• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suggesting themes in new audit system...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
This is probably written somewhere but...

Under the new audit system how do you submit new themes for anime?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
You go to the anime that you want to add a theme for, select "Themes" in the dropdown list, click "I know this", and add the theme.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Dropdown list? ah thanks!
Kaijin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The problem I've noticed with this new theme system (and I do like the idea) is that people are adding all sorts of nonsensical things that aren't themes. People clearly aren't reading the difference between theme and genre, because they are adding "Sports" as a theme when it is clearly a genre. They are also adding things like "Step-brother and sister" as themes. Why? How the hell is that a theme? Those are character relations within the story, not themes. The audit is a good way of removing the problems, but perhaps an example list of things NOT to add as themes to avoid some more errors, just like the example list of suggested themes. I know people don't usually read much of the rules beforehand, but it's worth a try.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I think maybe there should also be a note when adding themes that it is unnecessary to list any of the genres as themes. I just saw a couple genres pop up as themes in a few audits.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else keep seeing submitted themes that don't really represent the anime at all? I just saw "Sports" for Lovely Complex. Yes, Ootani is in the basketball club at school, Risa, trying to win his love, cheers for him, and a few basketball games are shown, but for the most part, it's an extremely minor part of the series. If I were describing the show to someone, I wouldn't even mention basketball, and no one would watch the show just for the small amount of "Sports" content.

I think some people are confused, although, "Also a theme should represent a core element of the story; for example Princess Nine has tennis in a few episodes but it is not an anime about tennis. Ask yourself if you would watch this title only for the X" explains what a theme is perfectly. I can only hope the audits really do what they are supposed to and mistakes like this will be taken care of quickly.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Kaijin wrote:
They are also adding things like "Step-brother and sister" as themes. Why? How the hell is that a theme?

Because it's ludicrously common, common enough to count as one?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Kaijin wrote:
They are also adding things like "Step-brother and sister" as themes. Why? How the hell is that a theme?

Because it's ludicrously common, common enough to count as one?

Anime with brothers and sisters are also common, but that doesn't mean it matters enough for it to count as a theme. And if it were that common, shouldn't it produce more than 1 result?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Anime with brothers and sisters are also common, but that doesn't mean it matters enough for it to count as a theme.

Agreed. Worse still, we now have "teenagers" as a theme. Wouldn't that apply to about 90% of all anime and manga on the market?

Also, more duplications popping up:
"Boxing" and "Sports (boxing)"
"School" and "High School"
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
I've been seeing a lot of duplicate themes, too. For example, Victorian Romance Emma has both "Historical" and "historical (england)" listed as themes. Since both of these are actually accurate, neither one is likely to disappear using the audit system, because no one will vote "incorrect" on either one. They will both stay, even though only one is really needed.

I think the whole theme system is just a little too "free." Users can put in anything and everything, which is leading to a lot of silly or incorrect themes being submitted.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
We've brought this up in the staff forum. The suggestion so far has been to have an audit system for creating new themes.

-t
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
We've brought this up in the staff forum. The suggestion so far has been to have an audit system for creating new themes.

-t

Sounds like the best solution but the duplications and halfwitted themes that have already been added will still presumably need removing.

Also, it would be nice if, once a theme audit system is in place, there was a sticky thread where people could argue for or against new themes before they added them and an audit became necessary. At the very least, that would enable other users to point out if something was a duplicate (or just plain stupid) and therefore possibly reduce the number of audits necessary.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Here's an idea...

I used to have a program that let me make crossword puzzles. I would put in the words I wanted to use, and it would make them for me. However, if one word/phrase contained another one (or if it was contained in another), it wouldn't let me do it. For example, I was making one for Pokémon and I was listing all of the Japanese and English character names, and after I had "Ash" in there, it wouldn't let me put "Musashi".

Would it be possible to add something similar to this to the theme system? So, to use above examples, if someone tried to add "High School" as a theme, a message would pop up telling them that the theme "School" already exists. Or if you tried to add "Historical (England)", it would tell you "Historical" already existed.

On another question... Does it set up a series of audits every time someone submits something? Because I had the exact same audit twice in a row ("Historical" for Chrno Crusade), but the first one didn't have a source and the second one did.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
I see 3 possibilities:

a) pre-approve themes: people submit theme suggestions, the suggestions are audited, those that make it through the audit process can be added to anime/manga titles.

b) post-reject themes: people enter whatever themes they want, and audits would also have the option to blacklist the theme in addition to discarding it. For example, shoujo and shounen are already blacklisted; it's impossible to add those as theme for *any* anime.

c) status quo: let the audits take care of removing the silly stuff. The idea of letting anyone enter anything often sounds ridiculous, but it's the reason why wikipedia is so frakin popular. Maybe if we give it a little more time we'll discover that the silly themes disappear quickly. The shakedown cruise is not yet over!

And actually now that I think of it... a mix of a) and b) sounds nice. I would let people submit whatever they want, but when a completely new theme is submitted, an audit would be automatically started for it, and there would be the option to select "discard, this does not even fit the description of a theme"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
And actually now that I think of it... a mix of a) and b) sounds nice. I would let people submit whatever they want, but when a completely new theme is submitted, an audit would be automatically started for it, and there would be the option to select "discard, this does not even fit the description of a theme"

That sounds like a workable solution. The only flaw I see in it is that it doesn't solve the problem of already existing duplications where multiple themes are correct but describe the same thing (e.g. School / High School or Bishojo / Bishoujo) so there would still have to be some weeding out of the current entries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4