• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: KamiErabi GOD.app Season 1 Anime Series Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YackDe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This whole review gets framed around Yoko Taro when all he's credited for is "Original Concept" (ie he scribbled a sentence or two on a napkin and said they could use his name for marketing purposes).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this also funded by the Saudis?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:21 pm Reply with quote
This one had the lowest-rated debut episode of the Fall '24 season in my book, and I'll take this review as further justification for not bothering to watch any more of it. The problems the reviewer mentions are fully evident even in the first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:52 am Reply with quote
It wasn't that bad, sure it could have been better, but I have seen worse.

The new FLCL's and Bokura no Ameiro Protocol from the same season come to mind.
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:40 am Reply with quote
I disagree. It seems trashy if you've only watched the first episode, but KamiErabi is a lot of fun. I'm not sure where they're getting "underdeveloped characters" from. As far as anime CG goes, I've seen a lot worse - it's not amazing but they integrated it into the style of the show in a way that they made lemonade with lemons here.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm as critical as they come, but I actually enjoyed KamiErabi.

Granted, the only reason I stuck around was because Yoko Taro's name was attached to it, so I was fully expecting all the subversion and crazy messed up character stuff that comes with NieR to be here... and I wasn't disappointed!

It sort of does to super powered Battle Royale what Madoka Magica does for magical girls, a highly unusual cynical subversion of the genre.

I actually found the characters very interesting, and it really goes to some unexpected places, so it certainly wasn't predictable.

Granted, the CG animation really isn't great, so production-wise it's a miss, especially aesthetically with regards to character designs and stylism, and I usually always skip bad CG shows... But the story was good enough to overcome that in my mind.

I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something very different and loves a dark show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1