• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin: Hokkaido Arc Manga Continues Hiatus Due to Nobuhiro Watsuki's Poor Health

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turtleboy76

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:40 am Reply with quote
Normally any RuroKen news always gets delayed on here, but boy they were quick to report n this. They didn't even post the new trailer for the Kyoto arc.
animaters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:38 am Reply with quote
if he made amends and sought help after what he did, i wish him recovery

if not, the reverse.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
I'm a human being. Not a scumbag. Even though Nobuhiro Watsuki did.....terrible things I'm not heartless either. So I'll hope that he has a recovery.

And I foresee many getting onto my case just because I decided to be nice towards somebody who doesn't deserve it, but I still stand by my actions.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:16 am Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:
Normally any RuroKen news always gets delayed on here, but boy they were quick to report n this. They didn't even post the new trailer for the Kyoto arc.

That's a lie. The newest trailer according to the official website is this one.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-09-16/new-rurouni-kenshin-anime-season-2-video-reveals-more-cast-opening-song-october-3-premiere/.215595

News posted about it on September 16, within 24 hours of the video going up on Aniplex's channel. Anyone can quickly find news articles about any given anime or manga by checking its Encyclopedia page or using the site's search function.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:

Like the person or not, we try to post relevant news as quickly as possible. The feelings of the ANN team are rarely cause for delay, although it would be acceptable for an editor with extremely strong feelings on a matter to opt out of covering it and leave it for another editor, perhaps causing a delay.

Any actual delays in any news coverage on ANN is because we have a limited team and there is sometimes a lot of news in the queue.

Other delays or omissions you perceive may in fact be imagined. For example, our news article about the new trailer was published the same day the trailer was released.

I will point out that there are news publications that do have a policy to no longer cover Kenshin because of Watsuki. I respect their decision, but the ANN position that we should cover the good, bad and ugly of the anime industry.

-t
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:47 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I hope this arc ends soon. It's basically Kenshin leading the Juppongatana like the Avengers like a superhero to protect Japan.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:23 am Reply with quote
TheOnePieceIsReal wrote:
I'm a human being. Not a scumbag. Even though Nobuhiro Watsuki did.....terrible things I'm not heartless either. So I'll hope that he has a recovery.

I am also a human being, but I cannot wish good things for a garbage person. Karma is a bitch.
Turtleboy76

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Like the person or not, we try to post relevant news as quickly as possible. The feelings of the ANN team are rarely cause for delay, although it would be acceptable for an editor with extremely strong feelings on a matter to opt out of covering it and leave it for another editor, perhaps causing a delay.

Any actual delays in any news coverage on ANN is because we have a limited team and there is sometimes a lot of news in the queue.

Other delays or omissions you perceive may in fact be imagined. For example, our news article about the new trailer was published the same day the trailer was released.

I will point out that there are news publications that do have a policy to no longer cover Kenshin because of Watsuki. I respect their decision, but the ANN position that we should cover the good, bad and ugly of the anime industry.

-t

Great response.

After that poll last year that showed around 70% of the site had either gotten over or was indifferent to Watsuki i assumed there would be a shift, even if the latest anime was shafted from any rankings or reviews, even though it still ended up on one staff members worst of list for that season.

Given the popularity of the next arc and the eventual release of the Jinchuu arc after 3 decades, are we likely to see coverage?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Watsuki is one of this medium's greatest monsters but the manga ain´t even good enough to pirate. The art is solid and that´s about it. Character development and conclusions are rolled back, the whole cast is flanderized and the villains would struggle to make it into a 90s fighting game. The manga is halfway through Vol 10 with 2/3rd of that being bloat, disregarding the bad ideas that are the foundation. Both Watsuki the man and the mangaka are doing their best to piss away their legacy. Embalming was good. I´ll give him and this wife that.

The manga sells about 200k a volume so it´s lucrative. Especially by Jump SQ standards. I fully expect this sleeping pill to get an anime in the late 20s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I am also a human being, but I cannot wish good things for a garbage person. Karma is a bitch.

I never wished for Watsuki to get good things. I just hoped he makes a recovery. Nothing more. What you're doing is what we call "Kicking them while they're down". And good people don't kick people while they are down even if they don't deserve your respect.

Don't get me wrong I condemn Watsuki's actions, but I don't condone wishing he doesn't make a full recovery or thinking he deserves it just because of his actions. Because that makes you more of a scumbag then him. And I refuse to lower myself then the guy who owned disturbing pictures of minors by wishing him the worst of luck or thinking he deserved getting sick. You become the better person by either pushing your bias to the side or just ignoring any news related to him in general. It's as simple as that.

Like I said: I have no regrets for my actions. You can disagree with me, but that's all it'll be: A disagreement.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The 2003 season of Kenshin was included in our ratings, It did ok, but not our reviews.

While our newsteam has the responsibility to cover the "good, bad & ugly," our editorial team has the discretion to refuse to participate in the promotion of anime they find morally repugnant. Personally, I'd review it (grudgingly), but I'm not going to force them to. I don't think they will review it.

Quote:
After that poll last year that showed around 70% of the site had either gotten over or was indifferent to Watsuki,

This isn't quite accurate. People choose to answer the surveys they care about. When you run a survey about a person, people who like that person's work are more likely to reply. This is very clearly evidenced in the responses to the first question where 65% of the respondents said they were a fan of Kenshin.

We know how to avoid this (blind & random surveys), but my purpose with that survey was actually to see the difference between Kenshin fans and non-fans, so the survey was written to answer that question, not the "what % of ANN readers..." I would have done the survey very differently if it was being designed to answer the latter question.

FWIW, RK Fans:

» He has paid for his crime, it's time to move on 30%
» I don't like that he's involved, but I'm still going to watch Kenshin 20%
» I will never watch or read something by Watsuki again 26%
» Undecided if I will watch or not 8%
» What he did is no big deal, it's not worth cancelling him over 7%
» I was not aware of his conviction before reading this survey; I need to learn more about it before I decide < 1 %

Non Fans:
» I will never watch or read something by Watsuki again 37%
» He has paid for his crime, it's time to move on 23%
» I don't like that he's involved, but I'm still going to watch Kenshin 22%
» Undecided if I will watch or not 10%
» What he did is no big deal, it's not worth cancelling him over 6.27%
» I was not aware of his conviction before reading this survey; I need to learn more about it before I decide 1%
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd like to read some review of the new anime series on the site (negative or worse comments; I wouldn't expect positive ones anyway). An overall or one-time review would be interesting to read. I understand not wanting to do it due to the author's past actions, but an adaptation involves much more people than just its creator. It doesn't seem to me that reviewing a work inherently implies promoting it, and if any reader were to reach that conclusion, I'm sure most would know that that wouldn't be your purpose. But well, this is just my point of view.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad it's not getting actively reviewed. It's a small thing, but no need to actively help expand Watsuki's audience any further.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:

Given the popularity of the next arc and the eventual release of the Jinchuu arc after 3 decades, are we likely to see coverage?

Not from the editorial department.

The episodes should still be available for ranking regardless, and if the series gets enough votes, it will appear in the Your Anime Ranking charts: animenewsnetwork.com/weekly-ranking/2024/summer/.216099
RupanSansei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:30 pm Reply with quote
TheOnePieceIsReal wrote:

And I foresee many getting onto my case just because I decided to be nice towards somebody who doesn't deserve it, but I still stand by my actions.

What did he do? i haven't thought about RuroKen since ADV went under.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2