• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kosaku Shima Manga to Be Revised After Depicting Man Paid to Protest Against U.S. Base

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackson Hill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I find it amazing that even with all these events, there are still many fans who refuse to see how in many aspects japanese entertainment is limited to childish subjects, while serious themes in their society need to be censored. We already saw this a few years ago with Lock Back.

I just hope that this evidence shows that there is no such thing as "japanese authors can write about whatever they want, unlike in the West".
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm not suprised by this. I don't think this is the US asking a manga creator to backdoor, but Japan itself toning the themes down for being too honest. Shin Godzilla was all about hwo Japan can't help but censor itself.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Guess there's still some Japanese-Western tension.
Smongo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Like all countries with laws that backfired like US & Prohibition of Alcohol & other laws, Japan has a history of censorship especially with the famous example of the 1907 law (article 175) forbidding publishing sexual obscene material and until as recently as 1986 with Toshio Maeda and the rest is history.

ON A SERIOUS NOTE: As someone who’s been to Okinawa plenty of times and known several victims and witnesses (one of those being my HS wrestling coach who’s been in the US Marines for 25 years and was on the Okinawa base in 1995 & saw the scum bags fleeing into the base after the crime they’ve committed to make sure the US protect them from Japanese attorneys from taking them, go look up Okinawa 1995 incident), the US needs to get out. Not saying all us military personnel are criminals/scum bags (have friends and family in military), but US military imperialism and how the rich & elite run our governments is we have so many problems from corrupt politicians accepting brides from US company like Lockheed Martin & other private military contractors, Agent Orange poisoning of Vietnamese & US, Banana Republics, what we are seeing now in Gaza, how US and other countries treat their armed forces, etc.

To keep it short, The people of Okinawa & other military occupied place have had it enough for too long and deserve to be free. Media such as manga, video games, etc. should reflect the truth about our reality which we live in and provide more insight into these situations & what we reflect from it/ how we fix it.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Smongo wrote:
ON A SERIOUS NOTE: As someone who’s been to Okinawa plenty of times and known several victims and witnesses (one of those being my HS wrestling coach who’s been in the US Marines for 25 years and was on the Okinawa base in 1995 & saw the scum bags fleeing into the base after the crime they’ve committed to make sure the US protect them from Japanese attorneys from taking them, go look up Okinawa 1995 incident), the US needs to get out. Not saying all us military personnel are criminals/scum bags (have friends and family in military), but US military imperialism and how the rich & elite run our governments is we have so many problems from corrupt politicians accepting brides from US company like Lockheed Martin & other private military contractors, Agent Orange poisoning of Vietnamese & US, Banana Republics, what we are seeing now in Gaza, how US and other countries treat their armed forces, etc.

Yeah no. What is this absurd, insane, one sided opinion you are pushing?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 7:47 pm Reply with quote
There is an easy way to solve this. Make a sequel chapter where the company finds out that it got bamboozled and clean the water like that. But yeah. (Seinen) Mangaka can write about almost anything they want, even the teen-targeted Jump+ has tons of truly demeaning content in Japan, but if it´s directly related to real-world Japanese issues with names attached then you are toast. Oishinbo is still on hiatus after a decade despite being one of the bestselling comics of all time. Shinzo Abe himself added his 2 cents back then. Lol. That could never happen in America due to Hustler Magazine v. Falwell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Magazine_v._Falwell and our European satire is equally out there and famously got a few cartoonists murdered in my lifetime.

The ballsy-as-hell Kamen Rider Black Sun made sure that everyone had legally distinct names and didn´t line up too closely to the people the show was a hit against. Image, Dark Horse or DC´s adult imprints won´t let you write about an Issekai rapist on the other hand but have no problem ripping apart a standing president with the Batman logo on the cover:

You will not believe where Frank Miller went in 2019 with Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child. What a complicated man. Boy oh boy and I am curious about the Darwin's Incident anime´s reception next year.

Finally, does Sega have more of a backbone than Kodansha? Yakuza 6 says so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1