• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? V

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I am not a light novel reader, tho i did spend about 1.000 hours in Danmemo over the span of 3 years. I got the Syr thing spoiled a few years ago. so it is funny for me to see the hints because while i know the what i do not know the how and why
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:13 pm Reply with quote
LukaTheLancer wrote:
I got the Syr thing spoiled a few years ago. so it is funny for me to see the hints because while i know the what i do not know the how and why

Those will come out before the arc's over.

As for the review, great analysis of the first three episodes, especially likening Freya Familia to a cult. The way different familias are structured and act differently is a point that I have long felt gets under-emphasized in discussions and analyses about the series, and it's absolutely critical to fully understanding this arc.

There was also a little Easter Egg in this episode for long-time players of Memoria Freese: one of the hero statues on the Hero's Bridge was clearly meant to be spoiler[Fianna, the leader of the Knights of Fianna,] which is a canon part of the setting's backstory that was featured in a multi-part game event. When Finn speaks about restoring the glory of his race, he's referring to this person in particular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
andramus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 5:40 pm Reply with quote
How many gods and familias are there in Orario? I get the impression it's in the hundreds. Or at least dozens. They can't all be as distinctively different as the ones discussed in this review. Some must be more alike than others where the differences are more subtle.

Are there any familias with more than one god as the head? For example a married god couple?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The comedy is top tier, but Syr's cuteness is no slouch either. It's nice seeing Ais express care for Bell.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd wondered if they were going to adapt the "Episode Freya" light novel before doing this arc, maybe as a four episode OVA or something.

It seems not.

That's actually a bit of a pity, because what Episode Freya emphasizes - and this is important -spoiler[ is that Freya is not evil. Quite the opposite - she's on the side of order against chaos.]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I like how this season started. I hope to enjoy it as much as season 4.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Really happy to have Danmachi back!

I've always felt Syr was an underrated girl in the show and I'm eager to see her in the spotlight and her complicated dynamic with Freya and the Freya Familia, as well ash er sincere love for Bell, explored in full. And she made for a heckuva date with Bell.

(I feel bad for Ryu though...)

Also, Ais is back! And jealous? And protective!
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:54 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
The comedy is top tier, but Syr's cuteness is no slouch either. It's nice seeing Ais express care for Bell.

im more surprised their in speaking terms after the xenos arc, which gets detailed even more so during vol 11 of the sword oratoria LN!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 7:49 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
How many gods and familias are there in Orario? I get the impression it's in the hundreds. Or at least dozens. They can't all be as distinctively different as the ones discussed in this review. Some must be more alike than others where the differences are more subtle.

Are there any familias with more than one god as the head? For example a married god couple?

All of the gods and familias present in Orario have never been listed in full that I'm aware of, but you're correct about there being at least several dozen. (I suspect original writer Omori has deliberately kept this vague to allow for later story expansion.) Side novels, Sword Oratoria content beyond what's been animated, and game entries show that there are also a large number of familias out there which either currently or always have operated entirely outside of Orario, too.

None of the familias that have been revealed to date are centered on more than one god, so if that's even possible, we've not seen it. Although Zeus and Hera Familias seem to have been allied, they were separate familias.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:02 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

im more surprised their in speaking terms after the xenos arc, which gets detailed even more so during vol 11 of the sword oratoria LN!

They did make up at the end of the arc.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think Syr was being selfish, even in episode 3. I do think Bell missed his chance to breathlessly ask, at the end of her spiel, "Who are you? What are you!?" but the woman who's been throwing food, help and attention his way for four full seasons now has her chance to be in the spotlight by asking Bell to be there for her when the time is right... in other words, be Bell, has every right to do so. He's going to do it anyway, may as well get ahead of the scenario.

And even if I didn't know the SPOILER already, which I guess is the worst kept secret in anime, I would have known it from the spoiler opener and ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1