation or just not translating at all. Nothing bugs me more than a writer not being creative and ending up affecting the entire rhythm of an actor. Of course, I'm sure a lot of hardcore fans wouldn't like the way I would handle things since I would not hesitate for second changing something for the better of the project, but I think dub fans would appreciate it since I'd try to avoid all those little nuisances (English honorifics). Another problem is that I'd have to work pretty close with Japanese, which I wouldn't want to do. I may be way off base, but I think a number of problems R1 companies have go back to the Japanese having too much control over here. However, even though I'd have to work with Japanese, I think it'd be worth it because I know I'd have a lot fun doing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xellos87

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quality assurance. Cool

I mean, come on, you get to be the guy who yells at people who are slacking off. Not to mention you get to influence almost every part of the production, whether it be animation or the script or the music. (I'm sure they have various people that check the quality of each, but I think I'm driven enough that I could handle a few at a time). You get to make it the best it can possibly be.

Then again, the actual staff probably hates your guts...

I don't think I'd mind marketing either. I'd love to be someone who traveled around and surveyed groups across the nation to see what the current viewing trends were. That could prove to be very interesting, and I'm sure I'd meet a ton of unique individuals across the nation.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
besides creator/director (do actually have a few ideas would like made as well as a chance to avoid some of the more cliche aspects of so many anime)
cell coloring/editing, character detailing, background detailing.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Quality assurance is a pretty thankless job. You have to be nitpicky, the entire staff hates you, your name isn't even credited, and even if you're the one who pushed them to stop slacking off and come out with a badass project, when it gets acclaim, they'll all be like "Oh yeah! We were motivated from the start to get this to be where it is!"

Me personally...as much as some of you will say "That isn't a job in the industry!"...it is. I'd like to be a mangaka. :3

You have pretty much 98% creative control over your story. And when it starts to kick ass and garner attention, you have the anime industry pop up and mooch off your creative cells. If the adaptation ends up awesome, everyone hails the original creator, if it's a hatchet job, then you can be all Miyazaki-like cynical about the current state of the industry, and you'll still be in a pretty sweet position. If anything, word of mouth will direct more people to the original manga. Take Rurouni Kenshin as an example.

Yeah, yeah...being a mangaka is a shit-ton of hard work. But given the sweet spot and creative control you have, there really isn't a better seat.

Now, this is all given that you can tell a cohesive story, and you're a good artist to boot...
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Xellos87 wrote:
Then again, the actual staff probably hates your guts...

Quality control isn't about spotting every flaw and sending it back. It's about spotting which flaws your team is able to fix with the given budget, time, and space, which makes it even harder.
Since it's animation we're talking about, it should also be safe to assume you'd only have as much authority, which means you'd need some convincing skills to get people to change it if they think of it as too little of a flaw to even bother fixing.
Gentry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to be grand master of the whole of anime, then I could make sure every show was released in single volume special editions with lots of extras, bells and whistles that no one will pay for. Then I'd release a budget version for all the tight wads that couldn't be arsed to pay for the god stuff.

I'd wave my magic wand an command that all episodes are uncensored and uncut and in their original form. All discs would be in the highest possible resolution to bring out the best of the animation and all shows take only a minimum of 2 hours between air date and release date.

Each series would lose money and I would be the saviour of the anime kingdom.

THEN END.

Also I'd re-release the endless eight part of Haruhi in single episodes for the fanboys and a one hour cut down version that takes the best parts from each of the eight. It would cost $1 for the entire eight shows and the one hour special just to say sorry.

THEN END.
Hikikomori Safari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I think marketing and distribution would both be interesting and challenging. What you do with a limited budget and how to promote your product in the most effective way.

That, or Boob physics analyst.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad no one here is talking about how much they want to be the "idea guy." That always bugged me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1