• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop: Perfect Sessions vs. Remix.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannyest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
Hi!

I've been thinking(well, rather am about to buy) a Cowboy Bebop-box. The one i'm about to buy is "Cowboy Bebop: The Perfect Sessions" which includes some special material (the soundtrack of the series, biography and gallery of the characters, interviews of seiyus and director and other staff). But on the other hand, I'd like to have the remix-release of it (it has a remastered video quality and 5.1 surround). So, can anyone tell me what differences does the video - and audioquality have compared to the original? The perfect sessions-box has original quality. Will I have to bye them both? Razz

PS. Not sure if this is the right board to write this in, if it isn't please feel free to tell me where it should be moved!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:09 am Reply with quote
The remix collection came after the Perfect Sessions collection as a way to allow fans to purchase the series since other offerings are long out of print.

I did not notice a difference in video quality on one of those old TVs using CRT screens, but I can't compare how they'd look on today's flat panels/rear projections. PS on a plasma TV looks really good, so I'll assume the other will look as equally good.

However, given the series was originally released in 4:3 480i, I seriously doubt there's "video improvement" enough that will require you to own both.

What it will come down to now is your choice of which offers more that you want.

As an owner of the Perfect Sessions collection, I'm not impressed of having to reset my audio/subtitling options every time I change a disk. A minor inconvenience, but as you noted, there are more extras.

If it's the series you're after, then go with the Remix collection. It contains more DVDs, but only because the disks hold fewer episodes to compensate for the larger video files. Fewer extras would be the loss, but I do believe it's also less expensive.

One note about audio: I didn't notice a difference there, either, but that's through a Sony "all-in-one" HTS which isn't the greatest. Audiophiles may have to shed some light if the 5.1 was improved or simply copied.

Hope this helps.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
Another thing I want to add to the Cowboy Bebop Remix collection is I really like the flipper design. It seems really nice and well built (at least compared to my GitS: SAC flippers).
Treiz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm waiting to see if/when the series gets a bluray release, until then my original dvds will do
Cabal17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The big thing the Remix set has is 5.1 audio in both English and Japanese, the Perfect Sessions is only 2.0. The video is slightly remastered, but its not a huge upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd just stick with the Cowboy Bebop Remix set. It's updated more, and it's available and not too much money, so if it's money you're concerned about, go with Remix.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
As there are no edits on either, I'd say whichever set you can get the cheapest would be best, and that's probably Remix. Though if you do get a good deal on Perfect Sessions, it's pretty rare, so it'd be a good idea.
atownlikejosh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
I have the Remix box set and I love it! It has all the sessions and some cool extras (such as Session 0 which is kind of a making of) all for about about £20. What more could you ask for? Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
I would just recommend getting the Remix box as it's a lot easier to find and I've seen it as cheap as $30 so there really is no reason to pick it up at all.

Also don't be fooled by the bootleg version of the perfect sessions as when I was a younger anime fan a fell completely for this not realizing it was a Chinese bootleg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
I'd just stick with the Cowboy Bebop Remix set. It's updated more, and it's available and not too much money, so if it's money you're concerned about, go with Remix.

Agreed, also the "Perfect Sessions" version is long out print so chances are high what you'd actually be ordering is bootleg instead. I actually got scammed this way myself with the series. Go with the Remix collection. It's available, and pretty cheap, plus the sound quality is a lot better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1