• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OAV? OVA? Wha?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victims24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I recently become really... really... addicted to anime. I've watched a number of them in the last 2 months, Death note, Canvas 2, mahoromatic, twelve kingdoms, bleach, naruto (up till they started the fillers), shuffle, suzuka, Higerashi no naku koro ni, elfen lied.. and many man others.

Now heres my stupid question... Most of them have an episode or episodes called either OVA or OAV.. I've seen it both ways, what do they mean? its been bugging me like crazy.....
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
If you look under the Encyclopedia tab at the top of the screen, there's a link to the lexicon. Many terms are explained there.

Here's a direct link to the OVA explanation.

Welcome to the fanbase and hope you enjoy your time here on ANN.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
OVAs are Original Video Animations (or, Original Animated Video if you use OAV). They're basically TV-length episodes (20-40 minutes) that aren't aired on TV, but instead are released straight to video & DVD. OVA series have looser release schedules than TV series (only having to release one episode every month or two instead of every week), and with less money going towards TV-related matters, there's more budget going towards the animation and other actual production matters. So OVAs typically have better animation and writing, and without having to deal with TV standards, can get away with more graphic content if need be (all hentai, for example, are OVAs). OVAs are also a good way to release anime that might not have enough of an audience to work on TV, but are popular enough to make a profit on a smaller scale release (the latest season of Maria-sama ga Miteru, for example), and are also a good way to release anime that might have odd lengths that wouldn't fit a feature film or a typical Japanese 13-episode TV season (TV anime typically having episode counts in multiples of 13: 13, 26, 39, 52, etc..).

In short, OVAs are direct-to-video anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1